Bringing members back...

Started by Stonewall, August 19, 2007, 07:08:54 AM

Stonewall

Who has shown up to a "struggling squadron" and found themselves trying to get some folks back who seem to have lost interest?  Yeah?  Me too.

One thing that I've done on two separate occasions was to send letters to seniors and cadets who were still on our MML but hadn't been around since I showed up to the squadron.  It worked both times, bringing back at least 2 cadets and 1 senior each time (1996 and then in 2002).  Some may say "only 2 cadets", but think about it, 2 cadets in a struggling squadron that only has 10 active cadets, that's a 20% gain.

Anyhoo, found this in my files, a letter that can be used if you find yourself in that very situation....

------------------------------------

Dear Fairfax Member,

After reviewing our records, it appears that you have missed multiple meetings or have not attended a meeting in quite some time.

Fairfax Cadet Squadron is currently in the process of revitalizing our program through team work, organization, and leadership.  If you haven't been to a meeting in a while, perhaps now is the time to visit  us once again and see how we've changed.

The squadron has a handful of new seniors, some of whom are former cadets and have years of experience in CAP, the military, or their chosen specialty track.  The cadet numbers have also grown in recent months.  Since September,  12 cadets have joined our ranks.  Our weekly meetings have an average of 20 cadets showing up in proper uniform.  We have established a 6-month agenda for both weekly meetings as well as weekend activities, some of which involve National Capital Wing Headquarters. 

While we've recruited some dedicated seniors, more are needed.  If you're a senior member please visit the squadron to see how you can help mentor a cadet in aerospace education once a month, facilitate a group tour, or arrange a guest speaker.  We need your expertise and experience, and as I view the membership listing, I see a number of seniors who have been in CAP for as many as 10 to 15 years.

Fairfax has also re-established our Search and Rescue capabilities.  With a squadron van, electronic search equipment, and multiple tactical radios, our squadron has the resources to respond when called upon.  We also boast 3 ground team leaders, and 7 ground team member qualified personnel.  Remember, mission base needs people too.  If you're not interested in ground search and rescue, there is a need for members to qualify in mission base staff positions like communications, safety, and transportation.  Fairfax even has four qualified Red Cross first aid instructors that can qualify members in first aid and CPR at half the cost.

There are endless opportunities in CAP and Fairfax Squadron.  But we can only go so far without your participation and help.  We'd like to invite you to come back to a meeting and see what we're up to.  If you're a senior member who is busy with a career, perhaps you could be an aerospace mentor once a month.  A cadet who got bored?  Check us out now, you'll be happy to see our program and how it's grown.

Thank you for you time and we appreciate your membership in the Civil Air Patrol.  If you have any questions or would like to find out more about what we have to offer, feel free to contact myself or any of the members on our active roster.  The squadron's e-mail address is fairfaxsquadron@hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

THOMAS H. CULPEPPER, 1st Lt, CAP
Leadership Officer

Encl: 2 (roster, schedule)
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Ya....but sending that out costs what.....42,43 cents now?  Unless you have one of those forever stamps.  I highly suggest investing in those.  I think we will see 50 cent postage by the end of 2008. 

I like the letter though.  I will use something similar in a mass email.
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Well, I didn't tell the whole story  >:D

This was used when I was new to a squadron and didn't know most of the folks I was sending letters to.  So before sending them out to everyone, I'd ask key personnel, cadets and seniors, if there were any inactive members that we wouldn't want to ask back.  Yes, it can cost a bit of money, and that money often came from my pocket.  Truthfully though, it probably didn't cost more than $15. 
Serving since 1987.