Main Menu

Fidget Spinners

Started by Mrodriguez, May 22, 2017, 04:32:18 AM

Mrodriguez

Fidget spinners, blocks, toys in general? Are they allowed at your meetings or how do you handle them. Discuss.
SM. RODRIGUEZ

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Mrodriguez on May 22, 2017, 04:32:18 AM
Fidget spinners, blocks, toys in general? Are they allowed at your meetings or how do you handle them. Discuss.

Your question. Why not start the discussion? Tell us about your Squadron instead of tossing something into the room so you can watch others deal with your issue.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Angus

I'd be curious myself to see what others have done.  We haven't set anything yet at mine because it hasn't become a problem, I have observed at least one cadet using one during a meeting while I was giving the monthly safety briefing.  I know here in Massachusetts some school districts are banning them from the schools.  I'm of the belief that we should ban them as well there's no scientific evidence that they truly help anyone keep focus.  They're just the latest like slap bracelets were about 25 years ago. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Майор Хаткевич

They shouldn't have a place at meetings, as cadets/SMs in theory have other things to do?

Ravenwings

If you have students that have Autism or ADHD, they can help. I would rather have the silent toy being spun about than a clicking pen, or pen tapping. The thing is I never have seen Cadets do this, it has always been the Senior Officers.

Angus

Quote from: Ravenwings on May 22, 2017, 04:16:02 PM
If you have students that have Autism or ADHD, they can help. I would rather have the silent toy being spun about than a clicking pen, or pen tapping. The thing is I never have seen Cadets do this, it has always been the Senior Officers.

As I stated above there is no proof that they work.  http://www.npr.org/2017/05/14/527988954/whirring-purring-fidget-spinners-provide-entertainment-not-adhd-help
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Blanding

What harm are they causing that would necessitate a ban?

Angus

Quote from: Blanding on May 22, 2017, 04:47:10 PM
What harm are they causing that would necessitate a ban?

They're causing distractions by the student and other students in the schools.  When I was giving the safety briefing and saw one being used I have to say as a presenter I found it distracting to have someone using one while I was talking. 

Here's a piece that was done on it here in Massachusetts. http://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/School-Bans-Fidget-Spinners-420947014.html
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Spam

As toys, they can be distracting and disruptive during classes and training events. Further, their use in uniform could be considered as unmilitary in bearing, and inappropriate. Over the years I've had good C/NCOs act to confiscate metric tons of different toys, knives, "necessary survival tools" being waved around, oddball compasses, you name it. Same principle: stay on focus, stay on topic, preserve good military bearing.

As therapeutic devices, some items can be very effective in helping certain people control fidgeting and tics. I have one cadet (disclosure: one of my sons) on the autism spectrum who also is diagnosed with Turret's and a few other things, and uses a "clicker" (a thumb sized toy with buttons and wheels and such, non functional) to which he transfers his need to tic or move his hands. He's learned to keep it in a pocket, or discreetly work it within his palm to avoid having the unit itself become a distraction/discussion item.  (Now, we get into the side bar about keeping your hands out of your pockets in uniform... and I repost the Chesty Puller pics, ha ha).

So, case by case basis, I would say.

V/r
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

Funny you should mention it. This past weekend one of the news channels presented a problem related to Safety. One of the wheels on a fidget came off, it went to a girl's throat, they had to go to a doctor take it out. Luckily the wheel had a hole in the middle. If not for this hole she would have choked.

As a teacher, I see a lot of these on classrooms. They serve to control students, however if I see a student looking at it instead of paying attention to the subject matter I will ask them to put away.

One member stated "it causes distractions." It causes who to be distracted? The cadet using it? I do not think so. Other members in the room? That is probably the concern of the member answering it. If so that is on you, not on the member. This morning on a bus I saw a girl operating a fidget at the same time she was using her cell phone to text, read her messages, and start an online lesson. I guess by now students-and cadets-are so used to multitasking that they can use their fidgets w / o problems  or distractions!

I do agree with another poster. It is unmilitary. However it should follow your policy. Do you ban toys in general at meetings? Do you ban electronic games? If so, you could ban the fidgets. If not, then you should not ban them.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 22, 2017, 08:27:05 PM
Funny you should mention it. This past weekend one of the news channels presented a problem related to Safety. One of the wheels on a fidget came off, it went to a girl's throat, they had to go to a doctor take it out. Luckily the wheel had a hole in the middle. If not for this hole she would have choked.

She put it in her mouth to "clean it".

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/mother-of-girl-who-almost-choked-to-death-on-fidget-spinner-warns-parents-about-toy-craze/story-30346308-detail/story.html

"She said she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it."

This isn't a a "spinner issue" so much as a "Why is a 10-year old putting toys in her mouth..." problem.  This is why we can't have nice things.

With that said, they don't belong at meetings, especially in uniform, but they also shouldn't require any "policy" or anything more then a look
to make them go away.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Just wait until someone makes challenge coin fidget spinners..    >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Come on!  It would look great with the triangle thingy logo superimposed across the three circle points! 

OW!  OK, OK, I'M **SORRY**!

Jester

I can totally see some high-ranking cat try that to connect with the young people.

PA Guy

The fact that we are even having this conversation about cadets and toys is soooo depressing. The cadet program has lost its way. :'( :'( :'(

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 24, 2017, 03:47:27 AM
Just wait until someone makes challenge coin fidget spinners..    >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Come on!  It would look great with the triangle thingy logo superimposed across the three circle points! 

OW!  OK, OK, I'M **SORRY**!

Atill Hand Spinner, High Speed Spinner Fidget Toys with Stainless Steel Bearing for ADHD, Anxiety, Autism, Stressed Adults and Children (Brass Golden) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY1GKCP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7WqjzbWEJ1Y50

SMWOG

I have ADHD, me and a few others seniors just bring are action figures to the meeting and play with those when we can't concentrate. So I think we need to get sage boots.

Spam

Case by case, I repeat. In all cases toys and trinkets need to be out of view and not played with in ranks. Pick one of the equivalent items you can keep in a pocket (worry stone, clicker, etc.) or it WILL bring down C/NCO wrath.  Repeat offenders will be noted for consideration (negatively) at promotion boards, activity selection boards, when cadet staff jobs are filled, and when LORs are requested.

I'm the dad of such a cadet myself and I have about zero tolerance for the "WAH, I need a therapy pig, and I need separate quarters for it at encampment" crowd. Yet, back in the day, WIWAC, I have zero doubt that we actively harassed and made cadet life suck for such kids, until they quit the program. I watched it happen. Today, we have room for them - but not for using their differences to be anarchic. This is a tradeoff between helping them control tics which would be a distraction, and amplifying the transference therapy into behavior (spinning/clicking) which itself is a distraction to peers.

On a lighter note, I love how somehow I got spell corrected to "Turrets" syndrome. Cool - make mine a Ma Deuce 50 cal turret.

V/r
Spam

https://www.tourette.org/about-tourette/overview/what-is-tourette/?gclid=CNj0lunhh9QCFdcZgQod2PICcg

https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/asperger-syndrome

xray328

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THRAWN

In six months, these will go the way of POGs.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023