Armstrong Aerospace Mentor

Started by Cleaver, November 18, 2009, 08:28:46 PM

Cleaver

I would like to know what squadrons have their cadets do to cover the Aerospace mentor requirement for the the Armstrong Achievement.  The regs are vague. 

notaNCO forever

Have the cadet going for the award help a cadet pass an AE test they are struggling with. Sometimes all it takes is to tell them to actually study and other times it requires sitting with them and covering the material word by word.

Pingree1492

There is no Aerospace Requirement for the Armstrong Achievement.

The mentor requirement comes into play with Cadet Officers, and the specific requirement to mentor in aerospace was taken away with the last reg revision in '06.

The current requirement for Phase III cadets is this:
QuoteDuring every achievement in Phase III, cadets must serve as mentors, helping junior cadets advance in their leadership, aerospace education, or physical fitness.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

sjtrupp

You can go to the Cadet Programs "Stripes to Diamonds" webpage for more information on the requirements for each cadet achievement. Simply click on the grade that you are interested in.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Pingree1492 on November 18, 2009, 10:08:03 PM

The mentor requirement comes into play with Cadet Officers, and the specific requirement to mentor in aerospace was taken away with the last reg revision in '06.

QuoteDuring every achievement in Phase III, cadets must serve as mentors, helping junior cadets advance in their leadership, aerospace education, or physical fitness.

There USED to be a mentoring requirement for achievement 8

SarDragon

And there USED to be a Cadet Warrant Officer grade, too. But there isn't any more, so move on.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Meh, it was around in August of 2005 when I did it. :P

Pingree1492

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 19, 2009, 04:29:38 AM
Quote from: Pingree1492 on November 18, 2009, 10:08:03 PM

There USED to be a mentoring requirement for achievement 8

Which is why we read and conduct business off our current regs.  Too many myths, legends, heresay, and other rumors propagate off of people (seniors and cadets) passing off old knowledge, or local procedures as gospel.  If you're not sure of an answer, don't spout off what it used to be, or what you think it is.  Look it up!

Before replying to that post, I actually opened the current R52-16 and read the appropriate sections.  Any cadet NCO, officer or senior cadet leader should be able to do the same.  ANYTIME you're teaching a class or mentoring a cadet, you should either have the appropriate material in front of you, or have reviewed it thoroughly ahead of time.  It didn't matter how many time I had taught the same class beforehand, I did this before every class even as a Spaatz cadet.  One of the simple truths is- that's one of the reasons WHY I was a Spaatz cadet.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Майор Хаткевич

Actually, before saying there USED to be one, I did crack open (well, not really, it was online as a .pdf) CAPR 52-16 and took a peek.

Sometime between me going inactive last August and now (maybe the change that took place in Jun 09!?), it was removed as a requirement.

I didn't disagree with anything, just stated that it was there, and other posts backed up the fact that it is no longer a requirement.