Patch Redesign, Need an Illustrator Guru

Started by NIN, April 16, 2017, 06:48:19 PM

NIN

My sq is in the process of re-doing our unit patch, not radically, but enough to bring it up to date, conform the the heraldic standards more, and make it a little more "ABU appropriate."

Most of the Illustrator stuff I'm just fine at, but there are some more .. complex ... aspects that I need a little help with.

For someone with that background, you've probably got the tools (ie. a pen-tablet based input) and the talent (you do this for a living or quite a bit more than I do) to execute this in a short time while I'll spend a week or more fumbling around with Illustrator to do it poorly. :)

What I very specifically need help with is the airplane on our unit patch.  The patch was originally done circa 2004, and we left the top-of-wing markings off, mostly because we were lame.   I'd like to re-do the airplane a little more cleanly, keeping up with more correct design criteria and techniques, versus the absolute crap way I did it 13 years ago. :)

Here's the current patch:

and the plane by itself:

The plane graphic was literally created by taking a 172 or 182 in Flight Sim 2000, flying it out over the water, finding just the right external angle and taking a screen capture to paint over. :)

I added the black lines because I'm a frustrated cartoon artist or something, and had no better way to make the graphic "look" right with my skill set at the time.

I've subsequently improved that by taking the Abacus Software CAP pilot aircraft and doing the same thing in Prepar3d so that paint scheme looks *mostly* right

In any event, if you're interested, I can send you the files we already have. There's the enticement of prominent mention in the the history of the patch, and we'll send you a couple patches when we get them re-produced.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

What's your timeline on this? Which version of Illustrator have you been using? Have you used layers?

I'm pretty competent in Illustrator, but have a couple of other irons in the fire to contend with.

Send me the files (.ai, etc), and I'll see how much work it will take, and let you know.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

The time line is "soon-ish." Next 30 days or so.

The plane is the part that has me thrown right now.  Once I have have a good Illustrator graphic of the plane,  the rest should be easy.

Wheel pants and other things (antenna) are optional.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

OK, send me the stuff, I'll give it a whack. Email addy PM'd.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret