Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Well that's a bummer - rough week for vintage astronauts.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/08/252101790/john-glenn-first-american-to-orbit-the-earth-dies-at-95

WWII Marine fighter pilot w/ 59 combat missions, Astronaut, Senator, and then back into space at an age most people retire.

I can't imagine there was much left on his "To-Do" list.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Why no John Glenn Achievement?

I seem to recall a conversation or article at some point that indicated they had offered it to him and he turned it down?
Could have been me hallucinating.

If you moved Goddard to 6 and made Glenn 7, you'd have a nice little "Space section", there's also still 7 unnamed Achievements as well.

Or maybe CAP could rename AEX to the "John Glenn Aerospace Excellence Award".

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

stillamarine

When Col Glenn was a senator he regularly invited young enlisted Marines, who were stuck in the District and didn't get the chance to go home for the holidays,  into his home. Including my brother in 98. An amazing man, mentor and Marine is how my brother described him to me.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

THRAWN

Quote from: stillamarine on December 09, 2016, 12:29:50 AM
When Col Glenn was a senator he regularly invited young enlisted Marines, who were stuck in the District and didn't get the chance to go home for the holidays,  into his home. Including my brother in 98. An amazing man, mentor and Marine is how my brother described him to me.

I have heard this before. The guy was just aces. I spent about an hour explaining to my 7 year old about him. The kid is rocket nuts and we are headed out this weekend to punch some holes in the sky, according to him, " Just like that GLENN guy".
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
Why no John Glenn Achievement?

I seem to recall a conversation or article at some point that indicated they had offered it to him and he turned it down?
Could have been me hallucinating.

If you moved Goddard to 6 and made Glenn 7, you'd have a nice little "Space section", there's also still 7 unnamed Achievements as well.

Or maybe CAP could rename AEX to the "John Glenn Aerospace Excellence Award".

I don't think Col Glenn, or his family would approve. He went to great lengths to not "cash in" on his accomplishments.

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on December 09, 2016, 01:25:39 AM

I don't think Col Glenn, or his family would approve. He went to great lengths to not "cash in" on his accomplishments.

Senator Glenn was an iconic man, a great leader, a wonderful example of leadership in a military, civilian, technical, and moral sense.  His family might reconsider given that he now has passed, AND we need iconic leadership now at least as much as when he was alive.

Senator Glenn was a VERY impressive man.

MacGruff

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 09, 2016, 01:25:39 AM

Having an award named in your honor is hardly "cashing in", especially now that he has passed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

I still have my Mercury capsule.

I never put it together that this was clearly modeled after one of the Mercury program ships until watching the tributes
to Glen this morning.

He and his compadres were the heroes of my childhood -  scientists and adventurers paving the way for
all of us to one day soon get to space.  For a lot of boys in the 60's and early 70's it wasn't an "if",
it was a forgone conclusion of just "when".

They were all fallible human beings, but unlike the "heroes" of today's media, the model they presented, worthy
of emulation, was of hard work, setting goals, and "nothing being out of the reach of those willing to try"...

...must be some dust in here this morning...

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2016, 01:58:14 PM
I still have my Mercury capsule.

I never put it together that this was clearly modeled after one of the Mercury program until watching the tributes
to Glen this morning.

He and his compadres were the heroes of my childhood -  scientists and adventurers paving the way for
all of us to one day soon get to space.  For a lot of boys in the 60's and early 70's it wasn't an "if",
it was a forgone conclusion of just "when".

They were all fallible human beings, but unlike the "heroes" of today's media, the model they presented, worthy
of emulation, was of hard work, setting goals, and "nothing being out of the reach of those willing to try"...

...must be some dust in here this morning...

That dust cloud must be spreading.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

ColonelJack

The dust cloud made it all the way here.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), my childhood dream was to be an astronaut.  I know, I know ... but I meant it.  Sadly, my grasp of mathematics was so hideously deficient that I ended up becoming a history teacher/newscaster.  But men like Colonel Glenn were my heroes when I was at the most impressionable age.

I am sad that young people today don't have such men and women to look up to now.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

JHenson

Need some input. My Cadet Public Affairs Officer just submitted an article wherein he claimed John Glenn was a member of CAP. I cannot find anything to back that up.

Does anyone know if he was and if so, what squadron?

Thank you,

JHenson

Eclipse

I've never heard that, and highly doubtful, especially considering the lack of an award with his name.

He was past cadet age before there was a CAP (born in 1921), and by '42 was a Naval Aviation Cadet and in '43 transferred
to the Marine Corps where he became a pilot and remained past his NASA days.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: JHenson on December 20, 2016, 09:21:31 PM
Need some input. My Cadet Public Affairs Officer just submitted an article wherein he claimed John Glenn was a member of CAP. I cannot find anything to back that up.

Thank you,

JHenson

Sen Glenn was made a member of the CAP Congressional Squadron.  There is a picture floating around of him with his certificate of membership and OHWG leadership. 

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: FW on December 20, 2016, 09:43:53 PM

Thank you,

JHenson

Sen Glenn was made a member of the CAP Congressional Squadron.  There is a picture floating around of him with his certificate of membership and OHWG leadership.

Why is it I've seen more pictures of SM Jerry Lewis and cadet Lee Oswald than I have of CAP member John Glenn?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Ignoring any possible sarcasm. Oswald got press because he was so bad, and Jerry got press because he did take an active role in being a good will ambassador for CAP. Glenn was/did neither.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Paul Creed III

Quote from: FW on December 20, 2016, 09:43:53 PM

Thank you,

JHenson

It's up on the CAP National History Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10104067645787058&set=gm.381112795571886&type=3&theater
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on December 20, 2016, 11:10:41 PM
Ignoring any possible sarcasm. Oswald got press because he was so bad, and Jerry got press because he did take an active role in being a good will ambassador for CAP. Glenn was/did neither.

I don't remember any active role for Jerry Lewis. That doesn't mean that there wasn't one, just that I can't remember one.

I've only seen...I think, three photos of Jerry Lewis in connection with CAP. Two of the photos were taken on the same day, same place, with a couple of cadets. In both photos, he is wearing a khaki shirt. One of the photos shows him standing behind a sign. The other one doesn't have the sign - revealing the absence of a belt and buckle. But, that doesn't matter - the trousers appear to be from a civilian suit.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I noticed a blurb about that. Why is he just now being buried? Did they prop him up by the jukebox?

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 06, 2017, 06:30:26 PM
I noticed a blurb about that. Why is he just now being buried? Did they prop him up by the jukebox?

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/nation-world/national/article143043569.html

"Though Glenn died Dec. 8 in Columbus, Ohio, his family asked for his burial to be scheduled
four months later on April 6, the 74th anniversary of his marriage to his high school sweetheart Annie."

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 06, 2017, 06:30:26 PM

according to the Arlington Cemetery web page, for a burial it can take from 3-6 months to schedule an interment. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member