Proper trimming of Rank insignia on ABUs

Started by DrJbdm, January 16, 2017, 08:09:15 PM

DrJbdm

I'm sure this has been covered before but the search function is not my friend. Can anyone tell me the proper amount of blue that should be around my Major rank insignia on the ABU? I think the alterations shop left too much... Does everything else look right? For some reason it all just looks off. (hoping I can actually post a pic)

jeders

It looks off because it is.

To answer your main question, there should be 1/8 inch of blue between the insignia and the edge of the blue.

The other thing that is wrong is that it should not be placed at the angle. It should be placed 1 inch from and parallel to the front edge of the collar. The stem should be pointing out. To help, there are diagrams of how this should look and the requisite dimensions in CAPM 39-1.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

DrJbdm

Thanks, it appear that there is a half inch around the insignia except for the corners. How should the material be cut / folded so that there is 1/8th inch around those? What about around the other insignia such as pilot wings, EMT patch? Are those off as well?

DrJbdm

Can someone post a pic on how it should look?

LATORRECA

I don't know if this will help you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LATORRECA

vorteks

Quote from: DrJbdm on January 16, 2017, 08:25:06 PM
Can someone post a pic on how it should look?

Lots of pics in CAPM 39-1. Try page 126.

foo

Quote from: LATORRECA on January 16, 2017, 08:52:39 PM

Maybe it's just the angles in the picture, but a couple things don't quite look right there. The left bar in your insignia should be parallel with the front edge of the collar. Yours looks a little crooked. Also, your GT badge looks like it might be too far away from the branch tape. I believe it should be 1/2 inch from the top of the branch tape to the white of the insignia, the same distance between the white of the GT and aviation badges.

Eclipse

Quote from: DrJbdm on January 16, 2017, 08:09:15 PM
I'm sure this has been covered before but the search function is not my friend. Can anyone tell me the proper amount of blue that should be around my Major rank insignia on the ABU? I think the alterations shop left too much... Does everything else look right? For some reason it all just looks off. (hoping I can actually post a pic)

As said, too much edge on the major, and the placement is incorrect.

As to the badges, you've got a blue-to-blue / white-to-white issue, but assuming you decide
blue-to-blue on the EMT - to - CAP tape, the space between the EMT and wings is too large.

Also, is the thread on the major a lighter color?

And while they actually look OK, from here it looks like more then an 1/8" around the wings.
It's a PITA because you actually have to underfold them a bit since the edge tends to spread a bit, especially
if you iron them before sewing.

"That Others May Zoom"

DrJbdm

Thanks! So should it be measured 1/2 inch white to white or 1/2 inch blue to blue? What is the proper way of measuring? I just took it back to the alterations shop and had them fix the 1/8th inch of blue and the placement of the rank insignia. We shall see what they do now.

Please let me know on the blue to blue or white to white issue so I can call them.

foo

Quote from: DrJbdm on January 16, 2017, 09:48:54 PM
Thanks! So should it be measured 1/2 inch white to white or 1/2 inch blue to blue? What is the proper way of measuring? I just took it back to the alterations shop and had them fix the 1/8th inch of blue and the placement of the rank insignia. We shall see what they do now.

Please let me know on the blue to blue or white to white issue so I can call them.

Look at this thread:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21726.0

All your answers are in there.

LATORRECA

Thank you Foo

Eclipse

Quote from: DrJbdm on January 16, 2017, 09:48:54 PM
Thanks! So should it be measured 1/2 inch white to white or 1/2 inch blue to blue? What is the proper way of measuring?

That's the great debate, the regs can be interpreted either way.

NIN and I have always done the first one blue-to-blue, and then white to white, but others interpret it differently.

Some even make the argument that the badges should be set to mirror the dress shirts, which would actually be
white on the badge to blue on the CAP tape.

At some point you just have to decide what vector to use.

"That Others May Zoom"

DrJbdm

Eclipse, thanks for the input. It appears that there is no easy answer. However it appears that the white to white measurement actually makes it look longer then 1/2 inch. I am hoping that the way you suggested would make it look a little better. I rarely wear field uniforms, I typically wear a flight suit when out in the field.

ProdigalJim

Quote from: DrJbdm on January 16, 2017, 10:55:58 PM
Eclipse, thanks for the input. It appears that there is no easy answer. However it appears that the white to white measurement actually makes it look longer then 1/2 inch. I am hoping that the way you suggested would make it look a little better. I rarely wear field uniforms, I typically wear a flight suit when out in the field.

Did you look at Foo's link? It's pretty much the definitive discussion of what you're after.

And it looks as if your tailor shop did your grade insignia Navy-style, angled in that way.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

DrJbdm

I took a look at Foo's link, that was great, it really helped. I saved the pic and I will email it to my tailor, hopefully they can get it correct now. Thanks everyone for the help, I should have asked this question before sending it to my uniform shop the first time around. What's sad is that they actually looked at AFI 36-2309 as it discusses officer rank insignia on the ABU and still got it wrong. Our 39-1 mirrors it exactly.

NIN

Not precisely, Bob. I do top of the blue tag to white, then white to white.

I never measure to the edge of the blue.  The blue material on the insignia is..... <wait for it> "immaterial "

Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

C1128Chief

I cannot find the regulation for the ABU fleece regarding cadet insignia. If anyone knows if there should be a dark blue patch around the insignia please let me know. C/TSgt Uhles
Comms Guru.
CUL
Group 6 Comms Officer (CENCAL)

RogueLeader

You use the 2x2 "blank' square of the dark blue material, and center your pin on grade on the material.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Abby.L

Quote from: LUhles575451 on January 17, 2017, 10:41:46 PM
I cannot find the regulation for the ABU fleece regarding cadet insignia. If anyone knows if there should be a dark blue patch around the insignia please let me know. C/TSgt Uhles

Hi-jacking another person's uniform thread? It's a bold move, Cotton, let's see if it pays off.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

LATORRECA

I think I got it right this time. It's all measure in accordance.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Levi Lockling on January 18, 2017, 12:07:09 AM
Hi-jacking another person's uniform thread? It's a bold move, Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

Almost coffee covered my laptop on that one. "If you can dodge a wrench..."

TheSkyHornet

Just an FYI--- The CAP Transition to the Airman Battle Uniform (ABU) memo technically does not state how much blue should show on the ABU officer insignia; it says it for Cadet Officers only.

Yes, it is 1/8" (and I have found very people to be able to master that perfectly, so you'll see some slight variation here and there).