Mess Dress Commanders Badge Placement

Started by ProdigalJim, April 01, 2017, 02:59:16 AM

ProdigalJim

OK, uniform nerds, I need you...

According to our trusty 39-1, when you are a GRADUATED Commander and you're setting up your Mess Dress, "lower the insignia on the wearer's right side to an appropriate point aligned with a lower point of the miniature medals so that it is evident that the pin is not for a current assignment, between the top shoulder seam and top button of the coat and midway between the lapel and arm seam."

Sounds pretty approximate to me.

I followed the directions and this is what it looks like. It looks kinda...off...somehow?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41398383@N07/33765633845/in/dateposted-public/
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

Looks OK - I think it only looks "off" because the right breast isn't straight.

I can't imagine anyone will take issue, it's clearly lower then the regular badges.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: ProdigalJim on April 01, 2017, 02:59:16 AM
OK, uniform nerds, I need you...

According to our trusty 39-1, when you are a GRADUATED Commander and you're setting up your Mess Dress, "lower the insignia on the wearer's right side to an appropriate point aligned with a lower point of the miniature medals so that it is evident that the pin is not for a current assignment, between the top shoulder seam and top button of the coat and midway between the lapel and arm seam."

Sounds pretty approximate to me.

I followed the directions and this is what it looks like. It looks kinda...off...somehow?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41398383@N07/33765633845/in/dateposted-public/
Everything on the Mess Dress is approximate.
Move it to where it looks "right".

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Goes lower. :)

I have to actually move mine up. And on my ABUs, too, darn it. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BuckeyeDEJ

Of course, the best way to put everything on is while you're wearing the jacket. Things may look good on the hanger, but when you put it on, everything will tilt when it's supposed to be level. Put the medals on while you're wearing it, then put the rest on. That way, you have a level reference point.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

PHall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 02, 2017, 03:21:15 AM
Of course, the best way to put everything on is while you're wearing the jacket. Things may look good on the hanger, but when you put it on, everything will tilt when it's supposed to be level. Put the medals on while you're wearing it, then put the rest on. That way, you have a level reference point.

A second person and a 6 inch level are invaluable for this.

Chappie

Quote from: PHall on April 02, 2017, 05:23:38 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 02, 2017, 03:21:15 AM

A second person and a 6 inch level are invaluable for this.

^^What he said as well as what Lordmonor said...it's all approximate on the Mess Dress (with the exception of the Hub Cap Crest).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Ed DeSocio

Looks great, Jim!  Is that a meritorious service medal that I see?  Congratulations! :clap:

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

Storm Chaser

I wonder why CAP didn't just use the same language in AFI 36-2903. In the Air Force, current commanders wear the Command Insignia Pin "adjacent to top of medals", while graduated commanders wear it "adjacent to bottom row of medals." I think the position used by the Air Force makes it less likely for someone to confuse a current versus a graduated commander. CAP could've done the same in CAPM 39-1.