ROAD TRIP!!!!

Started by Stonewall, August 18, 2007, 08:07:34 PM

Stonewall

How cool are CAP road trips?  Something I've done several times was take a road trip to Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB, NC from National Capital Wing.  This served several purposes and each time some of the goals were the same and some were different.  I'm not saying you need to go to Fayetteville, especially if you live in Nebraska or California, but maybe this could serve as a guide for writing up an activity plan for your cadets to have a fun weekend at a different military base.

Goals of the trip:

1.  Tour military facilities.  Fayetteville is good because you've got a major army post and decent sized air force base to visit, along with billeting.  Just so happened, during this particular trip, a former fellow cadet and long term best friend was an OH-58D pilot stationed at Bragg so we got a personal tour of his squadron.

2.  GEAR!  Yes, gear.  Being heavily involved with GSAR, our cadets needed gear.  There is a place called Dixie Pawn Shop in Fayetteville that gave us as much as a 50% discount on gear.  I called in advance each of the 3 times we went and made sure they knew we were coming.  I gave them a certificate of appreciation, a coin and followed up with a personal letter.  We'd have cadets buy everything from large ALICE packs to brand new boots for pennies on the dollar.

3.  Museums.  Airborne and Special Operations Museum is awesome!  Not to mention the JFK Special Warfare Museum on Ft. Bragg.

4.  A good time for bonding and enjoying some "outside CAP" time with your fellow cadets. 

Anyhoo, below is one of the Operations Orders (OPORD) I used to plan and execute one of these trips.

----------------------------------

OPERATIONS ORDER

1.  SITUATION: This plan outlines operational information and requirements for the squadron to travel by van to Pope AFB and Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.

a.  Location: Pope AFB with RON facilities at Carolina Inn Billeting on Pope AFB.
Carolina Inn:  (910) 394-4131 or 4867, reservation number is 91646.
b.  Date: 15 to 16 Mar (Saturday and Sunday)
c. Time: 0700 Sat – 1730 Sun

2. MISSION: To visit military aviation units and military museums that are on or part of the Pope AFB and Ft. Bragg military communities.

3.  EXECUTION:
a. Tasking:
(1)  SAFETY:  Safety is paramount for this activity.  25 personnel will be traveling in two vans over long distances which can offer it's own safety concerns.  It is critical that all personnel are buckled into the van and conducts themselves appropriately, keeping the talking to a low tone so the drivers can concentrate.
(2)  Participating personnel will arrive on time, in proper uniform, and with necessary materials in order to make this activity a success. 
(3)  The activity coordinator for this activity is Major Bowden.
(4)  A Military Support Authorization (MSA) has been issued from CMSgt Kim Johnson, Deputy State Director, allowing all participants to utilize base facilities on Pope AFB to include the Exchange, dining facilities, and billeting.   Only those listed on the MSA with their social security numbers will be authorized to participate in this activity.

b. Assembly:
(1)  Participants will be prepared to depart no later than 0645 from the Fairfax American Legion.  Vehicles will leave at 0700 sharp, and will not wait for anyone who is missing.
(2)  All members should show up in CAP BDU's in accordance with CAPM 39-1.
(3)  Alternate CAP uniforms are authorized for senior members.
(4)  Grooming standards must be adhered to, also IAW 39-1.  Refer to this manual to make sure that you are groomed appropriately as we will be interacting with active duty members of the armed forces.

c. Requirements.
(1)  Three members qualified to drive CAP vehicles must be in attendance.  Although only two vehicles will be driven, a back-up driver is necessary in the event of illness or emergency.
(2)  Each member who participates must pay $20.  This will cover the cost for billeting and fuel as there is no funding allotted for this activity.  Checks to be made payable to "Kirt Bowden" as he is paying for this with one check and/or credit card. 
(3)  Space is limited in the vans so only one "carry-on" bag/backpack will be authorized.  Personal hygiene kits, and a change of suitable clothing are required.  No more than 5 people need to bring a sleeping bag.  Although rooms are provided, most only have 1 double bed and some also have a sofa-bed.   Some may be required to sleep on the floor using a sleeping bag.
(4)  Each member should bring enough money to pay for meals as they are not provided.  There should only be a need for four meals on this trip.  Everyone should eat prior to arrival on Saturday morning and we will be home in time for dinner on Sunday.  It is recommended that no less than $25 is brought for meals only. 
(5)  Additional money may be brought to make purchases as a part of our stay will include a visit to Dixie Pawn and Military Supply.  Coordination has been made in advance for "special deals" for our group.  Prices vary for different items and also depends on the quality of what is being bought (it's used).  To purchase a full set of serviceable web gear, may cost as much as $40, or as little as $20.  Again, it's tough to determine in advance.
(6)  The group will also be going to see a movie the evening of the 15th.  Tears of the Sun is rated "R".  Parental permission must be given in the form of a note in order for cades under 17 to see this movie.  An alternate movie will be available for others to see.
(7)  Bring one set of appropriate civilian clothing to wear to the movie.  Uniforms will be worn while touring all military units or museums.   Bringing a camera is highly encouraged.

d. Deployment:

Sat, 15 Mar 03 (BDU uniform)
0645  Sign-in and assembly
0700  Departure
1130  Lunch
1230  Airborne & Special Operations Museum
1400  Dixie Pawn and Military Supply and General Jackson's Military Supply
1530  Visit OH-58D Helicopter Squadron (CW2 Wayne Grimes)
1700  Check in at Pope AFB Billeting
1800  Evening chow at Air Force dining facility
1900  Departure for evening movie
2300  Lights out

Sun, 29 Dec 02 (civilian clothes)
0830  Breakfast
0930 Check out of billeting
1000  Depart Fayetteville to Dunn, NC
1100  Arrive at Averasboro Battlefield for Reenactment
1200  Eat lunch on your own at the battlefield (or in Fayetteville)
1300  Depart Dunn, NC
1730  Arrive Fairfax American Legion

4.  COMMUNICATIONS:

Major Kirt Bowden,  pkbowden@xxxxxx.com (Activity Coordinator)
H: (703) 742-XXXX, C: (202) 439-XXXX (24 hour), O: (202) 458-XXXX

CMSgt Kim Johnson, dcwglo@xxxx.com (Deputy State Director, DC Wing)
O: (202) 767-XXXX, C:  (301) 868-XXXX

Back up cell phones in the event of an emergency during this activity:

1.  SM Sandy Wood:  (703) 582-XXXX (on-site Safety Officer)
2.  1st Lt Tom Culpepper:  (703) 969-XXXX
3.  Lt Col Gordon McIntosh:  (202) 439-XXXX
4. W2 Wayne Grimes (910) 489-XXXX or home (910) 480-XXXX

Kirt Bowden, Major, CAP
Project Officer
Serving since 1987.

CadetProgramGuy

^^Excellent Ops Order for CP Activities.  I think I shall Borrow your verbage for my Field Trips.  We have the luxury of Offutt AFB 2 hours away, and Whiteman AFB about 6 hours away, both trips that I want to take in the next year.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on August 18, 2007, 08:07:34 PM
GEAR!  Yes, gear.  Being heavily involved with GSAR, our cadets needed gear.  There is a place called Dixie Pawn Shop in Fayetteville that gave us as much as a 50% discount on gear.  I called in advance each of the 3 times we went and made sure they knew we were coming.  I gave them a certificate of appreciation, a coin and followed up with a personal letter.  We'd have cadets buy everything from large ALICE packs to brand new boots for pennies on the dollar.

Not bad!  Funny story........I had soldiers always "missing" gear.  After retreat on the day I found out they were missing something I would go visit all the pawn shops outside the gate and look for their stuff.  Some guys would actually leave their names and units on some gear they pawned.  I would purchase the gear from the pawn shop owner and "resell" it back to my soldiers for 100% over cost.  I would keep my share and put the rest in the flower fund.  After about 5 times of me doing this, I had no more issues. 

Getting back to topic.......I always did 3 base visits a year with my first SQD.  The first was everyone, the second was everyone and friends, the third were all cadet officers.  The cadet officer trip was more in line with a Staff Ride than anything else.  Not sure if the AF does staff rides?  We would usually hook up with a unit that had a notable lineage, and the cadets would present researched topics about that unit.  It was a very good leadership experience.  By far my favorite staff ride was Gettysburg and Valley Forge.  Also, Fort Necessity was pretty cool too!
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

I just noticed the dates for the Sunday portion of the trip are messed up.  Must have screwed something up during editing.  My bad.  Should have read 16 Mar 03.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

Back in the day, my former squadron had a four year stretch where we did a unit "Super trip".  We always tried to time them to coincide with a school break for the cadets, unless it was an easy weekend trip.  Unfortunately, my work schedule never allowed me to participate, but they were all good trips from what I heard.

Each year's trip got just a little further than the last.  We hit places like the Air Force Museum, Washington DC, and the Air Force Academy (and the sights across the northern plains).  I don't remember if we actually went, but there was a trip to Patrick AFB/KSC in the works.

Great bonding experiences for everyone involved, and the usual frustrations of seniors spending significant time locked in a van full of cadets. 

These were back in the early 90's, and I'm still sorry I had to miss out on them.

Slim