Cadet Activities Color Scale

Started by MIKE, August 11, 2007, 06:40:46 PM

MIKE

Reflective Orange - Orange squadrons are Emergency Services/Search and Rescue centric.  The vast majority of activities will involve preparation for the accomplishment of this mission, this may include advanced emergency medical training and other specialized skill sets.   This is not to say that other activities are not provided, but typically at their most basic level so to allow for cadet progression.

Green - Green squadrons wear these things called Battle Dress Uniforms.  They will spend some time outside getting these uniforms dirty.  Green squadrons are much more military oriented than orange squadrons.  Particularly the greener parts of the military.  Green squadrons may actually get to shoot guns on occasion.

• Light green squadrons will mix some ES type activities with other get dirty activities with a military slant.
  • Dark green squadrons might be confused with infantry companies, and have probably made ghillie suits or Ranger beads as a unit activity.  Don't forget the cam cream!

Blue/Green - Pretty self explainitory.  Some blue/green squadrons will be relatively neutral with a pretty balanced program, some will have blueish green tendencies, while others will tend to lean toward greenish blue.  None should be extreme.

Blue - An easy way to classify a blue squadron is that they typically do not do activities that would involve getting their service uniform dirty.  Don't want to bust a shirt garter.  If they wear BDUs at all, they are starched and boots polished such that you would not wear them in the woods, as they might get wrinkled or soiled.  However; not all blue squadrons will be as sharply dressed.

• A blue squadron (Type A) is the Aerospace Education centric squadron.  More of a sky blue or possibly black if they do a lot with space exploration.  They will spend the majority of time learning about aviation and space, doing model rocketry and/or orientation flights.  A sky blue squadron probably has a plane, while a black squadron likely doesn't.
  • A blue squadron (Type B) is the Drill Team/Color Guard/Honor Guard squadron.  They will do whats required to be competitive/win.  Honor Guard squadrons want to do non-standard drill, spin parade rifles and wear blinged out uniforms. You would not think this would be compatible with the other type B units, but they are still very similar.

A commonality between type A and B blue squadrons is that the military nature of the unit doesn't typically extend very far beyond the drill and uniform, as opposed to the green and blue/green units.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Blue is obviously for AE-focused squadrons. 

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on August 11, 2007, 06:51:41 PM
Blue is obviously for AE-focused squadrons.

Not just AE... work in progress.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Interesting concept...pity you didn't range all CAP units from CADET, COMPOSITE to SENIOR SQUADRON.

There is huge room for commentray there.

CADET- INFRARED- Three Seniors and 60 cadets

R- Purely Cadet Program, the mini- ROTC type unit. FOCUS on CADET PROGRESSION, the INTER-CITY SQUADRON.

O- Mix of Aerospace and Cadet Progression, minor ES if any.  O-Flights, likely near a proximate senior unit that flies.

Y- Heavy into ES, Cadet Progression is a side-effect of ES works.  Lots of O-Flights. (sorry Yellow won't render well)

COMPOSITE- GREEN- A WHOLE CAP squadron with CADETS and CAP OFFICERS hitting all Mission Points.

B- A Cadet Program is present and strong but yields to the CAP Officers.  Likely, a DCC is assigned and given all responsibility.

I- A weak Cadet Program, likely stalling. 

V- 20 ES and Flying CAP Officers and five Cadets

SENIOR- ULTRAVIOLET What's  A CADET?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Lancer

Point to all this Mike? Just curious....

MIKE

Just a neat way to categorize units.  I was thinking about it for some reason, so I figured I would post it.  Originally thought of it as a poll, but I have to get the colors down first.
Mike Johnston

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MIKE

I don't spam them like some people, and I try to make them somewhat meaningful.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Bill said it first (in public)!!!   :angel:

ZigZag911

Actually, I find it intriguingly analytical, accurate in its descriptions, and highly entertaining.....and yet one more proof that most of us on this board have too much time on our hands (or ingest too much caffeine each day, gotta be one or the other) :D

arajca

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 12, 2007, 07:15:47 AM
Actually, I find it intriguingly analytical, accurate in its descriptions, and highly entertaining.....and yet one more proof that most of us on this board have too much time on our hands (or ingest too much caffeine each day, gotta be one or the other) :D
Could be both.  :angel:

NEBoom

Quote from: arajca on August 12, 2007, 04:59:47 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 12, 2007, 07:15:47 AM
Could be both.  :angel:

Is both... ;)

It's an interesting way to look at it though.  We all know there are units of every variety out there.  My impression is that most of our rural area units are orange, with orange-light green or orange-blue tendencies.  We have a couple of blue units, but even they have blue-green or blue-orange tendencies (what kind of a color would blue-orange be anyway?).  I really can't think of any that are one solid color though.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: NEBoom on August 12, 2007, 05:39:47 PM(what kind of a color would blue-orange be anyway?). 

A Florida Gators fan, of course!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

I didn't envision blue/orange as being possible.  Total opposite ends of the scale.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NEBoom

Quote from: MIKE on August 12, 2007, 06:44:06 PM
I didn't envision blue/orange as being possible.  Total opposite ends of the scale.
Yet we have a unit here that is HUGE into Color Guard comp (and supposedly working up a drill team), but is also big into Communications, and has a ground team.  I'd put them far more blue than orange, but they do both things.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

BillB

GO GATORS  Hey I'm 3 miles from the University of Florida
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BlackKnight

Instead of picking discrete colors, why not create one of those RGB/RYB color wheel graphs.  Sort of like a "mood ring" for a balanced squadron.   As you move towards the edges you become more un-nnn-ba-ba-ba-llanced.  ;)

We can assign number values to each activity type the squadron performs and the number average would provide your location on the color wheel...

[Reality check: Anyone posting to this thread has WAAY too much time on their hands!]
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

jimmydeanno

I think it is a great way for people to associate squadron climates with their own.  People naturally understand color (for the most part - blue + yellow = green, red + blue = purple), so it gives a great visual representation of where their squadron lies and where they'd like to be, in the same way people can look at the colors of the ribbons and associate what the requirements for it were.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

The base colors are based on the uniform worn.

Reflective Orange - Orange Reflective Vest
Green - Woodland Camouflage Battle Dress Uniform
Blue - Service Uniform
Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: MIKE on August 12, 2007, 06:44:06 PM

NO... NOT THE GATORS

THE University of Illinois Fighting ILLINI
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

BTW... my composite squadron has a blend.

The cadet side of the house is Orange and Green
the Senior side of the house is Orange and Blue-green.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RogueLeader

Wow, this is pretty cool, not to mention fairly realistic.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340