Cessna Skymaster / CAP

Started by usafcap1, September 23, 2012, 07:57:00 AM

usafcap1

Does CAP use Cessna skymasters? I read that 122nd Special Operations Squadron uses skymasters.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

spacecommand

I do not think any of CAP's corporate aircraft are Skymasters. 

Not to mention that the Special Operations Squadron is a fictional unit.

SarDragon

First rule of the Special Operations Squadron: You don't talk about the Special Operations Squadron.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

GroundHawg

Quote from: usafcap1 on September 23, 2012, 07:57:00 AM
Does CAP use Cessna skymasters? I read that 122nd Special Operations Squadron uses skymasters.

OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil Doc

BTW, why does CAP keep calling it "Corporate" we dont work for an big company. We are an Military AUX.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

NIN

The 122nd is still out there, lads. Just sayin'

The 416th, is too, someplace.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

I know a person that was in DEVGRU, oooohhhh.  Also, I was an Space Shuttle Door Gunner, so Secret Squirrel please.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

ol'fido

In the so-called "bad old days"(which were anything but), you could find just about anything on the flight line at a CAP mission base. I have seen Pipers, Beechcrafts(including an antique Staggerwing), all manner of Cessnas, Aeroncas, and Kachinas. This was the days when member owned aircraft dominated and you would see 10-20 aircraft out on the ramp with CAP seal on the tailfin. I don't specifically recall any 337s but I wouldn't discount it. At one mission we used the aforementioned Staggerwing, the Wing CC showed up in a Cessna Citation I or II, and I took an o-ride in a green and white Beech Baron that the Group 19 commander showed up in.

In those days corporate aircraft were not as prevalent as they are now. I doubt you would ever find record of one as a corporate aircraft for the simple reason that most CAP pilots were not multi-engine rated. Even then, you wouldn't buy an airplane that only a small fraction of your pilots could fly.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BillB

My 337 was used on several missions in the 70's. Advantage, you could load 3 observers and 2 scanners onboard. Disadvaqnage, hi fuel use, but since USAF was paying was no problem.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

NIN

BITD (which was a Wednesday, I believe), a guy I knew who was a mission pilot showed up to a practice mission in his personally-owned T-28 Trojan.  Him and his GIBS hopped out, sauntered into mission base, and then flew Cessna 172 sorties for the rest of the day in a left-seat/right-seat config.  End of the day, fired up the radial and headed home.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Quote from: Devil Doc on September 23, 2012, 01:16:54 PMBTW, why does CAP keep calling it "Corporate" we dont work for an big company. We are an Military AUX.
Three months in CAP... I wish the OBC was the basis for Level I. Not III.

EMT-83

Quote from: a2capt on September 23, 2012, 03:24:23 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on September 23, 2012, 01:16:54 PMBTW, why does CAP keep calling it "Corporate" we dont work for an big company. We are an Military AUX.
Three months in CAP... I wish the OBC was the basis for Level I. Not III.

This is where I generally jump in to complain about "on-line" Level 1.

spacecommand

Quote from: Devil Doc on September 23, 2012, 01:16:54 PM
BTW, why does CAP keep calling it "Corporate" we dont work for an big company. We are an Military AUX.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C909.txt

ZigZag911

Quote from: BillB on September 23, 2012, 02:29:44 PM
My 337 was used on several missions in the 70's. Advantage, you could load 3 observers and 2 scanners onboard. Disadvaqnage, hi fuel use, but since USAF was paying was no problem.

Which is why it surprises me GA8 aren't used more in SAR, similar aircrew potential, lower fuel consumption, single engine.

Why limit them to ARCHER missions?

arajca

Because the few ARCHER systems still functioning are not permitted to be removed from the aircraft due to the high potential for damage and total lack of replacement parts. That's what you get for deploying a prototype system instead of a production system. The GA-8's without ARCHER systems are used for other missions, including SAR.

SarDragon

CAP is a federally chartered corporation. The Boy Scouts have a similar charter.

Look at the material at spacecommand's link, and also here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

Quote from: ol'fido on September 23, 2012, 02:22:46 PM
In the so-called "bad old days"(which were anything but), you could find just about anything on the flight line at a CAP mission base. I have seen Pipers, Beechcrafts(including an antique Staggerwing), all manner of Cessnas, Aeroncas, and Kachinas. This was the days when member owned aircraft dominated and you would see 10-20 aircraft out on the ramp with CAP seal on the tailfin. I don't specifically recall any 337s but I wouldn't discount it. At one mission we used the aforementioned Staggerwing, the Wing CC showed up in a Cessna Citation I or II, and I took an o-ride in a green and white Beech Baron that the Group 19 commander showed up in.

In those days corporate aircraft were not as prevalent as they are now. I doubt you would ever find record of one as a corporate aircraft for the simple reason that most CAP pilots were not multi-engine rated. Even then, you wouldn't buy an airplane that only a small fraction of your pilots could fly.

I was once told a BITD story about a squadron whom had a private owned P2V neptune that they kept in "CAP" colors that was used for searches.....
It sounds a little far feteched to me...but with BITD stories (especially before the interweb) anything is possible.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

jimmydeanno

It's because we ARE a big company.  We are a federally chartered 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.  Our aircraft are owned by our corporation, making them corporate aircraft.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Critical AOA

Plus it allows me to claim that I fly corporate aircraft.  It impresses the chicks.   8)
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 23, 2012, 11:39:45 PM
Plus it allows me to claim that I fly corporate aircraft.  It impresses the chicks.   8)

"Here's a picture of my spam can.."

Yeah, that don't last as long as you'd like it to. STS.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Critical AOA

Quote from: NIN on September 23, 2012, 11:40:57 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 23, 2012, 11:39:45 PM

"Here's a picture of my spam can.."

Yeah, that don't last as long as you'd like it to. STS.

Part of the deception illusion is maintaining a lack of specificity in regards to what constitutes a corporate aircraft when engaged in the deception illusion.  Providing a picture of the "spam can" would add an undesired level of specificity.   Must I explain everything?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Al Sayre

Corporate aircraft are nothing!  I fly aircraft paid for by the USAF.  Here's a picture of me in my zoom bag to prove it.  That little airplane behind the F-22?  Oh, that's some little SAR bird the USAF uses on weekends...   8) >:D ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

There was a member owned O-2A that was used in CAWG for a couple of years.
If you ever watch the movie Bat 21, that's the airplane. The owner did a fair amount of movie work to help pay the bills.
It is just about the perfect SAR airplane. High wing, lots of windows, twin engine performance.
It just cost an arm and a leg to fly... :(

SarDragon

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 23, 2012, 11:32:42 PM

I was once told a BITD story about a squadron whom had a private owned P2V neptune that they kept in "CAP" colors that was used for searches.....
It sounds a little far feteched to me...but with BITD stories (especially before the interweb) anything is possible.

mk

Never heard that one. Those two 3350s suck about 390 gal/hr, at an estimated cost of $2500/hr, at today's price for AvGas. Having flown in one a few times, I don't see it as a particularly effective SAR platform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

Quote from: SarDragon on September 24, 2012, 02:12:07 AM
Quote from: sarmed1 on September 23, 2012, 11:32:42 PM

mk

Never heard that one. Those two 3350s suck about 390 gal/hr, at an estimated cost of $2500/hr, at today's price for AvGas. Having flown in one a few times, I don't see it as a particularly effective SAR platform.
I see it as a very effective search platform...since that is more or less what it was designed for...submarine searches; however not a COST effective search platform (suuposedly with that story was the disclaimer this was before the re-imburse rate was based on the cesna fuel cost/consumption rate.)

on a little research it could be that the person who I heard this from had his airframes confused:

Lockheed P2V Neptune vs  Lockheed PV2 Harpoon..... I would much more readily believe the harpoon; apparently there were a large number dumped to civilian market as surplus after WWII.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SarDragon

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 24, 2012, 04:02:12 PM
I see it as a very effective search platform...since that is more or less what it was designed for...submarine searches; however not a COST effective search platform (suuposedly with that story was the disclaimer this was before the re-imburse rate was based on the cesna fuel cost/consumption rate.)

on a little research it could be that the person who I heard this from had his airframes confused:

Lockheed P2V Neptune vs  Lockheed PV2 Harpoon..... I would much more readily believe the harpoon; apparently there were a large number dumped to civilian market as surplus after WWII.

mk

The primary search tool in a CAP aircraft is the Mark 1, Mod 0, eyeball. This is not the case with ASW aircraft. Observers play only a small part in the search effort. The primary tools are various electronic sensors that detect subs using different technologies, the most prominent of those being acoustic.

A P-2 (or P-3, its successor) is not a slow platform, nor is it particularly suited for low level flight in the manner CAP uses theirs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 24, 2012, 01:18:31 AM
Corporate aircraft are nothing!  I fly aircraft paid for by the USAF.  Here's a picture of me in my zoom bag to prove it.  That little airplane behind the F-22?  Oh, that's some little SAR bird the USAF uses on weekends...   8) >:D ;D

Good lord, I think I just heard someone's head explode near the Connecticut River...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

FW

PA Wing had a C337 back in the 80's.  It was a nice aircraft but, a maintanence hog.  We got rid of it around 1990 and, later, purchased an Aztec.

PHall

Quote from: FW on September 24, 2012, 08:42:37 PM
PA Wing had a C337 back in the 80's.  It was a nice aircraft but, a maintanence hog.  We got rid of it around 1990 and, later, purchased an Aztec.

Why did PAWG need a twin? It's not like you have high pressure altitude problems.

Critical AOA

And yet some folks wonder about our affinity for the zoom bag.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2012, 09:41:02 PM

Why did PAWG need a twin? It's not like you have high pressure altitude problems.

Come on, Phil, you know how this works: "The good idea fairy."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Well, they do have some moderate bumps in the terrain called the Alleghenies and the Appalachians in Central Pennsylvania. They need to get up above 5000' MSL to get over some of them safely.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Crosswind

Quote from: SarDragon on September 24, 2012, 10:33:36 PM

Well, they do have some moderate bumps in the terrain called the Alleghenies and the Appalachians in Central Pennsylvania. They need to get up above 5000' MSL to get over some of them safely.

Heck, that's 300' lower than our runway altitude.  :)

Lt. Rich Denison
Director of Public Affairs - Wyoming Wing

Public Affairs Officer/Asst. Aerospace Education Officer
492nd Emergency Services Composite Squadron
Casper, WY

PHall

Quote from: NIN on September 24, 2012, 10:30:28 PM

More likely the GOB Club...

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2012, 11:26:14 PM

There's a difference?  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on September 24, 2012, 11:47:05 PM

Yeah, the Good Idea Fairy is a heck of a lot better looking! :o

SarDragon

Got me there, Phil.

BTW, you gonna be at the wing conference?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2012, 12:27:53 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 24, 2012, 11:47:05 PM

Yeah, the Good Idea Fairy is a heck of a lot better looking! :o
In this case, the "Good Idea Fairy" was the state legislature which authorized the Aztec's purchase. The state attorney general "leased" the aircraft for his use (corporate mission use).  It also was used to transport the wing commander and vice commander around the state as, their combined weight was well over 500 lbs.... ;D

PHall

Al Sayre

Quote from: NIN on September 24, 2012, 08:42:25 PM

Good lord, I think I just heard someone's head explode near the Connecticut River...

:clap:
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Slim

Quote from: NIN on September 23, 2012, 02:33:58 PM
BITD (which was a Wednesday, I believe), a guy I knew who was a mission pilot showed up to a practice mission in his personally-owned T-28 Trojan.  Him and his GIBS hopped out, sauntered into mission base, and then flew Cessna 172 sorties for the rest of the day in a left-seat/right-seat config.  End of the day, fired up the radial and headed home.

He grew up.  Nowadays, I understand that he shows up in an L-39.

Slim