Payment Required for Initial Form 5?

Started by Turk, January 30, 2009, 02:21:53 AM

DG

Quote from: SJFedor on January 31, 2009, 09:02:48 AM

As my high school football coach said, "you gotta give a little to get a little"

High school football, Stevie?

"you gotta give a little to get a little"     ???    :o   ::)

Turk

You, my fellow thread-mates have made a compelling argument that members should pay for their initial Form 5s.

Personally, I agree! And I certainly didn't mind paying for mine.

Buuuuuuut.... where in the regs is this actually required?  ???

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

ßτε

Quote from: Turk on January 31, 2009, 04:15:30 PM
You, my fellow thread-mates have made a compelling argument that members should pay for their initial Form 5s.

It isn't required that the initial Form 5 is paid fore by the member. What is in the regs is that only SAR/DR, TMP, or Cadet Orientation Pilot can get AF reimbursement for Form 5 checkrides. If a pilot hasn't had an initial Form 5 yet, he or she cannot yet be a  SAR/DR, TMP, or Cadet Orientation Pilot yet, and is ineligible for AF reimbursement.

Eclipse

Quote from: bte on January 31, 2009, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: Turk on January 31, 2009, 04:15:30 PM

It isn't required that the initial Form 5 is paid for by the member. What is in the regs is that only SAR/DR, TMP, or Cadet Orientation Pilot can get AF reimbursement for Form 5 checkrides. If a pilot hasn't had an initial Form 5 yet, he or she cannot yet be a  SAR/DR, TMP, or Cadet Orientation Pilot yet, and is ineligible for AF reimbursement.

Correct, there are some wings, especially in more "flush" years, that would occasionally pay for an initial under certain circumstances, though this was pretty rare.

As this is a budgetary item, even recurrent Form 5's need to be approved in advance by most states, especially towards the end of a fiscal year.

"That Others May Zoom"

sparks

One more funding issue top add to the pile. The pilot must have a current BFR too. 60-1 doesn't use that precise language but that is what is intended. Getting the BFR also is funded by the pilot needing the training.

A question I occasionally receive concerns the legality of a pilot taking the BFR flight in a CAP aircraft in order to satisfy that CAPF 5 pre-requirement.   Since the pilot is assumed to have a Private or higher license the training ban on private license training wouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

RADIOMAN015

I think with the economy as it is, you are going to see less members really doing any personally funded proficiency flying -- perhaps the very minimum necessary.

Maybe there will be funds for reevaluating pilots as required by the regulation or maybe the priority will be to mission pilots only  (although I think cadet orientation pilots should also be considered in the priority mix). As far as transport pilots are concerned, IF someone has been in the program for over 12 months and is not progressing to any other speciality, than they are basically "flying club members" and we shouldn't allocate ANY funding for their re-qualification.

CAP is going to find it increasingly diffcult to retain aircraft in certain wings IF they base it solely on utilization hours.   
RM

DG

Quote from: sparks on January 31, 2009, 05:47:38 PM
One more funding issue top add to the pile. The pilot must have a current BFR too. 60-1 doesn't use that precise language but that is what is intended. Getting the BFR also is funded by the pilot needing the training.

A question I occasionally receive concerns the legality of a pilot taking the BFR flight in a CAP aircraft in order to satisfy that CAPF 5 pre-requirement.   Since the pilot is assumed to have a Private or higher license the training ban on private license training wouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

For a pilot to present herself as a Form 5 candidate, she must be qualified and current.

CAP is in the business of checking out qualified and current pilots to fly CAP missions.

CAP is NOT in the business of training a Senior Member to become a qualified and current private pilot.

A check pilot must read CAPR 60-1 carefully and completely.

If there is no provision in 60-1 for specific training or endorsements , then it is not authorized and thereby is not covered by CAP insurance.

Does anyone see where 60-1 provides for a CAP check pilot to provide an FAA Flight Review, required every 2 years by the FAA?

I don't think so.

flynd94

Yes, but most of us CAP check airman are nice enough and, provide that BFR sign off.  The form 5 covers all the items on a BFR.  You will also find quite a few CAP Check Pilots/Instructors who will help you get up to speed to pass a form 5.  I have been doing this for the past 6 years and, no one has told me not.

PS- been a CAP pilot for 7 years and, have yet to get a 5/91 paid for
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Eclipse

Quote from: flynd94 on February 01, 2009, 03:44:58 AMPS- been a CAP pilot for 7 years and, have yet to get a 5/91 paid for

Interesting. Does your state fund them for anyone?

Are you requesting funding and being denied, or just not asking. 

I'm not aware of any of my guys having to pay for their recurrency check rides as long as they are doing them withing the guidelines and deadlines. In some cases extensions are granted for pilots with legit circumstances that push them past their deadlines.

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

^^^^^^^^^

There are more of us out there than you think.........

I have not gotten nor asked for a"free ride" out of CAP!!

I have paid out of pocket and not lined up at the trough like the others prior to me

How's that for "free flyin" for all you others out there that state  some of us pilots are out there for the free flying

There are many of us who still pay whether or not its available and there MANY of us who have a BFR and a Form 5 done in the same year.  How's that for proficiency flying??

It also shows that some of us are still within the guidelines and deadlines.  Although I will be 2 weeks out of my Form 91 I STILL plan to pay out of pocket to show my support to CAP will I still am employed and may have a layoff  in the next 6 months

Think CAP will feel sorry for me, let's say a year from now, IF I am still unemployed?? Probably not.  I 'll give now when I can and then feel proud enough that the only time I got a free flight was either a mission or flying cadets. 

That will be my service to CAP.  I may ask for my free flight one day.....
What was your saying??  Local perception may not be a national reality.  I say kudos to the man who hasn't had CAP pay for his either.   There's some volunteerism in some us ,yet

When the day comes to cash in our chips, maybe CAP and other members MAY recognize that... Reality??  Probably not!!

Eclipse

Quote from: heliodoc on February 01, 2009, 05:48:07 AM
There are many of us who still pay whether or not its available and there MANY of us who have a BFR and a Form 5 done in the same year. 

Why.

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

Why not

Little more logbook time AND  some of the accidents in some WINGS have had CFI's on board for one reason or another...

So again do you see a problem with some of us paying as we go??

Other than asking "why".......  How about realizing that some of us while not being able to attend EVERY CAP function is one way we can give back to the organization and ourselves by keeping the economy rolling as best we can

Any other question other than Why?

Eclipse

Quote from: heliodoc on February 01, 2009, 06:06:34 AM
Why not

Little more logbook time AND  some of the accidents in some WINGS have had CFI's on board for one reason or another...

So again do you see a problem with some of us paying as we go??

Other than asking "why".......  How about realizing that some of us while not being able to attend EVERY CAP function is one way we can give back to the organization and ourselves by keeping the economy rolling as best we can

Any other question other than Why?

Fine, that's great, you don't want the money? Don't request it.  But don't thump your chest about your value as a volunteer, make veiled comments about others feeding at the "trough", or complain down the road if you have personal economic problems.

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

Did I offend you??

I see plenty of people thumping their chests here!!

Plenty of know it alls on this website

I just see plenty of folks in CAP who are at the trough for the free flyin time and those are the one who seem to get called for everything

So Eclipse, I volunteered for the RM and CAP as many have here

The ones that don't squarely agree with you here, seem to get your chapped commentary here >:D >:D

flynd94

Quote from: Eclipse on February 01, 2009, 04:12:46 AM
Quote from: flynd94 on February 01, 2009, 03:44:58 AMPS- been a CAP pilot for 7 years and, have yet to get a 5/91 paid for

Interesting. Does your state fund them for anyone?

Are you requesting funding and being denied, or just not asking. 

I'm not aware of any of my guys having to pay for their recurrency check rides as long as they are doing them withing the guidelines and deadlines. In some cases extensions are granted for pilots with legit circumstances that push them past their deadlines.

CA, TX and, soon to be IL.  They do offer them, I have just never asked.  I have always had a good paying job and, felt that the money should be spent on other.  I guess I will be asking for a free ride in ILWG since I am a furloughed airline pilot   ;D
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Flying Pig

I am late on this one....however, the cost of a Form 5 is NOTHING compared to what a civilian sector bi-annual would cost.  I know that doesnt make it easier to pay sometimes.   I fly a C206 4-5 hours a day, and still have to pay for my Form 5's.   Once the person gets their initial, there are generally ways to get it funded after that on SAREX's.  

I have logged well over 100 hours of "free" or reimbursed flying in CAP alone, and have been sent to the Mountain Course and am in the CD program and got my High Performance Endorsement and have had the chance to listen to the "no S___ there I was....." stories from some outstanding pilots.  Putting down $75 per year for a form 5 isnt to bad.  I have made it a point to abuse the crap out of my CAP CFIs everytime I do one also! ;D

The guys I fly with at work are amazed at the "free" training provided by CAP.  A few of them are still trying to figure out the border patrol missions and think Im part of a militia or something!

Turk

Okay, I can answer my own previous question, which was: "Where is it in the regs?"   ???

Answer - it ain't there. But it IS in CAP-USAF Instruction 10-2701. Poke 10-2701 into the CAP Knowledgebase search engine, and you'll come up with it. It'll be handy in case any of your more parsimonious and litigious) pilots whine, "but where does it say I gotta pay?" 

This will be inserted into the next version of 60-1, removing all doubt.   ;)

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

SJFedor

Yup, there it is. 10-2701, 4.1.1:

4.1.1. SAR/DR training funds can only be used to pay for checkrides for pilots who are eli-gible to fly AFAMs. Reimbursement is not authorized for initial Form 5 checkride. How-ever, some wings may choose to use corporate funds to reimburse.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

es_g0d

Quite ridiculous.  And quite like my Air Force to regulate EVERYTHING.  Fortunately, I'm a prolific user of Air Force Form-1, which handily comes in a many-sheet roll.  If you consult the proper Air Force Instruction, it will tell you where to hang such forms.  Typically, they're within reaching distance of a commode.  I'm glad this particular question was found in black-and-white, however.

Even if you hadn't found it in any publication, the response to your member needs to be this: BE THANKFUL when you have an opportunity to have something reimbursed.  DON'T expect it all to be free.  If the individual cannot bear the financial hardship, then this organization is not right for him/her in a (pilot) aviation capacity.  If someone is only relying on free flying to keep proficient and current, then they're not much of a contributor the the organization and are, instead, a liability.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

RocketPropelled

Quote from: Turk on February 02, 2009, 08:00:57 PMIt'll be handy in case any of your more parsimonious and litigious) pilots whine, "but where does it say I gotta pay?" 
And you could also turn the question on your parsimonious/litigious member:

"Where do the regs say you fly for free?"