CAP Blazer questions

Started by foo, April 11, 2017, 08:18:12 PM

foo

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
4.2.3.2.2. Nametag. Nametag will be worn and will be black with CAP Crest, rank insignia (rank insignia is optional for officers and NCOs; rank insignia not allowed for cadets), last name and state, region, national based on location of unit of assignment. Will be worn with the top edge of nametag aligned with top edge of the left breast pocket.

What if the left breast pocket is slanted, like the one VG sells, and like every single-vented blue blazer I've seen in a store? Surely the nametag should not be mounted in a slanted position?

4.2.3.2.1. CAP Crest. The CAP Crest will be attached or sewn to the center of the left breast pocket or in the same relative position. Alternatively, the CSAG, Command Council, National Board or National Executive Committee (earned prior to 1 Oct 2013) badges may be worn in place of the CAP Crest by those authorized to wear these badges; bullion or metal is authorized.

I could've sworn I once saw someone with a metal/enameled CAP Crest on their blazer breast pocket. Is that kosher or does it have to be the embroidered one?

Eclipse

Quote from: foo on April 11, 2017, 08:18:12 PM
4.2.3.2.2. Nametag. Nametag will be worn and will be black with CAP Crest, rank insignia (rank insignia is optional for officers and NCOs; rank insignia not allowed for cadets), last name and state, region, national based on location of unit of assignment. Will be worn with the top edge of nametag aligned with top edge of the left breast pocket.

What if the left breast pocket is slanted, like the one VG sells, and like every single-vented blue blazer I've seen in a store? Surely the nametag should not be mounted in a slanted position?

I don't think I've ever seen a blazer with a slanted pocket, though I haven't shopped for one in 15 years.  I would think the answer is "find a straight one", unless
you want to be "TactiKewl".

4.2.3.2.1. CAP Crest. The CAP Crest will be attached or sewn to the center of the left breast pocket or in the same relative position. Alternatively, the CSAG, Command Council, National Board or National Executive Committee (earned prior to 1 Oct 2013) badges may be worn in place of the CAP Crest by those authorized to wear these badges; bullion or metal is authorized.

I could've sworn I once saw someone with a metal/enameled CAP Crest on their blazer breast pocket. Is that kosher or does it have to be the embroidered one?

Heh - no doubt you did, but no - supposed to be the embroidered one (is that considered "bullion"?), not the dinner plate.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on April 11, 2017, 08:23:17 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a blazer with a slanted pocket, though I haven't shopped for one in 15 years.  I would think the answer is "find a straight one", unless
you want to be "TactiKewl".

The pocket welt looks slanted when simply being hung from a hanger.  When the jacket is put on, if properly tailored (which costs $$$), that welt will become fairly level.  Most jackets are "off-the-rack" jackets, thus manufacturers have to find a way to accommodate more personal variations in chest structures.  As a result, most jacket welts will look slanted even when being worn.  In some cases, you will also see this with the USAF jacket, which has a fairly level pocket welt due to personal variation in men's chest.  That being said, I have seen some "artsy" styles with some serious welt slant. 

What the OP and you have described are basically the same thing.  The OP is not talking of a slanted welt like those on the ACUs vs BDUs.  Rather a small slant of less than 10 degrees.  You are describing this as straight. 

foo

I don't think I've ever seen a blazer with a slanted pocket, though I haven't shopped for one in 15 years.  I would think the answer is "find a straight one", unless you want to be "TactiKewl".

Here's the one VG sells:

I've been shopping local stores for one and they all have slanted pockets (there don't seem to be a lot of options these days for navy blue, single-vented blazers).

Heh - no doubt you did, but no - supposed to be the embroidered one (is that considered "bullion"?), not the dinner plate.

Okay, thank you

foo

@LSThikerr Interesting. In the above photo the jacket appears to be on a mannequin.

In any case , should the nametag be worn parallel with the pocket, or the ground?

Eclipse

Do you see that as slanted?  (honestly asking)

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: foo on April 11, 2017, 09:02:12 PM
@LSThikerr Interesting. In the above photo the jacket appears to be on a mannequin.

In any case , should the nametag be worn parallel with the pocket, or the ground?

It is slanted due to the ill tailored mannequin.  Parallel with the pocket.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 11, 2017, 09:02:13 PM

It is a point of reference question.  Which is why I said you and the OP are saying the same thing.

foo

I honestly do. But I also need new glasses, so...

chuckmilam

I'm starting to understand why I was having such a hard time getting the crest to align correctly under the nameplate, mainly because that dart line under the pocket isn't square with the pocket. 

LSThiker

Quote from: chuckmilam on April 11, 2017, 09:11:05 PM
I'm starting to understand why I was having such a hard time getting the crest to align correctly under the nameplate, mainly because that dart line under the pocket isn't square with the pocket.

For the vast majority of people, it will never be squared to the welt.  I have owned many suits over the years (most recently with proper tailoring) and it has never been aligned.  Perhaps when I finally fork the money for a custom suit.

I have had this issue with my USAF jacket as well as my corporate blazer.  On my USAF jacket, my master historian badge looks off and crooked because of that line.  The same with my CAP crest on the blazer.  It is just a fact of life that people need to learn. 

Eclipse

Quote from: foo on April 11, 2017, 09:06:45 PM

I honestly do. But I also need new glasses, so...

Yeah, that's about as straight as you're gonna git'

Quote from: LSThiker on April 11, 2017, 09:17:58 PM
I have had this issue with my USAF jacket as well as my corporate blazer.  On my USAF jacket, my master historian badge looks off and crooked because of that line.  The same with my CAP crest on the blazer.  It is just a fact of life that people need to learn.

Yep - line it up with a laser level on the hanger, and it looks weird when worn, and vice-versa.

"That Others May Zoom"

chuckmilam

Quote from: LSThiker on April 11, 2017, 09:17:58 PM
For the vast majority of people, it will never be squared to the welt.  I have owned many suits over the years (most recently with proper tailoring) and it has never been aligned.
I have an odd sense of relief knowing it's not just me...and my former cadet "uniform OCD" driving me crazy.

SarDragon

My current blazer has a slanted top pocket. I put the nametag on so that it looks "right". It ends up a little off from level, and a little off from parallel with the pocket.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Paul Creed III

Quote from: chuckmilam on April 11, 2017, 09:11:05 PM

Yup, same way with mine. Wore the thing once for graduation from NSC.

I'd rather be in a flight suit but, alas, wear of such is frowned upon during such things.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

foo

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about getting the "name plate kit" (i.e., the pocket protector-looking thing) as sort of a solution to the slanted pocket issue. Any opinions about that thing? If I order it, can it be disassembled or is the crest perma-sealed in the plastic enclosure?

Paul Creed III

Quote from: foo on April 12, 2017, 02:37:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about getting the "name plate kit" (i.e., the pocket protector-looking thing) as sort of a solution to the slanted pocket issue. Any opinions about that thing? If I order it, can it be disassembled or is the crest perma-sealed in the plastic enclosure?

Uglier than sin.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: foo on April 12, 2017, 02:37:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about getting the "name plate kit" (i.e., the pocket protector-looking thing) as sort of a solution to the slanted pocket issue. Any opinions about that thing?

Please don't, unless you are below your wedgie quotient for the quarter.

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

Friends don't let friends use the nameplate kit for the blazer. 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NIN

That'll about cover the flyby...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

kcebnaes

Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 12, 2017, 02:39:02 PM
Uglier than sin.

This is good information. I was going to order one of those soon!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

SarDragon

I got one a while back. Wore it once, because it was as ugly as described. On a lark, I tried it on my new blazer, with the slanted pocket, and it was even uglier.

Just don't.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

foo

Roger that, and thanks again for all the feedback.

I'm acquiring this uniform for the occasion of my cadet's Mitchell Award presentation. I guess I might wear it again sometime down the road.

SarDragon

As with other expensive clothing items, once you have it, you will find places to wear it. F'rinstance, I bought a tux, and wear it at least once a year. And I make it look good. >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

foo

I have another question: What is the "CAP button set"? I see VG has some options, but they don't seem to be the right sizes for both the coat and cuffs. Must they all be the "Civil Air Patrol" button, or can this Blazer have the Hap Arnold buttons?

BFreemanMA

Quote from: foo on April 13, 2017, 04:56:02 PM
I have another question: What is the "CAP button set"? I see VG has some options, but they don't seem to be the right sizes for both the coat and cuffs. Must they all be the "Civil Air Patrol" button, or can this Blazer have the Hap Arnold buttons?

Per CAPM 39-1, 4.2.3.1: "...Two or three buttons, either metal (gold tone, silver tone or CAP button set) or plastic (black or dark blue) in front. Cuff buttons will match and be in accordance with civilian fashion."

You can get the CAP buttons from VG, although I'm not sure of the ligne off the top of my head. But you're also 100% within regs to just keep the original buttons, provided they meet the above quote.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

foo

I appreciate the reply, though it doesn't answer the questions. I saw the regulation but wonder about the CAP button set, and which of the buttons VG offers are allowed (i.e., just the CAP ones or also the HA ones).

THRAWN

Quote from: foo on April 13, 2017, 05:19:24 PM
I appreciate the reply, though it doesn't answer the questions. I saw the regulation but wonder about the CAP button set, and which of the buttons VG offers are allowed (i.e., just the CAP ones or also the HA ones).

The blazer cannot have the HA buttons. CAP buttons would be 25s for the cuffs (SKU: CAP0807), 36 for the coat buttons (SKU: CAP0809).
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023