Cadet Officer Shoulder Boards

Started by xray328, February 15, 2017, 09:54:51 PM

xray328

I looked at the 39-1 and can't find any topics on the site about this so...

I noticed that the "buttons" on the cadet shoulder boards don't match the new style button on the service coat. Has Vanguard just not caught up?  I guess this is acceptable wear?

vorteks

Dunno but you could maybe replace 'em with these if the size is right:

Source: https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/air-force-button-waf-hap-arnold-20-ligne-silver-oxidized

Might want to call Vanguard and ask if the website pictures are just old. Maybe the boards are shipping with the newer buttons. 39-1 depicts the newer buttons.

xray328

I just ordered these, and it's not that simple.  These are permanently affixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Something else to add to the "not considered" list.

"That Others May Zoom"

vorteks

Quote from: xray328 on February 15, 2017, 10:24:25 PM

I just ordered these, and it's not that simple.  These are permanently affixed.

Oh.   

foo

Is it acceptable to wear? Of course. Consider also the fact that cadets are still authorized to wear the "old style" service coats that have the older button style.

Vanguard could probably fairly easily swap out the buttons upon request (demand?) since they sell senior member insignia with the new style buttons. I also think you could do it yourself without much trouble using those other referenced buttons from Vanguard (I wouldn't be afraid to try it), but either way your cadet would end up with one-of-a-kind insignia.

My guess is that they will start making the boards with the new style buttons after they run out of the old stock. It would be ideal if the shoulder board buttons matched the service coat buttons, but this is really a non-issue.

xray328

Seems like a snap on button would also work, just include one set of each.  Darn things cost enough ($31.50) for them to include both.

ThatOneGuy

Old style service coat FTW...That being said, there has been no issue I have seen with the buttons on the board and coat not matching. It is there, but as that is how it comes from the manufacturer it's been a non issue.

Plus isn't the button hidden under the collar of the coat when you're actually wearing it? I remember mine was WIWAC, but I'm not exactly a linebacker either. Bottom line; I don't think anyone really cares that much about them not matching. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Майор Хаткевич

Those buttons are "CAP" buttons, which are close to the Ancient Air Force buttons.

Don't think we'd ever swap them, given that we can't use the AF button design to begin with.

xray328

It's very visible on the female coat, maybe because they're smaller.

xray328

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 16, 2017, 03:18:34 PM
Those buttons are "CAP" buttons, which are close to the Ancient Air Force buttons.

Don't think we'd ever swap them, given that we can't use the AF button design to begin with.

Can we swap the old buttons onto the new coat? Or put CAP buttons on it to match?

LSThiker

Quote from: xray328 on February 16, 2017, 03:28:46 PM
Can we swap the old buttons onto the new coat?

No

QuoteOr put CAP buttons on it to match?

Yes:

Quote4.1.5.2.  Coat.  The men's service dress coat will be polyester and wool-blend, serge weave; semi-drape, single-breasted with three USAF "Wing and star" or CAP Crest buttons.....

Quote4.1.7.2.  Coat.  The women's service dress coat will be polyester and wool-blend, serge weave; semi-drape, single-breasted with three USAF "Wing and star" or CAP Crest buttons.....

I actually removed my USAF buttons after they got worn and put CAP crest buttons.  Got a few questions.  Now, I just removed the buttons from my corporate blazer and put CAP triangle buttons on it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on February 16, 2017, 03:48:46 PMNow, I just removed the buttons from my corporate blazer and put CAP triangle buttons on it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

I did that as well a couple years ago - front and sleeves, though I have to say I'm not sure whether
it's impressive or super-hero OCD that anyone would notice.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Probably the latter, but I'm there with ya

Mitchell 1969

Proving that everything old is new again...

The "old buttons on shoulder boards" problem happened once before, in 1966-67. CAP buttons changed from shiny prop and triangle to anodized buttons patterned after usaf buttons (the ines now on the shoulder boards).

As has been noted, the buttons are "permanent." The fix then was to "un-permanent" them. Gently pry up the mounting on the back and remove the entire button. Replace it with the screw-in button from the service cap, using the post removed from
An old cap. (Or purchase a new post. They used to be available and might still be from cap manufacturers).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

THRAWN

This is idiotic. How much time and effort is being spent on arts and crafts projects like this? Ditch the boards. Problem solved. What's next?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on February 17, 2017, 12:56:19 PM
This is idiotic. How much time and effort is being spent on arts and crafts projects like this? Ditch the boards. Problem solved. What's next?

+1 No idea why these are still a "thing".

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: THRAWN on February 17, 2017, 12:56:19 PM

If we get rid of the shoulder boards then how is VG going to make up the loss of the $25 profit they make from each should board sale?

Seriously you are correct.  For cadets who have service coats without epaulets, they just need to buy the conversion kit ($30) and have it sewn on.  While the price is about the same as the shoulder boards, once the coat has epaulets, it is done and anyone else who uses that coat won't have to do anything.

The shoulder boards are hard on the rank pins too.  I've seen too many fall off because the pins broke.  Just a complete waste of time and money.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on February 17, 2017, 02:48:46 PM
The shoulder boards are hard on the rank pins too.  I've seen too many fall off because the pins broke.  Just a complete waste of time and money.

I helped one cadet in a pinch who had broken a pin.  We cut the other one off and used double-sided brick tape to affix the grade.
IMHO it actually looked better and didn't leave holes, but you have to be >VERY< careful when you remove them that yo don't wreck the cloth.

If nothing else, standard cadet epaulet sleeves should be an option.  Those boards are far more trouble then the affectation and expense is worth
and on smaller cadets and females, sometimes look more like an IKEA shelf then grade insignia.

While the I Dream of Jeannie (IDOJ) jackets are still nice for cadets to be able to wear, the ones still around are definitely showing their age and wear,
and it's not really that hard to find 3-button jackets, considering the USAF hasn't worn the IDOJ version since about 1994, and what's it been
at least 5 years since they were phased out at the USAFA?

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2017, 03:09:24 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on February 17, 2017, 02:48:46 PM

I helped one cadet in a pinch who had broken a pin.  We cut the other one off and used double-sided brick tape to affix the grade.
IMHO it actually looked better and didn't leave holes, but you have to be >VERY< careful when you remove them that yo don't wreck the cloth.

If nothing else, standard cadet epaulet sleeves should be an option.  Those boards are far more trouble then the affectation and expense is worth
and on smaller cadets and females, sometimes look more like an IKEA shelf then grade insignia.

While the I Dream of Jeannie (IDOJ) jackets are still nice for cadets to be able to wear, the ones still around are definitely showing their age and wear,
and it's not really that hard to find 3-button jackets, considering the USAF hasn't worn the IDOJ version since about 1994, and what's it been
at least 5 years since they were phased out at the USAFA?

The Phase-out date at USAFA is not relevant to CAP. They aren't the same. (Different color).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.