New Cadets Parents Briefing

Started by Snake Doctor, July 20, 2007, 12:18:32 PM

Snake Doctor

I'm trying to save time and not reinvent the wheel if someone already has what I'm looking for.
That would be.......A briefing for parents of prospective cadets. This would be something the
parents would get their first meeting night. I'd want to be able to localize it. 

Thank you in advance. 
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

jimmydeanno

^Sorry I can't offer anything for you, but I just wanted to say thank you for doing that.  This is something that we don't do enough of.  Most parents just drop their kids off and we see them in two hours.  Many do not even take the time to find out what our names are or who they are leaving their children with.

I think it is very important to do some sort of briefing for parents.  Set expectations of them to pick their children up on time, drop them off on time, let them know what is expected of their child, etc.

Thank you for doing this :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Snake Doctor

It's something that's been needed fro a long time.
I want to incorporate information on the expenditure of monies, ie. Encampment and all that goes with that, as well as other activities.
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Lancer

Quote from: Snake Doctor on July 20, 2007, 12:42:37 PM
It's something that's been needed fro a long time.
I want to incorporate information on the expenditure of monies, ie. Encampment and all that goes with that, as well as other activities.

We're working on doing something similar at our unit. Our 'Welcome Packet' consists of a folder with the unit commanders CAP business card, a generic welcome letter that outlines CAP and our unit and the 'Opportunity Knocks' brocure. If both parents show up with their 'prospective cadet' we ask that at least one or both stick around so they can see what we do and be able to ask questions as they come up.

We stick to the 'three meeting' rule and then if they are interested in joining; then we introduce the 'estimated costs' sheet, which outlines what they need to order uniform/supply wise, and expectations for special events like encampments, ect.

No need scaring the bejebus out of them the first time the stop in. Granted it's a far cry cheaper than most activities their child can participate in, especially compared to sports programs like hockey.

Stonewall

Never attached a file before, but see if it works.  It's called the "Parent's Cheat Sheet".  A wise, not-so-old, fellow SM from the North Eastern US gave this to me years ago and I've edited to suit our needs.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Oh yeah, found this one too.

As you read through anything I attach, be advised that I've been in the process of converting things from Fairfax Squadron to Jacksonville Squadron so there may be some inconsistencies...
Serving since 1987.

Snake Doctor

Stonewall,

I'm liking these two products.  Thank you.

Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

jimmydeanno

^I agree, I especially like the parents handbook, it is by far one of the better things I've seen on the topic.  Well done to whoever wrote it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LtCol Hooligan

Has anyone used Project Great Start?  I know this is a little off topic for parents, but it looks like it would be great for new cadets.  Perhaps the officers could go through this with the new cadet and parents on the first night so parents can see what is expected:

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/cadet_programs/tools_for_leaders/great_start/

I also found this doc as well.  It looks like a lot of fluff, but perhaps it would work too:

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/cadet_programs/index.cfm?nodeID=6741&audienceID=4
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

NEBoom

^^Hey Erik!  How goes it? (Check your PM, I just sent you something)
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Stonewall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 20, 2007, 02:24:36 PM
^I agree, I especially like the parents handbook, it is by far one of the better things I've seen on the topic.  Well done to whoever wrote it.

Cheatsheet was originally created by Darin Ninness and the Cadet Handbook thing was created by myself.

Thanks for the comments.
Serving since 1987.

Lancer

Quote from: Stonewall on July 20, 2007, 06:10:50 PM
Cheatsheet was originally created by Darin Ninness and the Cadet Handbook thing was created by myself.

Thanks for the comments.

Why am I not surprised?  ;) Good work fellas.

Tubacap

I am currently planning great start.  There is a cadet and officer version of the course.  I plan on meshing some of the materials Stonewall has put up which are great into the program!  The first couple of lesson plans in Great Start are for the parents of the cadets adn go through a lot of the material, but there is no cheat sheet like what Stonewall put up.  Great job!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Stonewall

I know this will blow up into a huge "off topic" discussion, but the parent's cheatsheet is the only thing I ever gave to parents.  That, and the initial welcome briefing.  While many will argue until the cows come home, I'm not a fan of parents getting involved with their cadet's experience in CAP.  Show up to promotions, ecnampment grads, and squadron holiday parties, but anything more than dropping off and picking up your cadet gets in the way.

I do it exactly the same way I experienced my cadet days because it worked and gave me freedom from my parents 2 1/2 hours a week and the occasional weekend.  As a commander, I certainly didn't mind parents popping in to clarify some info about encampment or whatever, but when they showed up every week and take 10 minutes of my time talking about their cadet; no thank you.

But that's just how I roll...
Serving since 1987.

Tubacap

I would tend to agree to a point.  If a parent wants to become an active officer in their own right that is different, but I do agree that it is nice to have the cadets have time on their own to mature without the parental connection. 

On a personal note, I am interested to see how my son matures (he's only six months old so I have awhile), and what programs he chooses.  I wonder if it will be related to where I am involved, and if so, whether that will be a positive or negative for him.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

LtCol Hooligan

Not to add to the clutter, but I scare most parents off by trying to recruit them as Patron Members.  Some how getting handed paperwork and a membership application keeps them away!!  It is nice when a few do sign the papers and help out when we need drivers, though.  I hate to tell any cadet they can't go to an activity because we don't have a driver to get them there.  Patron Members do help in that situation.  I think you did hit the nail on the head about limiting questions from parents.  Have parents nights once per quarter, send newsletters home with the cadets (in the local squadron, we require parents to sign them to show that the cadets actually gave it to them), and setup a website and keep it updated so parents no where to go for more info.  Most of them are just trying to figure out what their kid is doing and where they are going.  It is funny, but most of the time all parents know is there kid will be going to Camp XYZ for an Encampment.  Be back in 10 days.  They are quiet about it until 2 weeks before the activity- then they come out of the wood work (parents nights are good for this).
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

SARMedTech

Quote from: Stonewall on July 20, 2007, 07:55:33 PM
I know this will blow up into a huge "off topic" discussion, but the parent's cheatsheet is the only thing I ever gave to parents.  That, and the initial welcome briefing.  While many will argue until the cows come home, I'm not a fan of parents getting involved with their cadet's experience in CAP.  Show up to promotions, ecnampment grads, and squadron holiday parties, but anything more than dropping off and picking up your cadet gets in the way.

I do it exactly the same way I experienced my cadet days because it worked and gave me freedom from my parents 2 1/2 hours a week and the occasional weekend.  As a commander, I certainly didn't mind parents popping in to clarify some info about encampment or whatever, but when they showed up every week and take 10 minutes of my time talking about their cadet; no thank you.

But that's just how I roll...

My CO helped us out a little with meetings starting late because of "parental involvement." He came up with a sign in sheet that asks name, date, cadets name, purpose of visit and sign in and out time. He also made up a dozen or so laminated visitors tags that are bright purple with a blaze orange "VISITOR" label on them. Most  the parents decide its not worth the trouble just to see if little Johnny can get another blues shirt. We also have one SM NCO who sort of acts as our de facto master at arms. Stands next to any visiting parents and then after about 5 minutes asks if he may show them back to the exit.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."