Lower Cost Alternatives to Hearing Aids

Started by RNOfficer, July 16, 2016, 10:10:45 PM

RNOfficer

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/health/hearing-aid-alternatives.html

Medicare and most health insurance plans do not pay for hearing aids. The devices discussed in this article may not be as good as prescription hearing aids but they may be all some can afford and they may be adequate. Note: most veterans can get free-  or low cost hearing aids through the VA.

DakRadz

Once I realized I could get these for at or below the cost of my cracked-screen-ubersmart phone, it seems so much more attainable...

It'll be about 5 years, though. Once I wear hearing aids (perhaps even these devices), I am disqualified from entering the government services I currently have the training for. Once you make it in, or change your career plans, though........

Of course, I've already been told no by several due to hearing. Ach.

Eclipse

I worked with a client who developed similar systems. At their core they are just smart bluetooth earpieces
with a noise cancellation app.

Not much different then a typical hearing amplified from the 50's, just smaller and smarter.

I guess if they work for you, que-sera.

"That Others May Zoom"

RNOfficer

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2016, 03:11:24 AM
I worked with a client who developed similar systems. At their core they are just smart bluetooth earpieces
with a noise cancellation app.

Not much different then a typical hearing amplified from the 50's, just smaller and smarter.

I guess if they work for you, que-sera.

The article is valuable because it points out both good and bad examples of the devices, giving some guidance to those who might purchase a PSAP. Many, many people cannot afford conventional hearing aids.

Dr. Reed has tested just 29 participants so far, he cautioned, and real-world results will vary. Still, he and his colleagues were impressed with three P.S.A.P.s.

The Soundhawk, which operates with a smartphone, performed almost as well as the hearing aid, with a list price of $399. The CS50+, made by Soundworld Solutions, and the Bean T-Coil, from Etymotic, worked nearly as well and list for about $350.

The researchers also tested the MSA 30X, available at drugstores for $30, and found it actually increased distortion. "A pure waste of your money," Dr. Reed said.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

You need the fly swatter, now that you can hear the little buggers buzzing around...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RNOfficer

Just in: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/human-hearing-loss-could-be-reversible/491777/?utm_source=feed

Human Hearing Loss Could Be Reversible

Many animals regenerate the tiny hair cells that enable hearing—and there are promising signs that people can be made to do the same.

Unfortunately, a long way from being available.