Scanner vs. AP

Started by Walkman, November 05, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

Walkman

Looking at the ops reports from the east coast, a huge majority of the sorties are photo. Our last SAREVAL was mostly all photo sorties for the first couple of days. Looking at the tea leaves it seems that if one really wants to have a chance at real-world missions they should go directly from scanner to AP, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. I wonder if at some point it wouldn't be a good idea to roll AP into Scanner training and make it one qual?

Just so there's an excuse to quickly turn this into a uniform thread, with the added training & duties those achieving the combined qual could be aithorized aircrew wings to wear.  >:D (Sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, though. I'm going to be pushing everyone in my unit to get AP as soon as possible in 2013. (The rest of the 2012 is focused on UDF & GTM3 quals)

Larry Mangum

All scanners and observers should become AP and ADIS qualified.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RiverAux

I predict that AP will be dropped as being unnecessary.  Sort of like having a GT qual and a separate qualification for use of a compass. 

a2capt

c172drv

Quote from: a2capt on November 05, 2012, 07:06:02 PM
MS and AP should be one.

There are a few different skill sets.  1st and most important is keeping your lunch down while telling a MP how to maneuver the aircraft to get the photo that does the most good.  Not everyone is skilled with camera's and the post mission processing isn't something to be sneezed at.  The two overlap a lot and in theory could be merged but it might be best to keep them separate due to the 1st skill described earlier.  >:D

John
John Jester
VAWG

RiverAux

If you can't keep your lunch down while taking photos, the chances of you keeping your lunch down while attempting to scan a pattern is probably pretty low. 

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on November 05, 2012, 09:42:39 PM
If you can't keep your lunch down while taking photos, the chances of you keeping your lunch down while attempting to scan a pattern is probably pretty low.

Actually, looking through a camera is more prone to making somebody motion sick. You can't see the horizon.
And seeing the horizon is one of the ways your body handles motion. It's a reference point for your equilibium system.
This is why so many people get sick in military transport aircraft, no windows.

What is "AP"?  I should know but I don't...

PHall

Quote from: 754837 on November 06, 2012, 01:18:27 AM
What is "AP"?  I should know but I don't...

Aerial Photographer