All Stop on High Adventure Activities

Started by Eclipse, February 03, 2011, 08:36:41 PM

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2011_02_03_High_Adventure_Activitie_EC5529EC6670C.pdf

"Effective immediately and through 31 March 2011, all units will refrain from conducting
firearm, paintball, simunition and High Adventure Activities (HAA) as defined in CAPR 52-16,
paragraphs 2-10 and 2-11 (1 February 2011 edition).  HAAs include rappelling, obstacle courses,
low-ropes courses, water survival courses and similar endeavors. "

I would be willing to bet that any number of units saw the sliver of daylight on the word "paintball" and completely missed the
requirement that it be approved by the Wing CC (if not also Group CC).

"That Others May Zoom"

MICT1362

I so badly want to put a large rant on this, but I will make it short and sweet.

DUMB!

-Paramedic

Flying Pig

But it doesnt say anything about poker parties! :clap:

PA Guy

I think it may be premature to become too upset over this.  The ICL covers a relatively short period of time and has a defined expiration date.  It may be just a chance to fine tune some language, I don't think we will see any major changes in the overall intent of the of the reg.

Eclipse

It would be interesting to know why any concerns weren't addressed during the comment period.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Why do I get the feeling that the draft period was for naught in this case?

I can just imagine it now.. "It says WHAT?!??!"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: PA Guy on February 03, 2011, 09:37:00 PM
I think it may be premature to become too upset over this.  The ICL covers a relatively short period of time and has a defined expiration date.  It may be just a chance to fine tune some language, I don't think we will see any major changes in the overall intent of the of the reg.

I agree. I think this will mainly be a short time so that they can re-define something that got brought up after the draft period was over. I don't think this will bring about any major changes, let alone nixing the entire idea of HAAs.

Major Lord

Does this include activities conducted under BSA auspices for dual chartered units? Which units were doing simunition? Really?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

I sent a note to Mr. LaFond on whether this affects SAMT - the stop only goes to the end of March, but depending on what comes
from there, that is too close to Spring Encampment for my comfort.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

Tony Upton ( May he live forever in the Halls of Valhalla) arranged for two of us CAWG members who are climbers to go through the "factory" train-the-trainer course for the Ropes course on Camp SLO ( some other bases use the same vendor) so we can train and bless rappelling and ropes course instructors. Seven days of special torture with the Army  National Guard, and after a couple of years, we have conducted zero courses... I can certify you , but no one will use you.... CAWG has not the testicular fortitude for such things I am afraid. I am not sure, but I think that the rifle range ( M-16 familiarization) has not happened at Encampment  in some time either. Pretty low adventure....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NCRblues

I really hope this does not turn out to bring more safety requirements.... i think we have enough of that already.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RiverAux

As one of the reasons we have ICLs is to address immediate safety concerns, I would tend to be somewhat more pessimistic about this being only a temporary halt to these activities. 

Daniel

It says 'Units ' is it still possible to do these activities at wing activities (ie encampments)?
where there is

A) Approval from the wing CC
B) Highly certified instructors

Edit: Oh wait, this is happening now so that 'It will have minimal effect' on summer activities
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on February 04, 2011, 01:54:03 AMEdit: Oh wait, this is happening now so that 'It will have minimal effect' on summer activities

Not all encampments and firearms training happens in the summer...

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

maybe they can revamp the firearms training language to include instructors from CMP and 4H.  They also need to update it to the new NRA qualification program. In fact I may send an email to that effect......

As far as dual chartered units, I don't see this as affecting that as the BSA charter is separate and outside of CAP control.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

FlyTiger77

Quote from: RiverAux on February 04, 2011, 12:56:51 AM
As one of the reasons we have ICLs is to address immediate safety concerns, I would tend to be somewhat more pessimistic about this being only a temporary halt to these activities.

I would think that "immediate" safety concerns could have been resolved while drafting a regulation that just hit the streets on the day before yesterday!
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

RiverAux

That would be a reasonable expectation, but this is CAP....

kmbarnes1

Low-Ropes Courses? Those are perfect for leadership activities and I don't see how they can be considered "High Adventure" unless they are thinking of something different than I. This is crazy. I can understand (but don't particularly agree with) Paintball but if the Boy Scouts can do it, why can't CAP do it?
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JeffDG

The title of the ICL seems to imply that it only applies to cadets is that true?

I know during DWH, there was a push to get aircrews through the Water Survival training here...wondering if that would be impacted.