CAP Vector - Jan / March 2017

Started by Eclipse, January 14, 2017, 02:34:40 AM

Eclipse

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Vector_Jan__Mar_2017_3A5CB5F3B2AB2.pdf

CP - Beta PT delayed due to renum of publications.

CP - NCC Returns June 2017 in OH at Wright Patt.

PD - First online UCC in Jan 2017.

ES - Pilot and Sensor Operators for Green Flag need to PUT THE BURGER DOWN!

SE - Safety Beacon now has a monthly test for currency.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on January 14, 2017, 02:34:40 AM
CP - Beta PT delayed due to renum of publications.

I don't understand why the implementation of an entire program is delayed because of the publication number.

The system clearly works as many units are already enrolled.

I can say without hyperbole that this has cost my wing several cadets who were unable to make the Curry
numbers and would have been retained if they could have progressed - at least one in my unit wanted to
go to encampment but could not because of this, the enthusiasm waned, and the cadet left the program.

We can argue over coffee whether this is a good idea for CAP long term, or will further dilute the program,
but if it's going to happen anyway, and considering that retention should be the #1 issue CAP is addressing,
Beta PT a route towards helping that, this needs to get turned on right away instead of waiting for a new toner cartridge.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Maybe they're trying to be "smart" and not waste time and effort by not having to issue the publication twice.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on January 14, 2017, 09:47:39 PM
Maybe they're trying to be "smart" and not waste time and effort by not having to issue the publication twice.

Because of the number?  That's "smart"?

Does CAP, Inc. grind to a halt because of publication numbers?

And for that matter, how long can it take to change pub numbers?  An hour?  2 with coffee?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 14, 2017, 10:19:15 PM

Because of the number?  That's "smart"?

Does CAP, Inc. grind to a halt because of publication numbers?

And for that matter, how long can it take to change pub numbers?  An hour?  2 with coffee?

Why do work you don't have to do?

etodd

Time and effort?  How long does it take to type a number on the new pub, save the pdf and upload to the server so everyone can view or download? Two minutes?  Or does the number have to be approved in triplicate by 12 people who snail mail the number to each other?  ROTFL

(Edited to add that someone beat me to it.)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on January 15, 2017, 01:13:35 AM

Time and effort?  How long does it take to type a number on the new pub, save the pdf and upload to the server so everyone can view or download? Two minutes?  Or does the number have to be approved in triplicate by 12 people who snail mail the number to each other?  ROTFL

How about the time they're not wasting redoing it could be used for any of the many other projects on their "To Do" list.

You know, work smarter not harder.

stillamarine

Quote from: PHall on January 15, 2017, 04:00:12 AM
Quote from: etodd on January 15, 2017, 01:13:35 AM

How about the time they're not wasting redoing it could be used for any of the many other projects on their "To Do" list.

You know, work smarter not harder.

Yeah better use that 2 mins more efficiently. Seriously. That's how long it takes. My dept is just as bad about stuff like that.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

arajca

The renum project is not just slapping new numbers on current regs. ALL the regs are being reviewed for currency and being revised to reduce workload on the membership. Even at CAP's normal operating pace, merely renumbering the regs would have a month, maybe two.

etodd

Quote from: arajca on January 16, 2017, 12:40:02 AM
The renum project is not just slapping new numbers on current regs. ALL the regs are being reviewed for currency and being revised to reduce workload on the membership. Even at CAP's normal operating pace, merely renumbering the regs would have a month, maybe two.

True, but as someone else was mentioning ... no reason to delay a program while the renumbering takes place. Just give it a "temp123" number and let folks work.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Meanwhile, as we read this, CAP is losing cadets who can't make the Curry numbers.

Each month, a couple here and there, numbers it can ill afford to shed, especially for an artificial
delay like an administrative project.

Open source that review and it would be done in a month.

We could do it here on a weekend.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2017, 01:47:12 AM
Meanwhile, as we read this, CAP is losing cadets who can't make the Curry numbers.

Each month, a couple here and there, numbers it can ill afford to shed, especially for an artificial
delay like an administrative project.

Open source that review and it would be done in a month.

We could do it here on a weekend.
I've suggested that two or three times through channels and once through the old "Ask the National Commander" function. It is not something they're interested in doing. They have "enough staff to ensure the currency of the regs."

I can think of two words that are the appropriate response. One starts with 'S' and the first with 'B'.