WWII in a official presentation

Started by LATORRECA, May 15, 2017, 04:59:20 AM

LATORRECA

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This morning browsing through the news, I found this article and a  pics in it. As you will see the Wing Cmdr is using the WWII uniform.
  My question is why and if is allowed. I'm curious if this a guy trying to reenact or simply breaking the regulation as using a not approved uniform for a official presentation.
    Like I said just CURIOUS.

Article:
http://www.newjerseyhills.com/bernardsville_news/news/bernardsville-cadet-honored-by-civil-air-patrol/article_d3cd7d93-6bac-5e4c-bce7-70e7a0869b59.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SarDragon

While I don't think there is specific mention is any regs concerning this, there is precedent for wearing historical uniforms in ceremonial occasions. As long it's properly outfitted with insignia, etc., I doubt that anyone in a position of real authority will make it an issue. We have someone in CAWG with an extensive collection of historical uniforms who wears one or another on various occasions. If he sees this, he might even comment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

+1 Shouldn't be worn anywhere a uniform is "required", but conferences, ceremonies, even parades, no biggie.

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Roger, I just wondering why. I only see the old uniforms on reenactments or historical cap booth.

R/S
Top Latorre

Mitchell 1969

There is a difference between being a "re-enactor" and being somebody in office wearing an old uniform. I see lots of re-enactors wearing Confederate uniforms. Nobody ever thinks that they are actual Confederate colonels or sergeants. They are simply people wearing costumes.

This photo seems to be deliberately blurring the lines. The presentation was at what, a Region Conference? And the presenter is the current Wing Commander, presenting a current program milestone award. Yet, he is costumed, yes, costumed, as a WWII pilot assigned to anti-submarine duties with an Air Medal. So, what is he? Re-enactor? Or Wing Commander?

I'd have a lot less concern if he wore it to a room set up as a historical display venue but wore something current for official duties.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

LATORRECA

Just wondering. Nothing else. Never seen it, during official duties. Just asking

R/S
Top Latorre

Cliff_Chambliss

He may be onto something.
1.  The uniform is distinctive.
2.  The uniform would have historical significance;  (witness the US Army return to blue uniforms and the ex USAF Chief of Staff attempting push to adopt the 1918 style dress uniform).
3.  Being that it's not a current uniform everyone could wear it without regard to weight grooming standards.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

LATORRECA

Make it Corporate. Not bad. Let's keep the fairy internal. Like it. I wonder how will it work for the supply or surplus of uniforms. Interested in it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

PHall

This was during the New Jersey Wing Conference and I bet there was a Heritage Display too.

ColonelJack

Quote from: LATORRECA on May 15, 2017, 06:44:48 PM
Make it Corporate. Not bad. Let's keep the fairy internal. Like it. I wonder how will it work for the supply or surplus of uniforms. Interested in it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Don't get too interested too quickly ... there's a story in Army Times that indicates they're thinking of returning to the "pinks and greens" as the regular daily office uniform for the Army.  That would relegate the ASU to more "formal" occasions - like the dress blues used to be. 

One pushback they might get on that idea is that, during WWII, the pinks and greens were only for officers, and enlisted men wore khaki.  This "new" idea calls for everybody to get them.  They're already doing cost and manufacturing surveys.

Of course, it may all come to naught, as I am sure the Army (and the other branches as well) have many more important things to attend to ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Luis R. Ramos

...pinks and greens were only for officers, and enlisted men wore khaki.

When?

Only in garrison. The Army Summer Service uniform, as the Khaki was known, continued to be worn in the Pacific by both enlisted and officers at the front. There are photos.

I have also seen photos of enlisted and officers wearing Khaki coats.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LATORRECA

Wow. Men I'm glad I'm in the Corps. We only change trousers and Utility uniforms throughout the years or with the season . Still wear our service witch is very similar to the one depicted in the picture as I remember since the 40's.

R/S
Top Latorre