Main Menu

Bullying in a squadron

Started by Spencezilla, February 22, 2018, 05:01:58 AM

Luis R. Ramos

No, I am not OK with a minor being constantly bullied. But being a retired public school teacher I have learned that what minors call bullying is not. Minors sometimes are known to misidentify what does bullying consist. As Cicero claims, it can be investigated at the local level without calling the police.

And remember that in most states, like New York, teachers are child abuse mandated reporters. And are trained in spotting so.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Pylon

Knock off the contest, gentlemen. Only warning.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 22, 2018, 08:26:25 PM
No, I am not OK with a minor being constantly bullied. But being a retired public school teacher I have learned that what minors call bullying is not. Minors sometimes are known to misidentify what does bullying consist. As Cicero claims, it can be investigated at the local level without calling the police.

And remember that in most states, like New York, teachers are child abuse mandated reporters. And are trained in spotting so.

You know I could have called bs and said it's not.  I didn't and chose to give the benefit of the doubt that everyone cries about. 

If there is assault or harrasement then a police report is the way to go.  The advice doesn't have to be taken but it's bunk and foul to say what was said. 

I can tell you as a former cop that documentation goes a long way in dealing with things especially bullying.  I can tell you as the parent of a bullied child I dealt with it and it stopped.

My advice was sound, just and approppriate.  You don't have to like it or agree with it it wasn't given to either of you.

CAPLTC

Immediately contact your Deputy Commander for Cadets.
If you cannot contact the DCC, contact the Squadron Commander.
Are your parents engaged?

Quote from: Spencezilla on February 22, 2018, 05:01:58 AM
I am a C/SSgt in the Oregon Wing. We have this C/Sra soon to be C/SSgt and he is bullying me. I told our cadet commanders what will happen to the bully.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Live2Learn

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 02:17:42 PM

Bullying which usually includes some type of assault or harrasement, which are both crimes..  File a police report start the trail.

maybe.  OP has not provided details sufficient to made an informed judgment.  The best advice I've seen is discuss it with the DCC or CC. 

OldGuy

Quote from: Live2Learn on February 22, 2018, 10:05:42 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 02:17:42 PM

Bullying which usually includes some type of assault or harrasement, which are both crimes..  File a police report start the trail.

maybe.  OP has not provided details sufficient to made an informed judgment.  The best advice I've seen is discuss it with the DCC or CC.
Exactly. Bullying is a vague and subjective verb in this context. We have no clue what happened. Engaging the adults - parents and Senior Members is the best practice absent any specific data that would indicate escalation.

vorteks

I am a C/SSgt in the Oregon Wing. We have this C/Sra soon to be C/SSgt and he is bullying me. I told our cadet commanders what will happen to the bully.
Um didn't this get anyone's attention?

abdsp51

Yeah talking to a bully really does the trick.  When it gets worse as it usually does ya'll be eating crow.

OldGuy

The correct procedures are outlined in CAPR 52-10 4-1 et seq. and reporting under CPAR 20-1.

OldGuy

Quote from: vorteks on February 22, 2018, 10:27:01 PM
I read that as a question.

I have never written this before but it is time to lock this thread. 

Johnny Yuma

OP if believe you were bullied or hazed you need to report this immediately to your unit commander or barring that your wing commander along with your parents.

While all forms of bullying and hazing are out of line for any CAP member it may or may not rise to the level of being a criminal offense. This is where your parents and CAP command need to deal with it together. 
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Fester

Quote from: vorteks on February 22, 2018, 10:27:01 PM

Yes, I saw it.  Which is why my response was "your Cadet Commander or a Senior Member Commander?"
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: 754837 on February 22, 2018, 10:47:08 PM

No, it's not.  It's time for the ADULTS that are arguing over this to remove themselves and allow the real adults to help guide this cadet through this in an appropriate matter.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

CAP9907

Already been done.

The OP's concern has been addressed, if it ever existed in the 1st place (troll?) and good advice given. End.

Quote from: Fester on February 23, 2018, 02:13:44 AM
Quote from: 754837 on February 22, 2018, 10:47:08 PM

No, it's not.  It's time for the ADULTS that are arguing over this to remove themselves and allow the real adults to help guide this cadet through this in an appropriate matter.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret