CAP Grid overlay for Garmin Pilot on I Pad

Started by twofivexray, December 13, 2012, 05:42:08 PM

twofivexray

I've been experimenting with Garmin Pilot for charts and flight planning on an I PAD and I'm liking it. Does anyone know of a source or the possibility of adding a CAP grid to the Sectionals?

Roger
Roger W. Bass, 1st Lt, CAP
Easton Composite Squadron, MD-079
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

rframe

I use an 10" 3G Android tablet as my electronic flight bag with gps-enabled navigation charts, sectionals, en-route, approach plates, weather, flight planning, etc.

The application I use is Avilution AviationMaps, it costs $5/month for data updates.

The developer is very accessible and responsive.

It is currently very easy to use, built-in search and rescue flight plan in this application by defining the initial waypoint, bearing, leg length, leg spacing, and direction of turns.

I do not see an option currently to overlay CAP grids, but I imagine it'd be a very simple addition if someone were to ask the developer for it.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Wing-X just released SAR grids today.  Looks pretty good!

krnlpanick

Quote from: rframe on December 13, 2012, 08:52:11 PM
I do not see an option currently to overlay CAP grids, but I imagine it'd be a very simple addition if someone were to ask the developer for it.

I used to work with a product guy that started every conversation with "This should be really easy to do"

Just an anecdote that I was reminded of. That being said, I have heard of the app and have heard good things about it!
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

sardak

Quotecapcharts.com sells pregridded .PDFs.
Please note correction.

Free gridded charts in pdf (large file size) are available here: http://www.cap-es.net/CAPGrids/Gridded%20Sectionals.htm

Grids for entire sectionals in Google Earth kmz files can be generated on the fly here: http://www.painefieldcap.org/gridmaster/
This site links to the CAP-ES site. It also links to the Google Earth Library site which has a kml/kmz file to overlay sectionals into GE, but the files from the GELib site aren't working.

A CAP Talker, Tinker, created a JavaScript html file which will generate CAP grids and range rings in Google Maps. The thread is here, http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=12081.0 , but the DropBox link is dead. I've attached the zip file with the html (which I had saved from this thread).

Whether or not you can get any of these to work in Garmin Pilot is yours to figure out.

Mike

rframe

I just sent one email to the main developer of Avilution AviationMaps, explained the CAP grid system, and sent a couple references, and he said "no problem, I'll add it to the requested features list".

No promise of course when that might be added, but it's on his radar now.

a2capt

Quote from: Mission Pilot on December 13, 2012, 09:12:51 PMWing-X just released SAR grids today.  Looks pretty good!
CAP members can get 25% off of the subscription, too. Call 408-268-8418 for information.
At just about $500/year if you get "all" the features, you better do a lot of flying.

Critical AOA

It would be great to see ForeFlight add this function.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on December 16, 2012, 10:34:40 PM
It would be great to see ForeFlight add this function.

It would but Foreflight is just not as responsive as Hilton is.

a2capt

Looking at getting into iOS development myself, and map stuff is one of the things I want to tackle/explore.  I'm not all thrilled by the huge fees on subscriptions to this stuff, though I have not done all the research yet to see what drives that cost, besides the market bearing it, I just wonder if there's not another niche in it that a developer would be happy with the income, and sell this stuff for less or with other options.

Lots of research to do :)

twofivexray

Thanks to you all for your responses. FYI one of the things I like about the Garmin App is that the annual subscription is $49.99 for all the charters.

Roger
Roger W. Bass, 1st Lt, CAP
Easton Composite Squadron, MD-079
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

starshippe

we have a member up the road a few miles who is very sharp on developing these apps. i will see if i can get him on cap talk, and have him describe what he has.
   i believe they load straight into foreflight, but am not sure if they wont load into other software.
   i am trying to get him to develop an automatic star pattern configurator.
   give me a few days.

bill