All right, which one of us was responsible for this

Started by MikeD, August 27, 2009, 06:50:44 AM

MikeD

Some guy dropped his kid off for the first day of school... in a helicopter:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/orl-helicopter-school-082609,0,2243370.story

Anyone want to fess up to that?  And, for me, someday (both having kids and a license to fly a helo).

JohnKachenmeister

Not guilty, your honor.

As a matter of common sense, I never fly any aircraft with wings that travel faster than the fuselage.
Another former CAP officer

NIN

Nothing says "Throw the volley ball at my head harder" than your parental units making you stick out like a sore thumb on the first day of school.  Poor kid has probably picked up the name "Whirlyboy" or something.  Nice.  Way to make a positive impression for your son, there, dad.

First day of high school is tough enough. You're trying to blend in, be just like everybody else, not attract attention, especially negative attention.  Then dad decides to go all Colonel Kilgore for ya.

My son's first day in a new school was yesterday. He was very anxious about having to ride a bus, etc.  Bus driver yelled at him ("Siddown and shaddyup!") and then on the way home they dropped him off at a stop a mile from his stop. (he's 8, by the way)

Scary stuff either way.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

The FAA is going to strip that guy naked and beat him to a pulp.  Appareantly he missed the day of flight training where they covered common sense.
Landing a helicopter on school property is a HUGE NO NO.  Look for a lengthy suspension coming down the pipe, and that NO flight school will ever rent him a helo again.

jimmydeanno

QuoteAlthough the FAA still is looking into the matter, an official said Sutherin likely isn't in trouble because he landed the aircraft safely and "in accordance with the Federal Aviation Regulations."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

Hmmm, we'll see.  Most States have laws against landing on school property without prior permission.  In CA permission goes through Cal-Trans.  One of our helicopters did it for a career day.  However, they forgot we were doing it.  When we landed back at the airport there were 3 FAA inspectors waiting for us.  They were out for blood.  Fortunately, we had all of our documentation, and they found theirs.

This guy needs spanked for bad judgement.

Gunner C

QuoteThe FAA is going to strip that guy naked and beat him to a pulp.

"Thank you, sir!  May I have another?"  ;D

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 27, 2009, 07:10:04 PM
Hmmm, we'll see.  Most States have laws against landing on school property without prior permission.  In CA permission goes through Cal-Trans.  One of our helicopters did it for a career day.  However, they forgot we were doing it.  When we landed back at the airport there were 3 FAA inspectors waiting for us.  They were out for blood.  Fortunately, we had all of our documentation, and they found theirs.

Florida is a little different from The People's Republic of California (Admit it... you even have a red star on your state flag).  It wasn't a good idea, but on the other hand, I don't know that it violated any FAR's.

If it violated school policy, the kid might end up in detention.  Way to start the year.

coolkites

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 27, 2009, 08:36:40 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on August 27, 2009, 07:10:04 PM

Florida is a little different from The People's Republic of California (Admit it... you even have a red star on your state flag).  It wasn't a good idea, but on the other hand, I don't know that it violated any FAR's.

If it violated school policy, the kid might end up in detention.  Way to start the year.

The kid didn't do anything wrong except go along for the ride maybe they should make the dad come in for a week of lunch detentions!

Airrace

Poor judgement on the helo pilot. I don't see any FAA violations!

Flying Pig

Silly boy, pistons are for kids >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rotorhead

Quote from: Airrace on August 28, 2009, 01:33:07 AM
Poor judgement on the helo pilot. I don't see any FAA violations!
Landing on any property other than an airport without permission is not a real smart idea.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

A.Member

Lighten up.  Should he have asked for permission first?  Sure.  But ultimately is this really that big a deal?  No.  But by all accounts at this point he operated the aircraft safely and in accordance with the regs, so relax.  If I saw this occur, my first response would not be to place a call to authorities. 

The people that are getting their panties in a bunch over this, such as this principal, need to get out a lot more.

Glad the kid enjoyed the ride!  :clap:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Johnny Yuma

No laws broken, no FAR's violated. They can't cry tresspassing either.

Talk about a lot of whining for nothing!
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Flying Pig

Depends on where you are.  I saw in the article, it said very few students even saw it because he landed in a clear area away from the students.  My only concern is the guy has a PPL Helo.  Id be curious to see how many hours he has.  Unless hes independently wealthy, at near $300 per hour for a 300C in most areas Id speculate he's very low time.

However, in CA, they would crucify you with rusty nails.  So for you CA pilots....dont even think about it!! ;D

JohnKachenmeister

Yet another reason I am glad I did not retire to California!

Strick

come on guys........... we all know he had his dad brought it for show and tell ;D not to mention the chick factor ::)
[darn]atio memoriae

Rotorhead

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on August 28, 2009, 03:21:22 AM
No laws broken, no FAR's violated. They can't cry tresspassing either.

Why do you contend they cannot cry trespassing?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Flying Pig

Trespassing does not apply.  I imagine FL and CA law are similar in this regard.  Im sure it is reasonable for the father to believe he is allowed to drop his kid off at school.  The vehicle used, a helicopter in this case, is irrelevant.  Would they arrest a parent for pulling into the circle drive on school property for the sole intent of dropping the kid off because the principle doesnt like Chevy Tahoes?  No.   There was no intent to unlawfully enter the property.  If there had been a previous incident, and he was advised he was no longer allowed on the property, then you could streeeeeetch trespassing, however, that warning to not enter school property would have had to stem from something criminal or a restraining order.  In the case of a school, where the adult has a kid attending, the parent is not barred from the school.  From here on out, if the school wanted to, I imagine they could send him a letter stating that because of his actions he is no longer allowed on school district property or he could be arrested.  But not for this especially since it appears that he actually did nothing wrong.  My thought is, he's probably a pretty cool dad.

If there were no FAR's violated, and no State, County or Municipal laws violated, then he's good to go.  If its in a rural area, and he landed in an area clear of kids and the school, then perhaps his judgement was sound.  When I read the article, I assumed it was on the grass in front of the school surrounded by kids.  As I read the article with more detail, it looks as if he took precautions to land away from anything.

Rotorhead

But he didn't have permission to land on the property.

Just because you CAN physically land anywhere, doesn't mean you're legally allowed to do so...or that you should.

If he landed in your backyard, with no intent to unlawfully enter your home, you probably wouldn't be real pleased.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. but as a pilot with a CPL-H, I wouldn't do it without getting permission first.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ