Main Menu

Facts, Myths and Legends

Started by almostspaatz, June 22, 2016, 04:26:42 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 03, 2016, 01:44:03 AM
Fact or myth?

CAP is always the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary.

Both - depends on the context.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Last week we were in blues.

Someone barked at someone else about how fast they were moving and said "Double time it!"

The cadet turned around and said "But .. sir, we're not supposed to run in blues."

I whipped out my electronic AFI 36-2203 right to figure 3.10.

"What uniform is this guy wearing?"

"Uh, blues, sir."

"There you go."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

I guess this myth originated from the Blues being the "best" uniform a cadet may have, so it does not get soiled...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 08, 2016, 02:04:40 PM
I guess this myth originated from the Blues being the "best" uniform a cadet may have, so it does not get soiled...

How does it get soiled by moving at the double?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MSG Mac

Quote from: NIN on August 08, 2016, 02:07:07 PM

Sweat
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 08, 2016, 02:16:35 PM

Sweat

Puddles, mud, falling.  Heard them all over the years.

Spam

Sweat

Sweat not authorized in blues; if it were, there'd be a subparagraph covering it.

Look at NIN's graphic: not a bead of sweat on him. Why, that guy is cool as a cucumber and twice as slick. He doesn't even need shoe laces.

V/R
Spam

Modified: if you are a running USAF officer, it helps to be bionic to not sweat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGO57y4td-c

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

ShannonV

Quote from: GaryVC on July 29, 2016, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 21, 2016, 02:28:28 AM
Quote from: GaryVC on July 20, 2016, 08:44:33 PM
Third person form of address was actually worse then the example (which wasn't third person)

That was Joseph Parilla, Lt Col, CAP and Col, U. S. Army (Ret).

He was a character. Hr was truly "Old Army," as in pre-WWII. Besides the third person thing, he also taught army style D&C, and had an incredible disdain for Jodie's - "I was there when Private Willie Duckworth invented that. I wasn't impressed then, I'm not impressed now." I got to like the guy. I wish I knew more about him. I know that he received the Silver Beaver Award from BSA and the local Little League in his town named an award after him.

He was a major in CAP when I met him. I looked him up in some Army manuals we at at UC Riverside and I can tell you he retired from the Army in 1948 with a AUS (Army of the United States) commission. I think he was a captain for many years between the world wars and once said he had been a judge at what may have been named the "Drill Competition of the United States" sometime before WWII. I was curious what he had done during WWI but never asked him. One thing I did learn from him was how to do a face in marching which wasn't explained very well in the drill and ceremonies book we had then.

I'm sorry to post with no connection to the CAP, but Col. Joseph Parilla was my great-grandfather.  I just love that I Googled his name (as I do from time to time) and that people still remember and talk about him. 

[fixed quotes]

MSG Mac

Quote from: RNOfficer on July 08, 2016, 11:03:51 PM
Quote from: Waterflame6 on July 02, 2016, 09:33:18 PM
Wait, that's a thing???

why did they not go through with it tho

I resume that you are referring to my earlier post "A well-established fable is that CAP cadets were considered for the teenage resistance group in the original "Red Dawn"."

It makes no sense that a CAP cadet unit would have been considered. Maybe you've heard the claim that "CAP is America's best kept secret". I don't know if it's the "best" but the existence of the CAP is not well known among the general American public. For a film to use CAP cadets, there would have to be a whole pointless backstory explaining what they are. No filmmaker would bother with that.

So, very reasonably, a football team was the nucleus of the "Wolverines", which was their school mascot.

CAP was also considered for Iron Eagle
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: ShannonV on February 10, 2017, 03:15:34 AM
Quote from: GaryVC on July 29, 2016, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 21, 2016, 02:28:28 AM
Quote from: GaryVC on July 20, 2016, 08:44:33 PM
Third person form of address was actually worse then the example (which wasn't third person)

That was Joseph Parilla, Lt Col, CAP and Col, U. S. Army (Ret).

He was a character. Hr was truly "Old Army," as in pre-WWII. Besides the third person thing, he also taught army style D&C, and had an incredible disdain for Jodie's - "I was there when Private Willie Duckworth invented that. I wasn't impressed then, I'm not impressed now." I got to like the guy. I wish I knew more about him. I know that he received the Silver Beaver Award from BSA and the local Little League in his town named an award after him.

He was a major in CAP when I met him. I looked him up in some Army manuals we at at UC Riverside and I can tell you he retired from the Army in 1948 with a AUS (Army of the United States) commission. I think he was a captain for many years between the world wars and once said he had been a judge at what may have been named the "Drill Competition of the United States" sometime before WWII. I was curious what he had done during WWI but never asked him. One thing I did learn from him was how to do a face in marching which wasn't explained very well in the drill and ceremonies book we had then.

I'm sorry to post with no connection to the CAP, but Col. Joseph Parilla was my great-grandfather.  I just love that I Googled his name (as I do from time to time) and that people still remember and talk about him. 

[fixed quotes]

Great to hear from a family member of Colonel Joe! He was my living link with history.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

ShannonV

He was drafted in WWI. He retired as a full Bird Colnel.  He had a 5th grade  education (when it came time to produce high school records for promotion  he mentioned an old hs in Youngstown Ohio that had burned down and that was that) and he went through the ranks.  I have a diary from his time in WWI.   He was in England  I believe  most of the time.  He injured his leg on the ship  on the way over, or just before he left,  and was held back for treatment.   He never did get to meet up with his unit (?).  Not much talk in the diary about the war, mostly about a motorcycle he obtained and the dances he  attended  with this girl or that.
In 1925 he wad commissioned a Captain with Compnay H 145th  and in 1939 designed truck & trailer equipment at Camp Perry. He was assigned to Camp Shelby in 1940 and helped build it into a major infantry  installation  during WWII.  In 41 he was transferred to the 73rd Infantry Brigade of the ONG and placed in command of it's headquarters. Later that year he retiref from active duty under a new age resolution at the War Dept.  & was placed on the reserves list. The following April he was recalled to the transportation division and ordered to report to thw War dept. In Washington  & was promoted to lt. Col. 

bh125

Myth: you have to join the Air Force if you join cap/ cap is the Air Force
Many a time I'm at a recruiting booth or some sort and people come up to us and give the "thank you for your service" or "oh cool Air Force kids". One time I was talking to someone, and after telling her we were cap, she said "oh so rotc?" [emoji23] also I have talked to some new cadets who don't want to join because they "don't want to join the Air Force"

almostspaatz

Quote from: bh125 on February 12, 2017, 02:28:34 AM
Many a time I'm at a recruiting booth or some sort and people come up to us and give the "thank you for your service" or "oh cool Air Force kids". One time I was talking to someone, and after telling her we were cap, she said "oh so rotc?" [emoji23] also I have talked to some new cadets who don't want to join because they "don't want to join the Air Force"

That is more of an issue with recruiting/brand awareness instead of a myth that is believed within CAP. That is certainly something that needs to be made clear when pitching CAP to a potential recruit. I am quite honestly impressed that people even recognize that you are wearing an AF uniform, most people seem to assume a uniform=Army. But whenever someone assumes you are part of the USAF, you have already broken the ice and have a chance to talk to them about what we really do.
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Hyperion

Quote from: Spam on June 22, 2016, 06:57:50 PM
New suggestion:

D&C myths and legends are always fun, and are useful to cover when coupled with the admonition to go back to the USAF Instruction for the real truth data on how to drill. Examples that keep popping up of myths and bad habits coming from sacred tradition but not any approved manual or reg:

- The fall out "twirl" on dismissal.
- The hallway passing brace to attention and "BY YOUR LEAVE SIR/MA'AM".
- The Third Person Form of Address "THISCADETDOESNOTKNOWBUTWILLFINDOUTSIR".
- The no hands in pockets in uniform sin.
and so forth.

V/R
Spam

Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 26 JUNE 2014
2.12.3.1. Do not stand or walk with hand(s) in pocket(s), except to insert or remove an item.
To serve in silence.

ColonelJack

Sweat

"If Uncle Sam wanted you to sweat, he's issue it to you!"

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: bh125 on February 12, 2017, 02:28:34 AM

beats the old (real old) days when the Ike Jacket was in and folks would mistake the USAF/CAP Uniform for that of a bus driver.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

MSG Mac

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 14, 2017, 11:57:31 AM

Sweat

"If Uncle Sam wanted you to sweat, he's issue it to you!"

Jack

Classis Sign of Heat Stroke
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: ShannonV on February 11, 2017, 01:53:18 AM
He was drafted in WWI. He retired as a full Bird Colnel.  He had a 5th grade  education (when it came time to produce high school records for promotion  he mentioned an old hs in Youngstown Ohio that had burned down and that was that) and he went through the ranks.  I have a diary from his time in WWI.   He was in England  I believe  most of the time.  He injured his leg on the ship  on the way over, or just before he left,  and was held back for treatment.   He never did get to meet up with his unit (?).  Not much talk in the diary about the war, mostly about a motorcycle he obtained and the dances he  attended  with this girl or that.
In 1925 he wad commissioned a Captain with Compnay H 145th  and in 1939 designed truck & trailer equipment at Camp Perry. He was assigned to Camp Shelby in 1940 and helped build it into a major infantry  installation  during WWII.  In 41 he was transferred to the 73rd Infantry Brigade of the ONG and placed in command of it's headquarters. Later that year he retiref from active duty under a new age resolution at the War Dept.  & was placed on the reserves list. The following April he was recalled to the transportation division and ordered to report to thw War dept. In Washington  & was promoted to lt. Col.

Fascinating! Thanks for that.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.