Main Menu

Hawaii CAP on Magnum P.I.?

Started by NIN, May 26, 2013, 12:03:23 PM

NIN

I was surfing IMDB for something idle this morning when I came across this in the Magnum P.I. cast listing:
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

It's possible. They use a lot of "local talant" out there. They've managed to use just about every Federal, State and City agency there in Hawaii so far.

Flying Pig

Eclipse

TMFT intersects Netflix (I'm supposed to be putting up the pool).

Season 7, episode 15 (some references say 14) "On The Fly".

After a shootout involving automatic weapons, Magnum and another guy escape in a Cessna (there was a back story about Magnum taking helicopter lessons earlier).  The other guy is apparently shot, and Magnum has to fly the plane.

"Art" pops up at about 41 mins in as an ATC guy who is going to try and talk Magnum down.  Other then
the reference in the intro dialogue, there's no other mention or reference to CAP.

Meet "Art The CAP pilot".

Art's not the smoothest cat on the islands - he keeps calling Thomas "Tommy" in an effort to "make him comfortable", and then
proceeds to tell him he will have to burn off the fuel before he "crashes...er...lands".  From there it's a little banter with
Higgins about jumping into the water (not an option), dumping the fuel (not an option), and some mental dialog about the
various movies that have featured stewardesses landing jumbo jets.

There's a fair amount of stuff that will drive real pilots, and even aircrew nuts - for some reason "Art" keeps saying "check", which eventually prompts Magnum to do the same, and he's running the ATC
display on what appears to be a olde schoole IBM PC.

There's some kind of poorly-added tube with a valve in the rear of the plane which is supposed to be the fuel dump, not to mention the fact that for some reason the pilot guy gets into the right seat, and Thomas is forced to do a shoulder roll and run into the left seat (though that sets him up as pilot later) - could have been all the automatic gunfire.

The aerial shots of the Cessna are pretty, though.  No visible tail number.  I'm guessing that funky stripe on the rear of the fuselage that doesn't match the rest of the striping, is covering the tail number.
The dashboard says "N758ND" which comes back as this aircraft in CA - http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00743047
My guess would be the aircraft was rented for use as a setpiece in CA, while a second unit flew a different aircraft in HI.  The tail indicated crashed in 2004 with "substantial damage", and is now listed as being owned by a company in MN.  http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20040616X00822&ntsbno=LAX04CA219&akey=1, interestigly, it apparently was in HI in the '80's, having been involved in an incident in 1989 in Honalulul http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001213X27739&key=2 

**** SPOILER ALERT ****
Magnum lands the plane safely.
**** SPOILER ALERT ****

((*sigh*)) back to the pool.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Almost missed this nugget - the car chasing the airplane hits a bush an does a full barrel roll.

Apparently they make some pretty hearty bushes in HI!

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Netflix. Figures. Amazon Prime & Hulu did not have this episode. I was torrenting it with an ETA of something approaching infinity.  Guess I can stop now that there is nothing to see.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Rick-DEL

That show used to use a lot of locals. I remember seeing them filming at Bellows AFS. Bellows was a divided beach between the military and civilian population. They used to film on the civilian side. I also remember seeing TC's chopper flying around and also ran across a scene shoot in Honolulu and saw the Ferrari 308.

The show 'Tour of Duty' also shot some scenes on Wheeler AFB. Some of my USAF co-workers were tag to served as extras. They got to wear vintage era uniforms and worked in the background of a few scenes on the flight line with our OV-10A Broncos.

NIN

Quote from: Rick-DEL on May 28, 2013, 12:34:35 PM
That show used to use a lot of locals. I remember seeing them filming at Bellows AFS. Bellows was a divided beach between the military and civilian population. They used to film on the civilian side. I also remember seeing TC's chopper flying around and also ran across a scene shoot in Honolulu and saw the Ferrari 308.

When I was in college, I worked for a PI. My friends all thought it was cool. I said "You're not wearing a Tigers ballcap and driving a Ferrari..

The show 'Tour of Duty' also shot some scenes on Wheeler AFB. Some of my USAF co-workers were tag to served as extras. They got to wear vintage era uniforms and worked in the background of a few scenes on the flight line with our OV-10A Broncos.

I talked to some guys from the 25th ID during Team Stupid Spirit one year, maybe 1988, and they were saying that the producers were always trolling for extras at Schofield. You'd take a week of leave, bring your TA-50 and your jungle boots, they'd equip you with jungle fatigues, fake rifle, helmet, etc and stick you in a scene. Apparently it was a good way make a couple hundred extra bucks...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Rick-DEL

I talked to some guys from the 25th ID during Team Stupid Spirit one year, maybe 1988, and they were saying that the producers were always trolling for extras at Schofield. You'd take a week of leave, bring your TA-50 and your jungle boots, they'd equip you with jungle fatigues, fake rifle, helmet, etc and stick you in a scene. Apparently it was a good way make a couple hundred extra bucks...

Yep. I was stationed there in 88 (Feb 86 to Nov 88). I also did TS 87 at Osan AB. Wonder if we ever crossed paths?

coudano

Quote from: NIN on May 26, 2013, 12:03:23 PM
I was surfing IMDB for something

Researching your future mustache?

NIN

Quote from: Rick-DEL on May 28, 2013, 02:08:45 PM
Yep. I was stationed there in 88 (Feb 86 to Nov 88). I also did TS 87 at Osan AB. Wonder if we ever crossed paths?

Entirely likely. I was at Cp Humphreys from Sept of 1986 to January of 1989, so I was there for TS 87 & 88.  Spent a ton of time at Osan (usually off duty) and we flew both sides (Blue & Orange) and the umpires (white) all over the country.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Flying Pig

Quote from: NIN on May 28, 2013, 01:01:39 PM
Quote from: Rick-DEL on May 28, 2013, 12:34:35 PM

When I was in college, I worked for a PI. My friends all thought it was cool. I said "You're not wearing a Tigers ballcap and driving a Ferrari..

I looked into doing stuff as an extra for military movies.... Holy crap.... I had to pay THEM!!!   It was something ridiculous like $500-$800 to join some organization or union or something.  I guess there is no shortage for extras.  I just thought it would be fun.  I was not looking to make it as a star!

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah.

Once in NYC I went looking for part-time as an extra. First I was interviewed. Then I was told I had to get a professional photo (read in the $300 range!). Then go to another interview, paying more exorbitant fees.  :-\

I guess they regard extras as top-of-the-line models. Even if they only film, you from afar...  :P

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

LOL, a 5150 PC with an original NEC Multisync RGB monitor. That's an ancient step back. :)

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on May 28, 2013, 01:01:39 PM

It is not at all like tv. Same thing with bounty hunting, all hype.   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: flyer333555 on May 28, 2013, 05:03:34 PM
Yeah.

Once in NYC I went looking for part-time as an extra. First I was interviewed. Then I was told I had to get a professional photo (read in the $300 range!). Then go to another interview, paying more exorbitant fees.  :-\

I guess they regard extras as top-of-the-line models. Even if they only film, you from afar...  :P

Flyer

In my LAPD Police Academy class we had a few wannabe actors. One day one guy mentioned lets see your 8x10 and the other guy pulled one out of his locker. Next day a couple guys brought in their 8x10s. A year later on the job I had contact with a casting agent. She said you ever thought about acting? I said no and she said, you should, you are totally "Adam-12".   8) 

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on May 28, 2013, 05:47:30 PM
LOL, a 5150 PC with an original NEC Multisync RGB monitor. That's an ancient step back. :)

That's 5150 W.I.C. not P.C.

LTC Don

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 29, 2013, 08:03:08 AM
Yeah.

Flyer

In my LAPD Police Academy class we had a few wannabe actors. One day one guy mentioned lets see your 8x10 and the other guy pulled one out of his locker. Next day a couple guys brought in their 8x10s. A year later on the job I had contact with a casting agent. She said you ever thought about acting? I said no and she said, you should, you are totally "Adam-12".   8)

Adam-12 episodes are available on Hulu.  Considering how bad the acting was back then, that wasn't exactly a complement...  ;)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on May 30, 2013, 04:36:26 PM
Quote from: a2capt on May 28, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

That's 5150 W.I.C. not P.C.

He said 5150. Uh-huh, uh-huh. [Dave gets it!]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Critical AOA

Quote from: LTC Don on May 30, 2013, 05:45:05 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on May 29, 2013, 08:03:08 AM
Yeah.

Flyer

Adam-12 episodes are available on Hulu.  Considering how bad the acting was back then, that wasn't exactly a complement...  ;)

:clap: :clap:
Now that was funny!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw