Cross country checklists

Started by UH60guy, February 06, 2014, 07:38:24 PM

UH60guy

I'm getting off my butt to build some more PIC fixed wing time to eventually become a CAP Mission Pilot. In the process, I'm getting out to some new airports, and working on eventually visiting all 66 Virginia airports and earning some "free" swag that only costs like $10k in aircraft rental charges.

I know I have my little routine down, mostly just reading stacks of pubs, forgetting half of it, rereading, and printing out APOA kneeboard pages for each airport. I'd like to streamline the process. Being a military aviator, I like checklists for everything.

Some friends used to have flight planning checklists that I used, but they were helicopter and military specific. Does anyone out there have some sort of planning reminder tool they like to use? The idea isn't to reinvent the airport directory and NOTAM file, but to be used as a self-briefing and planning tool to make sure I pay attention to key points. If not, maybe I can put something together from any responses.

I mean, something that walks me down the line, makes sure I read and notice the important stuff. Something like this quick and truncated example:
-Check for PPR
-Check NOTAMS, takeoff minimums, and restrictions including nearby airspace
-FBO/airport Hours
-Check braking distance, runway length, runway condition.
-Check runway width and grade
-Fuel availability and location on field
-Check for landing fees
-Locate nearest BBQ joint
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

scooter

Add: Planned alternate and enroute emergency airports.

PHall

You forgot the two most important items,

- Where are the airplane keys. :o

- Distance between clean restrooms! >:D