Electronic Flight Bag

Started by Checotah, September 05, 2014, 06:17:18 AM

Checotah

I have recently returned to active flying status after a 10 year hiatus and recognize the increasing trend towards EFB devices.  While I still hold to the security and reliability of paper charts and the like, I am interested in exploring options.  I know the iPad is the favored platform, but am interested in the Android venue for several personal reasons.  I do not have a smart phone and do not plan to have one, nor a data plan for same, which leaves me with WIFI version tablets.  As far as I can tell, something like a Samsung tablet coupled with a Garmin GLO might be a workable combination.  I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions along those lines (please no suggestions of the iPad).
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

isuhawkeye

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: Checotah on September 05, 2014, 06:17:18 AM
I have recently returned to active flying status after a 10 year hiatus and recognize the increasing trend towards EFB devices.  While I still hold to the security and reliability of paper charts and the like, I am interested in exploring options.  I know the iPad is the favored platform, but am interested in the Android venue for several personal reasons.  I do not have a smart phone and do not plan to have one, nor a data plan for same, which leaves me with WIFI version tablets.  As far as I can tell, something like a Samsung tablet coupled with a Garmin GLO might be a workable combination.  I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions along those lines (please no suggestions of the iPad).

A Samsung Tablet with the Garmin Glo is a good solution as would be a Dual XGPS GPS Puck with the tablet.  (cost is about the same). 
A very good Android based system is Avare. 

While Foreflight is (in my opinion) the best available they do not have an android version. 
Wing X Pro does offer an Android version but it is a very poor shadow of the IOS version.

Disclamer:  FWIW My primary is Foreflight running on a full size Ipad (wi-fi only) and using a Dual XGPS 150 GPS puck.
Backup is a Samsung tablet with another Dual XGPS150 puck.
backup for the backup is the laptop with skyvector charts and eyeballs outside.

hope my somewhat biased opinion is of some help.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

JeffDG

I know you said no iOS, but Foreflight is fantastic, and from a CAP context, it's the only on I know that can do planning for our search patterns.  You can put in a LKP, and tell it to plot out an expanding square with 1/2 nm spacing, and voila, it's all plotted for you.  Great for pre-flight planning because it calculates time and fuel burn for you.

Cliff_Chambliss

I believe WingX Pro also does the search patterns. 

However, I agree Foreflight is the Leader of the Pack.  The latest version of Foreflight Pro has a Weight & Balance Section (works really well),Spend a bit of time and load up the Weight & Balance features.    Flight Tracking:  Now you can load the search patterns (or flight plan) turn on the flight tracker and when you get back review what was actually flown overlaid on Google Maps, of the Foreflight Charts and maps.  Documents:  Import and store your aircraft checklists, POH, CAP Manuals/Regs, etc in the documents section.
3d Infantry Division

A.Member

Our Wing provides pilots with a Samsung tablet loaded with Garmin Pilot.  It's just a Wi-Fi enabled tablet but has GPS.   

Garmin Pilot is the best Android solution (would be nice if we could get them to include a CAP search pattern function).  As mentioned, Foreflight is not available for Android (and based on our communications with them, they have no plans to release on Android). Reviews of GP:

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2013/08/navigation-app-showdown-round-2/
http://kpilot13.blogspot.com/2013/03/foreflight-vs-garmin-pilot.html

Also, WingX for Android is not the same as WingX on iOS.  They appear to have all but abandoned their Android solution for whatever reason.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Bayareaflyer 44

WingX is a very powerful, and very user friendly platform.

Also CAP friendly in two measures:
1.  Has all the CAP grids, and will generate the different patterns
2.  Gives CAP members a break on the price
http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/member_benefits/aviation_products/wingx/index.cfm

Been using it for two years on my iPad, and no complaints.

From what I have seen, WingX and Foreflight are so similar, it's like they should merge forces.  However, they only way to see if one or the other falls within your personal preferences is to test drive both. So play away.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

Cliff_Chambliss

Avare is a development of a formerly free program that has been around for awhile and now offers many of the same features as Foreflight and WingX but is solely based on Android.

While WingX Pro and Foreflight Pro are great products, both are IOS based products.  Of the "Big 3" (Foreflight, WingX, Garmin) I believe only Garmin has a full Android based version.  Garmin also has a fly before buy plan where you can try it out for 30 days for maybe $1.00. 

And as good as brands F & W may be, if the OP has no desire to go to Apple or the Ipad, we are just burning electrons discussing their greatness. 
3d Infantry Division

Eclipse

^ Is there a Pro version?  I only see the free version on the Play Store and referenced on their web page.

http://apps4av.com/avare-overview/

"That Others May Zoom"

Bayareaflyer 44

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on September 05, 2014, 03:54:44 PM

And as good as brands F & W may be, if the OP has no desire to go to Apple or the Ipad, we are just burning electrons discussing their greatness.

Not trying to sell the product, but, WingX does support Android.  From the WingX website:

WingX for Android - with Geo-Ref Charts
Get it from the Android Market, or point your Android's Browser to "mobile.hiltonsoftware.com"

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

A.Member

Quote from: Bayareaflyer 44 on September 05, 2014, 04:52:58 PM
Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on September 05, 2014, 03:54:44 PM

Not trying to sell the product, but, WingX does support Android.  From the WingX website:

WingX for Android - with Geo-Ref Charts
Get it from the Android Market, or point your Android's Browser to "mobile.hiltonsoftware.com"
Not really.  The product is still available but is vastly different from the iOS version to the point that it appears they've abandonded it.  Last update was May 2011.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

vento

The OP said no iOS and I respect his own choice. However, it would be wise to take into consideration what the Wing is planning on doing. In CAWG for example, we are testing iPad to interface with satellite texting devices as a means of communication when radio coverage is not very good.

Also in CAWG, very often we are encouraged to use CAPFlight Pro for planning, Form 104, W&B, etc because it is convenient and it can transmit all the forms and data with a single click. Even if the OP doesn't want to buy an iPad, it doesn't hurt to learn to use the tool, it may become the standard (like the GX55 was the standard GPS) regardless of our personal preferences.

A.Member

Quote from: vento on September 05, 2014, 05:10:17 PM
The OP said no iOS and I respect his own choice. However, it would be wise to take into consideration what the Wing is planning on doing. In CAWG for example, we are testing iPad to interface with satellite texting devices as a means of communication when radio coverage is not very good.

Also in CAWG, very often we are encouraged to use CAPFlight Pro for planning, Form 104, W&B, etc because it is convenient and it can transmit all the forms and data with a single click. Even if the OP doesn't want to buy an iPad, it doesn't hurt to learn to use the tool, it may become the standard (like the GX55 was the standard GPS) regardless of our personal preferences.
Off topic but the Wing should also not be looking at device specific solutions.  To the best extent possible, solutions should be device agnostic.  Of course, such an approach would require a technology strategy....but I digress.

vento

Quote from: A.Member on September 05, 2014, 05:14:06 PM

Off topic but the Wing should also not be looking at device specific solutions.  To the best extent possible, solutions should be device agnostic.  Of course, such an approach would require a technology strategy....but I digress.

Very true, and I totally agree with your point of view. What the Wing is doing is above my pay scale anyway. But somehow I have the feeling that at present time the iOS camp offers more options to what CAWG needs for the missions it is trying to accomplish. In an earlier reply another member mentioned that his Wing was issuing Android tablets...

Personally I think as long as it is standardized within the Wing and it is issued as part of the mission kit, then I am okay with it. Think Cameras for example, I prefer Canon but CAWG only issues Nikon. Fine with me as long as I don't have to buy a camera or an iPad on my own for the mission. Now if I want to buy a tablet for my own use, I would probably take into consideration what the Wing is using so that I don't have to learn everything twice. YMMV.

Eclipse

Unless CAWG is buying the devices, any development should be standards-based and platform agnostic.

If you want to pay 2-3xs what you need to for a DRM-laden device that lacks features, so be it, but
CAP should be an advocate for either platform.

The same argument should be made in reverse, meaning any online systems should be browser and platform agnostic,
especially these days, someone telling you to "use IE" or "doesn't work right on a MAC" is being lazy or has an agenda.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: vento on September 05, 2014, 05:22:31 PM
Quote from: A.Member on September 05, 2014, 05:14:06 PM

Very true, and I totally agree with your point of view. What the Wing is doing is above my pay scale anyway. But somehow I have the feeling that at present time the iOS camp offers more options to what CAWG needs for the missions it is trying to accomplish. In an earlier reply another member mentioned that his Wing was issuing Android tablets...

Personally I think as long as it is standardized within the Wing and it is issued as part of the mission kit, then I am okay with it. Think Cameras for example, I prefer Canon but CAWG only issues Nikon. Fine with me as long as I don't have to buy a camera or an iPad on my own for the mission. Now if I want to buy a tablet for my own use, I would probably take into consideration what the Wing is using so that I don't have to learn everything twice. YMMV.
Agreed.  My Wing is the one that issued the Android tablets (Android was selected due to cost - half the price of Apple, thus allowing all aircraft and squadrons to be assigned one).  There will alwasys be some things we can't get around.  However, applications, etc. should be accessible regardless the device that is used.  For ex. you may use a Nikon to take photos and I may use a Canon.  That is irrelevant so long as they both write to a microSD card and can be read by any computer it interacts with.  There needs to be careful foresight and thought but into solutions so that only proven, accepted technologies that are readily available are moved forward.

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2014, 05:30:56 PM

Unless CAWG is buying the devices, any development should be standards-based and platform agnostic.

If you want to pay 2-3xs what you need to for a DRM-laden device that lacks features, so be it, but
CAP should be an advocate for either platform.

The same argument should be made in reverse, meaning any online systems should be browser and platform agnostic,
especially these days, someone telling you to "use IE" or "doesn't work right on a MAC" is being lazy or has an agenda.
Concur.  That should be the general rule.

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2014, 04:21:41 PM
^ Is there a Pro version?  I only see the free version on the Play Store and referenced on their web page.

http://apps4av.com/avare-overview/

Avare is free at the moment.  There may be a pay to play version in the future but not yet. 
If you get it be sure to get the ad dons as well.
3d Infantry Division

scooter

If you are going to buy one of these, recommend you consider size. I have flown with guys using IPads and Androids. Size matters. I have observed the 10" are almost too big for our small cockpits. Those that have the 7 or 8" tablets spend less time chasing it around the cockpit. The small ones will fit on a knee board and you can get mounts for yoke, etc. Something to consider before purchase.

Cliff_Chambliss

As an active CFII I will state a concern for the mounting of tablets.   If the PIC wants to use a yoke mount fine, no problem at all.  But if the Observer wants to use a yoke mount then talk to the pilot first.  The weight of the unit does affect the perceived handling of the airplane. 

A bit more bulky than a yoke mount is a floor mount that attaches to the seat rail.  This will allow the tablet to be placed against the side wall, the center, low or high, in other words very adaptable but again bulky.

I use a full size iPad on almost every flight and run Foreflight and flight tracking but never attach to the yoke when a student is flying.
3d Infantry Division