Have I erred? (Insignia on ABU for Senior Members)

Started by Holding Pattern, July 09, 2017, 10:01:27 PM

Holding Pattern

When I sewed on my 1st LT insignia and pulled up the ABU wear instructions, I read the following:

"Officer Rank Insignia. Officers will wear light silver, or for 2
d Lt and Majors gold, embroidered
rank insignia on dark blue cloth. General Officer rank will be centered, perpendicular to, and begin 1 inch from the
bottom of the collar. General officers will wear 1 inch stars; General Officers unable to wear 1 inch stars will wear
¾ inch stars. Colonel rank will be centered, perpendicular to, and 1 inch from the bottom of the collar. Lieutenant
Colonel and Major's rank will be centered 1 inch from the bottom of the collar with the stem parallel to the ground
and pointing away from the wearer's neck. The long end of the Lieutenant and Captain bars will be centered 1 inch
from the bottom of the collar.
"

What I didn't see is the measurement of how much blue there should be on each side of the LT bar.

Further down under the cadet insignia section though, it says:

"Cadet Officer Rank Insignia. Cadet Officers center regular size, full color insignia light silver
on dark blue embroidered cloth sewn on the collar one inch from the front of the collar and centered. All light silver
on dark blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia. Cadet
Colonels and cadet Captains may wear miniature, embroidered insignia."

Is that the same for the Senior members or is there separate guidance I should have referred to?

Abby.L

Should be the same. As a general rule, it's 1/8th inch of cloth around the widest and tallest part of whatever it is that you're sewing on, which includes rank and any specialty badges. Don't know what it doesn't say that on the SM portion, but that may have been an oversight.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

NIN

Chances are its a oversight, missing from the guidance.  I've been using 1/8" around insignia since Curry was a corporal.  Literally *every* other uniform uses that measurement *and* the AF's own guidance, too.

Or something..
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

Got it. I saw several uniforms recently (not just CAP) that were different on the measurements and I was more than a little concerned that I missed something.