Does CAP use flight helmets anywhere at all?

Started by RVT, April 01, 2011, 11:00:18 PM

RVT

I'm about ready to sell mine, but before I do I thought I would ask.  I have never seen it done, or even a picture of anyone in CAP wearing a flight helmet, but thats not proof it never happens.

coudano

i've seen one used as a dunce hat before...

researchdoc

They used to wear them when we got the old AF Trainers...
We have one at NCWG.. it is blue with a red stripe front to back and the CAP seal on both sides... really looks nice...
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

RVT

Quote from: researchdoc on April 02, 2011, 01:16:15 AM
We have one at NCWG.. it is blue with a red stripe front to back and the CAP seal on both sides... really looks nice...

This one is a 90's era US Army helicopter helmet.  I was debating getting this:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1251

To use it in our 206 but someone told me the impedance would not be correct.

Hawk200

Quote from: RVT on April 02, 2011, 01:23:42 AM
Quote from: researchdoc on April 02, 2011, 01:16:15 AM

This one is a 90's era US Army helicopter helmet.  I was debating getting this:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1251

To use it in our 206 but someone told me the impedance would not be correct.
You could try one of these: http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Communication+Converters/id/18/cat_id/55/prod_id/160/

Alternately, you could change out the commo bits to civil aviation impedance parts. Not hard to do if you pay attention.

RiverAux

I've heard that a certain recent very very high-ranking CAP member used to wear a flight helmet in 172s and 182s....

RVT

Quote from: RiverAux on April 03, 2011, 08:34:16 PMI've heard that a certain recent very very high-ranking CAP member used to wear a flight helmet in 172s and 182s....

What actually made me dig the thing out of storage was the thread on fire injuries.  I see no point in wearing a nomex flight suit if my hands and head are going to get burned.  Plus how often do you have to deal with fire in a Cessna that DIDN'T crash?

Wearing the flight suit make sense if I also wear the gloves and the helmet.  I'm not going to go out and paint MAVERICK on the front of it.

Actually since the converter costs $134 I doubt I will be wearing it anytime soon anyway.

PilotBillFromTexas

I don't wear a helmet but, I don't think that it would be a bad idea because we spend so much time 1,000 AGL where there are a lot of birds.  I'm thinking that a helmet or some kind of face protection might not be a bad idea if you're going to be down there for a long period of time.

Last summer I flew some missions that lasted all day long at 1000 agl.  (2 x 3.5 hours)  I saw a lot of birds at and above my altitude.   If I lose the front window then I'd like to have something in front of my face besides some swear words.

RVT

Quote from: PilotBillFromTexas on April 04, 2011, 04:15:02 AMLast summer I flew some missions that lasted all day long at 1000 agl.  (2 x 3.5 hours)  I saw a lot of birds at and above my altitude.   If I lose the front window then I'd like to have something in front of my face besides some swear words.

I don't think our airplanes fly fast enough for a bird to make it through the windshield.  At least whatever small parts of it make it through the prop.

FW

CAP does not use or require flight helmets for use while flying CAP missions.  However, if you would like to wear one, enjoy; especially when the outside temps get over 80.  Other members will probably stare at you and wonder though...

Major Carrales

Quote from: FW on April 04, 2011, 02:45:12 PM
CAP does not use or require flight helmets for use while flying CAP missions.  However, if you would like to wear one, enjoy; especially when the outside temps get over 80.  Other members will probably stare at you and wonder though...

I don't know, if you like the helmet as an aviator (as in it work for you) I think that is a pilot preference, however, a helmet in a 172 might generate ridicule...as much as a GT member in full ALICE gear.  Yes, it's useful...but it might be considered overkill...just one man's opinion.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RVT

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2011, 03:08:11 PM
I don't know, if you like the helmet as an aviator (as in it work for you) I think that is a pilot preference, however, a helmet in a 172 might generate ridicule...as much as a GT member in full ALICE gear.  Yes, it's useful...but it might be considered overkill...just one man's opinion.

Agreed & agreed.  I would not go out and buy a $1000 helmet for CAP.  However, I already HAVE one.

Group 1 has five 182T's and two 206 btw.

Al Sayre

I've got a couple from my time on AD, but I wouldn't wear one in CAP unless it were a requirement.  We humans give off the most heat from our heads and putting anything on that keeps it in is generally not a great idea if the temp is > ~60deg F.  I wouldn't even want to contemplate flying a 3.5 hr CD sortie when it's 95 deg at 1000 Ft with a brain bucket.  I think the likelyhood of heatstroke between that and the nomex would be several orders of magnitude higher than the likelyhood of a fire or birdstrike.  JMHO
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Might?

"That Others May Zoom"

blackrain

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 04, 2011, 04:04:31 PM
I've got a couple from my time on AD, but I wouldn't wear one in CAP unless it were a requirement.  We humans give off the most heat from our heads and putting anything on that keeps it in is generally not a great idea if the temp is > ~60deg F.  I wouldn't even want to contemplate flying a 3.5 hr CD sortie when it's 95 deg at 1000 Ft with a brain bucket.  I think the likelyhood of heatstroke between that and the nomex would be several orders of magnitude higher than the likelyhood of a fire or birdstrike.  JMHO

Unfortunately, especially after looking at some CAP members at the last SAREX, being overweight and out of shape is the biggest threat to their well being. Heat tolerance is a lot less as well.

I have hit a small bird (lark size) in a 172 a few years  ago right after rotation. Right through the prop and made a mess on the windshield. I also remember passing more than a few Red Tailed Hawks at 1000 AGL in the summer and thinking those could cause more of a problem depending where they hit. Ducks and Geese add a whole new dimension depending on the season and amount of standing water in the area.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

PilotBillFromTexas

All good points. I wonder if just wearing safety sunglasses might be the best protection in the case of a bird strike.  It would give some protection of the face and eyes but not make your brain boil.

PilotBillFromTexas

I did a little research on the whole bird strike topic just to see if there was any hard data on it to see if it is a rational fear or not.

The FAA has a searchable online database on wildlife strikes.  Pretty cool!  Who knew?

http://wildlife-mitigation.tc.faa.gov/wildlife/database.aspx

It looks like there was only one case of a bird strike in a C-182 in Texas in 2010.  It was a "Gadwall" which is a duck and caused only minor damage.

In previous years it looks like most of the more serious damage came from hitting deer and cows.  None of them at 1000 AGL. 

SarDragon

There's a guy in SoCal who wears one, and the chatting behind his back is amusing to listen to. He has other issues, too, that also generate chit chat.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: RVT on April 04, 2011, 03:54:46 PM

Agreed & agreed.  I would not go out and buy a $1000 helmet for CAP.  However, I already HAVE one.

Group 1 has five 182T's and two 206 btw.

Group 1 where?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777