Cadets under 18 wearing aircrew wings

Started by xray328, December 26, 2016, 09:38:11 PM

xray328

Quote from: Alaric on December 30, 2016, 01:58:15 PM
Quote from: xray328 on December 30, 2016, 01:56:18 PM
Quote from: Alaric on December 30, 2016, 01:43:44 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2016, 05:15:20 AM
Well, the "wing Team" is people from one unit - ahead of the curve, which is great, but not much fire there (yet).

If CAP doesn't get this lit, it'll miss out on a train that's already well down the track as it is - maybe they will issue
wings to those operators.

NESA is having both a basic and advanced UAV school this year

NESA

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.Events_NESA.Web/Default.aspx

Really? Well that's the cats meow, where does one sign up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there ya go.  The NESA site doesn't have any info on it yet though.  I'm guessing (based on what I saw at the IL Wing Conference) the basic class will teach you how to fly some sort of out of the box hobby level quadcopter.  Once you're proficient there you'll be eligible for the advanced class and be taught to fly to professional SAR UAV.

Interesting that it's under the ICSS.

Blanding

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2016, 06:55:01 PM
Quote from: xray328 on December 27, 2016, 06:36:03 PM
No, I specifically asked about cadets under 18.

OK, I know who you talked to, so I don't question this is happening,  but the whole thing is "odd".

How can they even release the flight with a cadet under 18 on board as part of crew? (or for anything other then a transport mission?)

Does this preclude the requirement that the PIC be an instructor pilot to carry cadets? (these aren't o-rides)

Why are these being done as C-Missions?  GIIEP training is clearly an AFAM normally, at minimum these should go as "B" unfunded.
Did someone do ORM math on under 18 cadets as part of aircrew and think doing it as a "C" un-regs the minimum 18 Year old requirement for all other A/C jobs?

This also conflicts with what the NESA / GIIEP website says (which doesn't necessarily mean much).

Does anyone have a copy of the secret-squirrel GIIEP SQTR?

Is there anyone from the MAS who can comment here?

Can you cite a requirement supporting the necessity for a pilot to be an instructor to fly a cadet under 18? I recognize the age of this thread, but it would seem important enough to not leave readers with the impression that this is true (unless... it is).

Eclipse

Quote from: Blanding on February 02, 2017, 06:25:28 PM
Can you cite a requirement supporting the necessity for a pilot to be an instructor to fly a cadet under 18? I recognize the age of this thread, but it would seem important enough to not leave readers with the impression that this is true (unless... it is).

It's more nuanced then I wrote earlier, and depends on the circumstance.

CAPR 60-1, Page 10.
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R060_001_132EEB0197465.pdf
f. Only pilots that are qualified as CAP instructors, cadet and ROTC/JROTC orientation
pilots, SAR/DR or transport mission pilots (during supervised missions) may carry CAP cadets
as passengers or crew members. At no time may a pilot who is a CAP cadet carry another CAP
cadet as a passenger or crew member.

"That Others May Zoom"

Blanding

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2017, 07:29:11 PM
Quote from: Blanding on February 02, 2017, 06:25:28 PM

It's more nuanced then I wrote earlier, and depends on the circumstance.

CAPR 60-1, Page 10.
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R060_001_132EEB0197465.pdf
f. Only pilots that are qualified as CAP instructors, cadet and ROTC/JROTC orientation
pilots, SAR/DR or transport mission pilots (during supervised missions) may carry CAP cadets
as passengers or crew members. At no time may a pilot who is a CAP cadet carry another CAP
cadet as a passenger or crew member.

Roger - so to clarify, you'd agree that a pilot who is a:

-Qualified CAP instructor or;
-Cadet orientation pilot or;
-Cadet ROTC/JROTC orientation pilot or;
-SAR/DR mission pilot or;
-Transport mission pilot (during supervised missions)

...may fly a sortie with a cadet on the manifest?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2016, 02:16:01 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 27, 2016, 01:59:03 AM
Thanks Bob, kinda wanted the cadet to do the research. But they don't have to now since you did it for them.

For starters, this isn't a cadet asking the question.

Second, going into the new year I'm going to try to answer straight questions like this with straight answers.
We've tried it the other way for ten+ years, let's see where being helpful gets us.