Electronic Logbooks?

Started by Crash, January 11, 2010, 03:25:21 PM

Crash

Hey Team.

Does anyone use any type of Electronic Logbook?

Have you found any one that works better than another?

Would like opinions on the best electronic logbook for pilot use.  Would be especially useful if custom fields can be created for CAP activities.

Al Sayre

I've seen a couple that people custom created using Excel.  It's easy enough.  You can embed any endorsments by scanning them in and inserting them as photos.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SilverEagle2

www.logshare.com

Custom...yes. Good...yes. Use...yes

Unfortunately it is no longer free.

I am exporting mine now...no way I am going to pay $69.95 a year.

I can send you my Excel version if you like. Simple, customizable, and reports are endless if you know excel.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Crash

SURE!  Would love to see your excel stuff.

I have also looked at Jeppesen's and a couple of other logbook programs.  Some are simple, others are very tough.  Just wanted to see who is using what, and what their experience is with it.

Thrashed

I didn't swith over to the electronic logbooks.  Too difficult to enter the 13,000 hours.  I still log my time, but I really don't care anymore.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

Crash

Yeah, that's cool.  Hey, if it works for you, then great.  I know of some "professional" pilots who, while going through the interview process for hire, must produce an electronic copy for the interviewer - or they will not get past step #2 in the process.  Most flying/hiring organizations (I am told) require far more than the totals at the bottom of a standard logbook.  Time in class, time in type, time in <insert request here>, number of <insert request here>, etc..

On the CAP side, I have heard a few stories from various local pilots on how they keep track of their hours.  Some put everything in their pilot logbook (MR/observer/scanner), still others purchase that nice little official red CAP logbook.

Still, I would like to go electronic, and would love to hear about anyone else using electronic logbooks, and how they like and/or dislike their software.

SilverEagle2

QuoteSURE!  Would love to see your excel stuff.

PM me with your email and I'll send you a blank copy.

I would just make separate tabs copying the sheet I have to separate MS, MO, MP stuff.

My sheet is for my flying only, but could easily be converted to the CAP only stuff
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

vento

I use LogTen Pro with my Mac. http://coradine.com/logten-pro/
It can export and print the log book in many different formats, like Jeppesen, European, etc, etc...

a2capt

LogTen Pro kicks major .. (and Col.) arse .. ;-)

and the companion iPhone app works wonders too.

Inquire about a CAP discount. ;-)

You can make any custom report you need, for example CAWG has a 6/12 month summary report they like to see in the form 5 pile. ..

Prior to that I used a FileMaker and Excel solution.

PhotogPilot

I use logbook pro, from ncsoftware. Excel based, importable and exportable, easy to use, highly customizable and reports out the wazoo. PDA version available (don't know about iPhone, I have not checked since I got mine. Paid about $69 in 2000, and have not been charged for any updates since. They also have a transcription service available if you don't want to input your whole logbook. I think you can get there from either www.logbookpro.com or www.ncsoftware.com.

isuhawkeye

If you like the social media approach check out

www.jetrecord.com

c172drv

Quote from: PhotogPilot on January 20, 2010, 06:00:23 PM
I use logbook pro, from ncsoftware. Excel based, importable and exportable, easy to use, highly customizable and reports out the wazoo. PDA version available (don't know about iPhone, I have not checked since I got mine. Paid about $69 in 2000, and have not been charged for any updates since. They also have a transcription service available if you don't want to input your whole logbook. I think you can get there from either www.logbookpro.com or www.ncsoftware.com.

I'll second this recommendation.  I use the Airline Daily Pilot Logbook which is tailored to , well duh airline pilots, but it imports into logbook pro.  I recommend that if you don't have too many hours that you try to enter it all and get one set of totals without mathmatical errors like my paper books have.

Cheers,

John
John Jester
VAWG

Mustang

LogShare.com used to be the best game in town, I've used it for many years.  Unfortunately, the owner has decided to sell it off and the new owner decided on a subscription-based revenue model. flightlogg.in appears to be a reasonable free substitute, though it's slightly less customizable.

Though I have an excel spreadsheet as a backup, I prefer database-driven solutions as they are more flexible in terms of the depth of data and extracting that data in a useful format.

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

redfire122

I use a free program from the website www.cheappilot.com.  It is exel based and easy to use and customize.

Sincerely,

Dave McEntire
David McEntire
GLR-IN-084 CC
INWG Glider Operations Officer

Capt Rivera

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 11, 2010, 05:07:25 PM

I can send you my Excel version if you like. Simple, customizable, and reports are endless if you know excel.

Would you mind posting the blank copy to the thread?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

twofivexray

Roger W. Bass, 1st Lt, CAP
Easton Composite Squadron, MD-079
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

tdepp

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 20, 2010, 06:19:44 PM
If you like the social media approach check out

www.jetrecord.com
ISU: Thanks for suggesting Jet Record.  It's not perfect but it's easy to use and quick to make entries.  And it's free!  :clap:
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

isuhawkeye

Glad you like it.  I share some of my flights on there

LeoBurke

Dauntless is AWESOME!  Highly Recommend
Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

FlyTiger77

Has anything changed over the last two years?

After a brief 16 year hiatus, I am back flying and thinking about an electronic logbook. Are there any pros or cons?

I have about 800 hours that I will have to input at some point, but that won't take but a rainy day (or two or three).

Thanks in advance.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

JeffDG

Helo hours don't count as "flying", more "beating the atmosphere into submission".
>:D

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on April 03, 2012, 02:23:01 PM
Helo hours don't count as "flying", more "beating the atmosphere into submission".
>:D

Easy, killer. Jealousy doesn't become you.  ;)

Seriously, any advice on an electronic log book? I downloaded the evaluation copy of Logbook Pro and it seems sufficient but not terribly refined.

I had someone recommend against using an electronic logbook in the off chance of having an accident and then the insurance company getting wind of the existence of the log book and using any discrepancy to deny a claim.

Personally, I find that to be about two levels beyond my typical paranoia level, but I may just be naive.

Eclipse

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 03:05:52 PM
I had someone recommend against using an electronic logbook in the off chance of having an accident and then the insurance company getting wind of the existence of the log book and using any discrepancy to deny a claim.

Wouldn't the same be true for a standard, hand-written log?

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2012, 03:19:34 PM

Yes, it would. His instructions to his significant other are to burn said log book in the event of an accident.

***My 300th post in just 2.3 short years on CAP Talk***

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 03:23:12 PM

Yes, it would. His instructions to his significant other are to burn said log book in the event of an accident.

Better solution:  don't lie in your logbook...telling the truth makes keeping your story straight much easier!

Now, with you at an even 300, we can pick on you and you can't respond without messing up your count!

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on April 03, 2012, 04:10:39 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 03:23:12 PM

Better solution:  don't lie in your logbook...telling the truth makes keeping your story straight much easier!

I think his concern was with making an inadvertant error that would be used to deny a claim as opposed to telling a lie/fib.

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 04:18:26 PM
I think his concern was with making an inadvertant error that would be used to deny a claim as opposed to telling a lie/fib.
I thought better of that the moment I posted it...didn't mean to impugn the integrity of anyone there...even if I don't know who you're talking about!

Huey Driver

Back to more relevancy on the topic, I made an Excel worksheet for anyone who logs gliders and in minutes.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

FalconHatTrick

I personally use flightlogg.in it was created by an alum of my university.  Its not highly customizable, but you are able to add tags to each aircraft and run totals off those tags.  and its FREE!

For example, If you fly a G1000 or Avidyne system, you can add a "glass cockpit"  tag, and search total hours by the tag "glass cockpit" or whatever tag you add.  Also for those who are going for new certificates it has a milestones section that give you totals towards, private, commercial or ATP and 135 VFR and PIC requirements. And of course it gives you currency for day/night, multi, etc. Plus it also gives you 8710 totals!

I've used it for close to 4 years now, so I can attest that it does what anyone would need an e-logbook for.  So to the OP, you can add a tag for CAP aircraft and be able to total your times for CAP flights. 
Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

peter rabbit

I have a standard paper logbook which is my official record. I also photocopy the pages as completed, plus key page totals to a spreadsheet. The copies are for backup. The spreadsheet checks my addition plus keeps up with my time in each type of aircraft I've flown. Overkill? Maybe but I've had reason to rely on all.

scooter

If all you are doing is CAP flying, your time is in a WMIRS pilot log. On the WMIRS main page, click on "Reports" then "Pilot Log". enter the data and it will display your time, you can print them for reference. Not really a log book but really good backup info.