CAP to get Air Force Academy Gliders

Started by Spaceman3750, February 24, 2012, 10:01:30 PM

Rogovin

Called it.  I knew as soon as the USAFA announced their retirement that they would give 'em to the only other outfit that actually uses them.  CAP.  Win.

-Rogovin

a2capt

I wonder of they'll justify blowing loot on repainting..
Really, the stickers are fine by themselves.

coudano

those are a sweet ride too, if you've never flow in one

NCRblues

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Thrashed

It said they would replace old CAP gliders, I assume they will distributed to those with old gliders.

Save the triangle thingy

SarDragon

CAP currently has three flavors of gliders. The newest ones are the Blaniks. I'm guessing the older Schweizers and Schleichers will get replaced by these newer Blaniks.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Or they could keep the old gliders and use these new ones to increase our fleet.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Woodsy

+1.   

Or, distribute them to the wings that are doing the most glider sorties annually?? 

My wing has flown about 250+ glider sorties so far this year, with a whole bunch still on the waiting list... Another airframe would sure make life easier!

Thrashed

Yea, give them to the wings that already have gliders.  ::)
Do you know why the wings with gliders fly gliders more than the wings without gliders?  ;)

Save the triangle thingy

Woodsy

Quote from: Thrashed on February 25, 2012, 03:18:03 PM
Yea, give them to the wings that already have gliders.  ::)
Do you know why the wings with gliders fly gliders more than the wings without gliders?  ;)

"Almost" every wing has a glider.

Many of them sit there and collect dust all year except for 1 or 2 weekends.  I don't see how 30 sorties a year could be justification for giving them a new glider when a 600+ sortie a year operation has a waiting list.  Send them where they'll be used. 

titanII

On the subject of gliders, does CAP use them for anything besides O-Flights, Glider Academy- type stuff? i.e. does CAP use them for ES?
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2012, 07:49:16 PM
Gliders are not used for ES.
That's what I thought, I was just curious. Thank you for the answer, Sir!

coudano

I thought they consolidated the gliders into "centers of excellence" which were (roughly) regional?

Eagle

Sweet. I hope we don't replace the older gliders. Waste of resources.
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eagle on February 26, 2012, 02:51:47 AM
Sweet. I hope we don't replace the older gliders. Waste of resources.
Article says they are replacing old ones.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

coudano

PHall

coudano

Quote from: PHall on February 26, 2012, 04:50:48 AM
Quote from: coudano on February 26, 2012, 04:35:33 AM
Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 26, 2012, 04:19:03 AM
PLEASE oh PLEASE replace the 2-33s!

hey the 233 is a nice little outfit

Until you compare it with a Blanik!

I've flown 2-22, 2-33, L13, L23, and twin astir as trainers
Apart from the grob, the 2-33 that I flew in was probably second best condition of all of them, and flew "just fine"  They all have their own plus and minus and handling oddities.

As I recall, I preferred the 2-33 trim setup, and its locking brakes that many other trainers don't have.

PHall

All metal (the Blanik) vs fabric (the 2-33) is much perferred maintenance-wise.

Flying Pig

Sad to see the AF doing away with the program.  No better way to learn real stick and rudder skills than in a glider.  but I guess they dont have glass cockpits and auto pilots.  Well, OK, is the Air Force just getting rid of these or dumping their glider program all together?

a2capt

It really reads like they're getting rid of these airframes only. Nothing outright says the glider program is going away outright.

titanII

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 26, 2012, 05:19:50 PM
is the Air Force just getting rid of these or dumping their glider program all together?
Well I would hope not, because like you said, Sir:
Quote from: Flying Pig on February 26, 2012, 05:19:50 PMNo better way to learn real stick and rudder skills than in a glider

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

titanII

Huey Driver

Slight bump, but NJWG is taking delivery of two USAFA gliders within the next month, along with a 2-33 to replace the one wrecked in Sandy. Are any other wings currently taking deliveries?

SARDOC

With all of these Gliders that are coming out there...My real question is do these Wings all have a Tow Plane.  We had two gliders in storage for a while until we traded a few airplanes to get one that is Tow Capable...even then this Tow Plane isn't the most reliable maintenance wise. 

rframe

What does CAP use as tow planes?  Just adding hooks to 182's, or do they have some Pawnees around for this type of work?  I have to imagine having a sailplane has got to be a huge asset to cadet programs, as many cadets probably still cannot afford to take advantage of CAP-based flight training, but gliding may be quite affordable.

SARDOC

Yeah, we've been using a 182 with a Tow Package...There was some talk of a 172 but that just frightened me a little.  I'm not sure the 172 could handle the extra load.

Eclipse

Quote from: rframe on December 07, 2012, 03:42:06 PM
What does CAP use as tow planes?  Just adding hooks to 182's, or do they have some Pawnees around for this type of work?

For the most part it is 172's and 182's from the fleet that have tow hooks.  Some wings had Maules, but I think for the most
part those have been retired from the fleet.  The emphasis is on aircraft utilization, and having aircraft which are only
useful as tow planes doesn't make sense in the areas of the country where gliders are put away for the winter.  Many of the Maules
were dusty and unused.

Quote from: rframe on December 07, 2012, 03:42:06 PM
I have to imagine having a sailplane has got to be a huge asset to cadet programs, as many cadets probably still cannot afford to take advantage of CAP-based flight training, but gliding may be quite affordable.

The cadet program provides 5 funded powered and 5 funded glider flights to each cadet (at a minimum), assuming the cadet is interested in taking advantage of the opportunity.  Flight instruction can be provided locally as pilots and planes allow, and we have a  number of flight academies
that provide instruction as well.

The reality, though, is that for whatever reason, many of our cadets are simply not interested in flying, and the logistics of glider operations
usually limits the opportunities to small geographical areas within a wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

FastAttack

my honest opinion.

CAP should completely get out of the glider business and use commercial/ SSA clubs instead.

some of the many reasons:

1) CAP doesn't have to worry about MX on gliders , or try to find a mechanic that can work on these platforms.
2) Added wear and tear on the tow plane , seems to me that National has not ran a study on the added costs associated with towing ( early TBO's , etc)
3) No need for 2 pilots + ground members to run the operation. All you need is 1 pilot and 1 senior on the ground supervising ground operations.
4) CAP Tow pilots are not "Pros" even if you get a seasoned pilot , and trained them , the likeliness of them towing every weekend is remote. Therefore they might not be the best tow pilots even after training.
5) No real MX support. So far I've taken snapshots of the maintenance program at the national level , and I've noticed 1 thing.. The budget for MX for the gliders are non existent
6) Your limited to a very small fleet of gliders. In some states such as Cali , Texas , Florida you'd be lucky to have a CAP glider/tow plane within 200 miles!
7) Glider program support at the National level , is not up to par to the power side. I am not saying they are doing a bad job , but lets be honest. The powered side ( CAP forte of course ) is light years ahead in support / programs / regulations / training vs the glider program.
8) Who is going to pay for the tow pilot training.. regs say 2 tow pilots per year... is that even enough???? . I can tell you from experience with 1 tow plane you at least need 6-8 pilots that are trained to ensure mission success. ( I won't go into how I got that figure)

its great that the AF academy is giving CAP gliders, but without a solid program in place i highly doubt these assets will be used to their potential until something drastically changes as National.

SarDragon

Until a couple of our gliders got pranged (no, I don't know the circumstances), we had a very active glider program in southern California. I think we even had a winch launch capability at one time.

I don't know what the current status is.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

The Glider Program in SoCal is humming along quite nicely thank you.
Two gliders at the moment with one of the Academy gliders expected in the near future.
A brand new winch and a C-182 tow plane.
They fly almost every Sunday out at Los Alimitos.

Huey Driver

Oh, and along with our 3 new gliders to the Wing, we're also getting a winch launch delivered soon:)

Here's 42S if you havne't seen it:

Note the tie-downs and stakes still sited to the wings.

vento

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 09, 2012, 05:18:49 AM
Oh, and along with our 3 new gliders to the Wing, we're also getting a winch launch delivered soon:)

Here's 42S if you havne't seen it:

Note the tie-downs and stakes still sited to the wings.

What happened? Tornado?

SarDragon

New Jersey is not a hotbed of tornado activity. It is, however, located in an area that has been significantly affected by hurricanes. If you haven't been keeping track of the news in the past couple of months, Hurricane Sandy tore up the entire east coast, from Florida to Maine during the last week of October.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

It's not like Hurricane Sandy snuck up on them. So why did they leave the gliders out in the open?
At a minimum they could have disassembled it and stored it in it's trailer in a more secure area.
Even if you didn't have a trailer, disassembling and storing it inside a solid building would have prevented that damage.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on December 09, 2012, 04:13:04 PM
It's not like Hurricane Sandy snuck up on them. So why did they leave the gliders out in the open?
At a minimum they could have disassembled it and stored it in it's trailer in a more secure area.
Even if you didn't have a trailer, disassembling and storing it inside a solid building would have prevented that damage.

I don't know that the 2-33s have trailers.

Ours got flooded out a number of years ago when someone neglected to remember that the aircraft parking area was really low lying and it rained pretty badly for a day or two.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Brad

We had a Maule that would tow our gliders but then it ended up on its roof after a botched grassy runway landing.

Our glider is still listed as FMC though, an L-23, and we do have glider training now and then, so I'm guessing we're using the Cessnas to get it up there.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN