G1000 Approach with backup flight instruments

Started by blackrain, December 20, 2010, 05:43:21 PM

simon

Yes, as soon as I wrote that both panels going down was highly unlikely, it happened in a CAP plane. :-(

We're all waiting to hear the cause, if it can be found, because "the screens did return to normal within 15 to 20 seconds". As for what "normal" meant, I don't know. Was it the system rebooted or the system resumed the approach? Big difference in time. I'd venture to say few pilots would continue an approach in IMC if that happened.

I am actually trying to think how both screens could actually go blank, short of hitting the master and standby battery.

PHall

Well, I know what my actions would be if I lost both panels while on an approach in IMC.
Declare a missed approach and request vectors to holding to sort things out.

bosshawk

Don;'t be too sure that the aircraft was in VFR conditions.  The Central Valley of CA, which includes SAC, has been in severe fog conditions for about the last two weeks.  I, fortunately, live at 2500 ft in the foothills and we have been in sunshine, except for the past two days. Driving to the local airport, I can see the fog layer hanging in the hills.  It would upset me no end to lose both screens while on an ILS in actual conditions. On the other hand, I don't fly glass cockpit airplanes.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

blackrain

I love technology. As long as it keeps working.

At least it came back online but even 20 seconds at a critical point in an approach could have gone bad.

Any more word on a cause?
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Smoke

This is a question that I have wrestled with for many years.  I have about 650 hours with about 150 hours in G-1000 (several models).  First, steam gauges fail in "hundreds of hours" yet the soldid atate fails in "thousands of hours".  Still there is always the chance.

OK..I think several were close to the "ultimate scenario" but just missed it.  Full electrical failure can happen without battery back-up depending where the short is.  Someone mentioned hand helds.  On the right track, but a full ILS on them?  Sounds pretty gutsy to me given their accuracy and write-ups not to mention your're NORDO and your heart is pumping like a humming bird.  Even so, don't the models just provide localizer and not glideslope?  So, I have to go with Simon with Vectors and get the hell out of IMC.  One point though (I'm a previous controller too), where are you Simon for me to give you a vector?  Mode C is down and "Ident" is not going to help you now.  A hand it more sensitive for picking up VORs ...

Smoke

VOR more sensitive and you can do the old fashion intersecting radials.  You can even navigate off a radial.  Still the best IMO is to find out where you are and let ATC get you to safety.  They don't mind at all and will share the "rush".  The voice capability is obvious for its tremendous worth.  I'm even credited with a find on an F-15E at a airshow with eprbs going off (side note).

I have my backup nav-comm, but my proficiency level?!  No, I say to many get out of IMC instead of shooting a difficult approach to begin with unproven equipment and low pilot proficiency.

Smoke, Capt, CAP
MP,MO,MS, GT2, etc

peter rabbit

Quotesome one mentioned hand helds.  On the right track, but a full ILS on them?  Sounds pretty gutsy to me given their accuracy and write-ups not to mention you're NORDO and your heart is pumping like a humming bird.  Even so, don't the models just provide localizer and not glideslope?

Sporty's has a handheld transceiver with full localizer and glidescope. Do I have one or have I used it? No. Would I want to use it in IMC? No - but if the G1000 went completely blank with no COM/NAV, I'd want one because ATC doesn't have radar coverage of our airport for approaches. I do carry an older sporty's model that has COM and VOR, but have never had to use in the plane except to get clearances, etc before starting up.

QuoteI have my backup nav-comm, but my proficiency level?!  No, I say to many get out of IMC instead of shooting a difficult approach to begin with unproven equipment and low pilot proficiency.

Totally agree.