Airshow recruiting

Started by Fly Boy, April 24, 2010, 01:45:33 AM

Fly Boy

I would like to organize my group (with the help of an SM) to assist at an airshow in later October. I would also like to have a recruitment tent set up there as well so if anyone can offer any tips on how to go about organizing or carrying out the airshow ops post them here please. Any tips are helpful,
                                                             --Fly Boy

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

SarDragon

Do your after-event planning ahead of time, so your unit is ready to process and train the new folks you are expecting to join.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TexasBirdGirl

Our squadron has worked several airshows.
I find few CAP activities are as fun and rewarding as this.
I agree with SarDragon after action reports are invaluable as they will help you evaluate and do better with each activity.
But that does not help you get started if this is something you have never done before.
First, I would strongly suggest you get in touch with who ever is putting on the Airshow. See what they need volunteers for. If you contact them now, yu choice of duity assignments will be greater than if you wait.  They are planning now! So, the sooner you contact them the better. Also, if you want that recruiting booth, you need to request that now, that way you get a more choice spot, instead of back in a corner somewhere where no one will see you...been there done that!

Once you have your assignments, you can start to formulate your OPS plan.
If you need further assistance, let me know!

Kerrbie

Birdgirl has a great start that is the first thing you need to do. I just came from an airshow just on sun was so much fun!!

But something to add for when you call them. If you have a plane ask to bring it along! We have our squadron plan at all our recruiting events that happen on a base or airport. Its really cool and people love to come look at it.

Next your going to need a board. Expo board, or cork board something. Put squadron pictures up from various activities and have cap info on it as well as your squadron. Give out a little history.
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

TexasBirdGirl

Quote from: Kerrbie on May 18, 2010, 06:30:16 PM
Birdgirl has a great start that is the first thing you need to do. I just came from an airshow just on sun was so much fun!!

But something to add for when you call them. If you have a plane ask to bring it along! We have our squadron plan at all our recruiting events that happen on a base or airport. Its really cool and people love to come look at it.

Next your going to need a board. Expo board, or cork board something. Put squadron pictures up from various activities and have cap info on it as well as your squadron. Give out a little history.

Duh... :P
yes, if you all have a plane...see if they have room for a display. We had several squadrons in our group join us at our last Airshow, and all but one had a plane to display. And we had our COM van set up as our ICC.
If you do a lot of recruiting you may want to get a banner made up for the front of the table you set up.
If you do model rocketry bring some rockets, to display. As for the board with pictures, you need something that will not blow over.
You might just want to put Plexiglas on the table and the pics under it. That is my plan for next time.
And have TONS of recruiting materials!!
Have a stamp made out so you do not have to write the contact information on the fliers.

More to follow....

Spaceman3750

Quote from: TexasBirdGirl on May 18, 2010, 07:36:52 PM
Have a stamp made out so you do not have to write the contact information on the fliers.

Better yet, have business cards made up and stick them in with the fliers. They're really cheap at vistaprint.com (you just pay for shipping). They look a lot better than a stamp and people will take you more seriously.

TexasBirdGirl

Great idea.
Several members have CAP business cards in our squadron...

I think I shall follow your link. Thanks!!
LOVE this site!

Kerrbie

Oh i didn't even think about the wind haha the pexiglass is a great idea! Make sure to bring some paperweights to put down on the flyers just in case it really is all that windy. Also another idea if you dont have a squadron plane. Ask to park your squadron van there too. It still attracks attention just make sure the CAP logo is facing outward.
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Kerrbie on May 18, 2010, 07:51:15 PM
Also another idea if you dont have a squadron plane. Ask to park your squadron van there too.

Or you could smile real big at a pilot from a squadron with a plane and ask them if they'd be willing to fly it over. Honestly, it's not "El Paso's plane" or "Dallas' Plane" it's "CAPs plane", the trick is you just have to find a pilot to get it to you.

Eclipse

Establish from day one whether CAP will be a partner with the show or simply another vendor - both have advantages and disadvantages.

Make sure the seniors involved have the proper approvals as per the Wing, etc.

Insure those doing the planning understand what CAP is not allowed to do as much as what they can do, and don't sell a service you are either not allowed or not capable of providing.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Fly Boy on April 24, 2010, 01:45:33 AM
I would like to organize my group (with the help of an SM) to assist at an airshow in later October.

Do you mean Group as in a group of members from your unit, or do you mean planning it at the Group level?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BillB

One problem I've seen for recruiting tables at Airshows. The lack of sound and motion. Just photos on a board and brochures on a table do NOT get peoples attention. In 2002 CAP produced a CD that played like a DVD. It ran 11 minutes then repeated once. Every Squadron has a laptop that could be used to play the CD at a recruiting table. While the 2002 CD is no longer available, there are plenty of videos on the ANational web pages that can be downloaded. I even burned about two dozen copies of the 2002 CD and distributed them to Squadrons. The sound and motion draws people eyes to the laptop and they look over the brochures. You'll find people linger at the recruiting table and actually take a brochure. Eeverything helps in recruiting.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

TexasBirdGirl

Quote from: DBlair on May 19, 2010, 05:58:08 AM
Quote from: Fly Boy on April 24, 2010, 01:45:33 AM
I would like to organize my group (with the help of an SM) to assist at an airshow in later October.

Do you mean Group as in a group of members from your unit, or do you mean planning it at the Group level?

That just went over my head...did not even see that! ;D

cachambliss

Having been involved in the organization of more than a few airport open houses, airshows, air fairs, etc.

1.  People manning the booth/tent:  Don't wait for the day to think about what they are going to say.  Make sure they know the RIGHT answers for prospective members (cadet and senior), and even more important to be able to answer prospective cadets mother's questions.  (Remmeber a Mom can smell a scam, insincerity, or BS up to 1 mile away).

2.  Publications:  Make sure they are up to date.

3.  Appearance:  Look Sharp/Be Sharp.

4.  Airplane - If one is present, please wash it and make sure it is clean, especially the belly. 

5.  Professional is a mindset and an attitude not a paycheck so look and act professional. 

6.  Be creative, draw attention to your area.  A portable white board with a bit of CAP History or a aerodynamics lesson, a couple of model rockets, a photo display with larg (8"x10") pictures of CAP Activities.

7.  Target you audience:  Say maybe 85 % towards Cadets and 15% toward Seniors.

8.  Have a clearly defined Chain of Command and clearly assigned dutioes for all participants.

9.  Keep Notes about everything and create a "task book" for the next time.  Very important, as soon as possible when the event ends have all participants submit a statement as to what went right, what was not so right, and what could have been done better.  These 'After Action Notes'  should be reviewed and consolidated and used to prepare a "Lessons Learned" report for the Staff.

As in all things, Have Fun.

JC004

Try an activity...we used to do Fatal Vision because I borrowed the supplies from the school district and State Police.  Fatal Vision was VERY popular...I got yelled at by the Fire Marshall for clogging up the area.  I'm sure there are aerospace things that you can do too.

I'd make a slideshow on a good size computer monitor with different pictures, or maybe play a non-crappy CAP video.  Just don't bother with this unless you are going to have adequate glare coverage - either under a tent, far enough out of the sun or a monitor sun shield.

We did free raffles to attract attention and get names...raffled off some donated food gift certificates.  That worked well.  If they checked the "Send me more information" box, we put a brochure in the mail to them.

If you can get DDR giveaways, that's great.  If not, some stuff, like pens are cheap.  4mprint is great and price matches.  I got a good discount by asking them to price match a competitor.  You can also try NHQ's vendors.  NHQ was supposed to give me the contact information for them, but I'm not sure that I ever got it.  If you can get the quantity discounts and waived setup fees because of NHQ's business, that's a good deal.