Non-pilot Guardsman lands CAP plane

Started by Captain Morgan, August 05, 2010, 04:27:57 PM

Captain Morgan

A little too much excitement in KY yesterday.  Everyone is fine!  :clap:

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/99997954.html

EDIT - I thought I would add this news story at the top of the thread.  It has more detail.

http://thetimestribune.com/homepage/x1936221356/Emergency-at-the-airport
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

AirAux

Where did the information that the person landing the plane was a guardsman come from??  I would expect he was a CAP member, no?  Was he an ex-pilot?  Said he hadn't landed a plane in 15 years.  Was he an ex-student pilot?  What kind of mission where they on?  Story is kind of incomplete, but probably written more for sensationalism than fact.. 

Майор Хаткевич

The video mentions the National Guard Service. Army Sergeant.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: AirAux on August 05, 2010, 04:37:57 PM
Where did the information that the person landing the plane was a guardsman come from??  I would expect he was a CAP member, no?  Was he an ex-pilot?  Said he hadn't landed a plane in 15 years.  Was he an ex-student pilot?  What kind of mission where they on?  Story is kind of incomplete, but probably written more for sensationalism than fact..

The fact that he was a Guardsman was in the news story and the video.  Also, I personally know him and the CAP pilot.
Sgt. Hehl is not a CAP member.
He had a few flying lessons over 15 years ago, so he is an ex-student pilot.
The kind of mission was not disclosed because of OPSEC.
The story is both factual and sensational!
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
Lexington, KY

BradM

I think it would be a good idea for all Observers to take enough flying lessons so they could land a plane if the pilot was unconscious for whatever reason.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

cap235629

here we go.....Only pilots should be on an aircrew blah blah blah
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

BradM

Quote from: cap235629 on August 05, 2010, 05:49:48 PM
here we go.....Only pilots should be on an aircrew blah blah blah

I didnt say that. And, I didnt say it was a requirement only a good idea.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

ZigZag911

General aviation offers a "Pinch Hitter" course precisely to teach non-pilots who frequently fly sufficient training to deal with sudden pilot disability...some wings have offered the course occasionally.

wuzafuzz

I would take the Pinch Hitter course without hesitation if it were offered here.  Although I am only a scanner, I've found myself in the right seat plenty of times.  That's not a nod to requiring pilots in both front seats, just "insurance" for events like the one described. 

Glad to hear everything turned out OK!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

AirAux

Captain Morgan, are we reading the same news story?  I have read it several times and fail to see one mention that the gentleman was a Guardsman.  Also, I was at work and can't see the videos, so if it mentions it in there then good.  However, I think you may be reading between the lines unless you have a different post than I do. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on August 05, 2010, 06:25:17 PM
Captain Morgan, are we reading the same news story?  I have read it several times and fail to see one mention that the gentleman was a Guardsman.  Also, I was at work and can't see the videos, so if it mentions it in there then good.  However, I think you may be reading between the lines unless you have a different post than I do. 

The video attached has an interview with the man in his USA Uniform.

AirAux

And exactly how does that explain Captain Morgan's allegations of seeing it in the news story??

Smokey

I certainly hope and pray our fellow CAP pilot is OK and it was nothing serious.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

SJFedor

Quote from: AirAux on August 05, 2010, 06:37:15 PM
And exactly how does that explain Captain Morgan's allegations of seeing it in the news story??

I'm guessing, since he lives in the city where the news story was broadcast, they probably made a mention of it on the air.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Captain Morgan

In the alleged video, he was wearing an alleged Guard uniform.  Although it was not mentioned in this news story, it was allegedly mentioned in other alleged news stories that Sgt. Hehl was a member of the Guard.  I am also the alleged Wing Government Relations Officer and I allegedly have personal knowledge of the alleged Sgt. Hehl, his alleged association with the Guard, and this alleged incident in general.  Of course, all of this is subject to confirmation.
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
Lexington, KY

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Smokey on August 05, 2010, 06:43:30 PM
I certainly hope and pray our fellow CAP pilot is OK and it was nothing serious.

The pilot was checked out at the hospital and released and is fine.  He was temporarily incapacitated during the flight.  Since the exact medical condition has not been made public, I do not want to be the one to release it, but I can say all is well.
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
Lexington, KY

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Captain Morgan on August 05, 2010, 07:38:35 PM

In the alleged video, he was wearing an alleged Guard uniform.  Although it was not mentioned in this news story, it was allegedly mentioned in other alleged news stories that Sgt. Hehl was a member of the Guard.  I am also the alleged Wing Government Relations Officer and I allegedly have personel knowledge of the alleged Sgt. Hehl, his alleged association with the Guard, and this alleged incident in general.  Of course, all of this is subject to confirmation.

Captain Morgan

Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
Lexington, KY

Captain Morgan

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 05, 2010, 06:23:02 PM
I would take the Pinch Hitter course without hesitation if it were offered here.  Although I am only a scanner, I've found myself in the right seat plenty of times.  That's not a nod to requiring pilots in both front seats, just "insurance" for events like the one described. 

Glad to hear everything turned out OK!

Any CFI can give you a pinch hitter course.  Check with your local flight school.
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
Lexington, KY

SJFedor

Quote from: Captain Morgan on August 05, 2010, 08:37:53 PM
More press:

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/05/1378044/ky-guardsman-takes-controls-when.html

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/08/ap_guard_fly_080510/

Here is the one with most of the details (so much for OPSEC ...):

http://thetimestribune.com/homepage/x1936221356/Emergency-at-the-airport

I see Air Methods KY in that picture from the times tribune, did they fly him out, or were they just there to help? I know they have that EC-130 based there.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)