VFW/AFSA/AFA Awards

Started by Jester, January 24, 2017, 12:23:04 AM

Jester

Does anyone know what the turnaround time is on these squadron-level awards once they're sent to the organizations?  I'm just looking for a ballpark to loosely plan around.

Eclipse

Usually about a week or so.  They are actually quite responsive.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Do they just send it in the mail?  I tossed a card with my contact info in each envelope just in case there were issues with the paperwork. I haven't heard anything so I suppose they're good.

Eclipse

Yes, they mail it back to the sender.

Did you snail mail the submission or email it? 

Your best bet is to email the memo to them, that's a lot faster and how I've handled it in the recent past.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I've had bad luck with AFA this year. I emailed them, using the correct address and template, Dec 1 and again mid-Jan from my .gov and have heard nothing and received nothing.

Jester

I just used the address in the reg. I wasn't aware email was an option.

Do you mind pm'ing me the addresses?  I may send them that way as a safety net.

Eclipse

PM away for AFA & AFSA, have never done the VFW.

"That Others May Zoom"

DJ Light Chop

I sent in the requests to all 3 of these organizations on the same day.  I got the AFSA within a week, the AFA a few days later.  The AFA doesn't send a certificate anymore, they send a link to download one and print it yourself.

The VFW eventually emailed me back to tell me that their national headquarters (despite what the CAP manual says) doesn't handle it, but that they would send it to the appropriate place for me.  Several weeks later I got a package from the VFW with no certificate and a medal for the Naval Sea Scouts.  I emailed to ask them to fix it but they didn't reply.  So instead I just whipped out my credit card and bought the medal and certificate myself and when I got it I took it to my local vfw for signatures.

I will probably not be issuing the VFW awards to cadets again, as it cost me 25 bucks out of my pocket to do so.

Jester

Where did you get the certificate?

DJ Light Chop

Which one the vfw or the AFA?  AFA sends you a paper with instructions on how to get it.  The VFW one is for sale from the VFWStore.org

Jester

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on January 24, 2017, 07:30:59 AM
Sorry, the VFW one. Thanks!

You can order the VFW certificates and medals from VFWStore.org or many VFW posts will provide them for free.  I preferred to get the certificates from VFWStore.org because I could have the names put on them and it just looked better.

For any of these awards, it is a good idea to work with the local chapter (if close enough) and invite them to come and present the awards.  In my old squadron we also did the Daughters of the American Revolution Outstanding Cadet Award.  The winner can't wear the ribbon since it isn't a CAP sanctioned award but it is recognition and the local chapter even added a $500 scholarship to the winner!

DJ Light Chop

Btw Jester, in addition to mailing it I scanned the 2a and emailed them to the organizations.  That probably helps to speed it up.

Eclipse

Award certificates can be downloaded here:  http://www.afa.org/informationfor/students/medalsribbonsandcertificates

AFA Presentation Form link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Medals?sm=UrtitSz73LiwijOoaKg%2fP6Q%2fcPDKnsPy68L27R6nAmE%3d
(They ask you to complete this for their records).

The link to back CAP on the AFA page is dead.

The certificate has change since the traditional ones I received via mail last year:

Old

New

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Here is something I put together to help squadrons in my Wing with these awards:

o The VFW Officer and NCO of the Year awards may be provided by your local VFW post. Contact them at least 6-8 weeks before your awards ceremony and invite them to present the award as well. Find your nearest post by going to https://www.vfw.org/oms/findpost.aspx . If they do not provide the certificates and medals then you can purchase them directly from the VFW Store (http://www.vfwstore.org/searchresults?q=civil+air+patrol&Action=SkipLogin). Please order at least 3 weeks in advance of the presentation. I recommend paying the little extra to have the names added to the certificates when you order them.

o Air Force Sergeants Association Outstanding Squadron Cadet NCO award is requested by emailing Staff@hqafsa.org at least 3 weeks in advance and giving the winner's name, your phone and mailing address, plus your squadron. If there is a local AFSA chapter then please coordinate with them to present the award.

o Air Force Association Outstanding Squadron Cadet of the Year Award can be requested by emailing awards@afa.org at least 3 weeks in advance but no earlier than Dec 1. You do need to send the award winner's name. They will send you a blank certificate that you will need to fill out. The form required and more information can be found at http://www.afa.org/afa/informationfor/military/medalsribbonsandcertificates . If there is a local AFA chapter then please coordinate with them to present the award. The certificate is blank so you will need to add the name.

o One cadet award not on the list is the Daughters of the American Revolution Outstanding Cadet Award. Contact the nearest DAR chapter for the application process.

Eclipse

So I can dfintily appreciate why they changed the cert, I still have two of the old-style and just made up ours
for tonight and was reminded what a PITA challenge it is / was to align the name.

Using Old English Text MT at 28 pts for the name and 14 for the date comes out pretty good, but YMWV based on the printer.

I aligned it at 100% on the screen which was more like 102% and then just kept smidging it until I got close.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Rank Last M. First?

Since when? Every certificate I've ever gotten with rank first has been Rank First M. Last, and that is the vast majority of the things hanging on my "I Love Me" wall. There may have been one or two with Last, First M., Rank, but I don't see any in the current display.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on January 25, 2017, 01:33:27 AM
Rank Last M. First?

Since when? Every certificate I've ever gotten with rank first has been Rank First M. Last, and that is the vast majority of the things hanging on my "I Love Me" wall. There may have been one or two with Last, First M., Rank, but I don't see any in the current display.

My bad, when I removed the real cadet's name to make the example I was distracted.

Yes, s/b Grade, First M. Last and that was how he received it tonight.

Good catch, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

FWIW, we received our AFSA award today, took 9 days from request to receipt, and I
also got a personal response when I followed up.

No word from AFA.  We had the cert and medal already, so no foul there, but they usually confirm
the submission.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: DJ Light Chop on January 24, 2017, 03:45:56 AM
I sent in the requests to all 3 of these organizations on the same day.  I got the AFSA within a week, the AFA a few days later.  The AFA doesn't send a certificate anymore, they send a link to download one and print it yourself.

The VFW eventually emailed me back to tell me that their national headquarters (despite what the CAP manual says) doesn't handle it, but that they would send it to the appropriate place for me.  Several weeks later I got a package from the VFW with no certificate and a medal for the Naval Sea Scouts.  I emailed to ask them to fix it but they didn't reply.  So instead I just whipped out my credit card and bought the medal and certificate myself and when I got it I took it to my local vfw for signatures.

I will probably not be issuing the VFW awards to cadets again, as it cost me 25 bucks out of my pocket to do so.

For Our Squadron the Local VFW post paid for the medal/ribbon/certificate...since they were the actual awarding authority.  Check with your local VFW post...the one's near me have plenty of money for this.