Main Menu

Fully Initiated

Started by Walkman, May 11, 2012, 03:04:13 AM

Walkman

I'm now fully initiated into the aircrew community. I puked tonight during a MO sortie. (BTW - I did have my own sick sack.)

Flying parallel track, I let go right as we finished a confirmation circle around the target and we're pulling around for a straight line to grab the GPS data from the G1000. I even logged the lat/long from the screen between heaves.

I feel part of the group now!  8)

SarDragon

Welcome to the wonderful world of SAR flying.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

It's kinda funny..  I don't have an issue flying the sortie, observing, scanning, etc..  or any of that. OTOH.. Certainly piloting is full on involvement in what's going on, but being a hands off passenger I can see where people have to acclimate to it.

... if I am playing Angry Birds on the iPad while riding in a car?  I start to feel it, but never reach the point. But definitely feel it.

bosshawk

For those of you who have a tendency to motion sickness, try flying a tight circle at 1000 feet for almost two hours without straightening out once.  Did it once while helping to recover a body out of the surf just north of Santa Cruz, Ca.  Was flying for the sheriff in their 172.  Caged the directional gyro in the process.  Didn't even feel it, but I have never had motion sickness in more than 50 years of flying.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Nasty tummy? Ginger is where it's at!

Had a few rocky days in the last couple of weeks, due to stress, and the dark chocolate covered ginger from Trader Joe's really did the trick. For you folks who would eschew the chocolate, there is also ginger gum available that also does the job.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cliff_Chambliss

when entering or recovering from a circle do not move your head. 

I often demostrate spatial disorientation to my students by putting the aircraft in a moderately banked turn (30-45) and then have them look over their shoulder in the direction of turn.  I then tell them to look forward as I at the same time recover to level flight.  The sensation they have is that they are falling to the opposite side of the turn. 

This is especially pronounced at night.

1qt zip lock bags, a cup of kitty litter, and a couple paper towels.  If not, use your hat.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

lordmonar

Try sitting in the back seat while the pilot is doing his Mountain Flying Qualifications!

:-[
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 11, 2012, 01:23:16 PM
when entering or recovering from a circle do not move your head. 

I often demostrate spatial disorientation to my students by putting the aircraft in a moderately banked turn (30-45) and then have them look over their shoulder in the direction of turn.  I then tell them to look forward as I at the same time recover to level flight.  The sensation they have is that they are falling to the opposite side of the turn. 

I'm sure that had something to do with it. I'm still an aircrew n00b so I haven't learned all those techniques yet.

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss link
1qt zip lock bags, a cup of kitty litter, and a couple paper towels.  If not, use your hat.

I had those zip locks with napkins. Didn't think about the kitty litter. Hopefully, this won't be a recurring incident in my career.

Quote from: lordmonar on May 11, 2012, 02:05:28 PM
Try sitting in the back seat while the pilot is doing his Mountain Flying Qualifications!

:-[

No thanks!

Quote from: SarDragon on May 11, 2012, 06:51:09 AM
Nasty tummy? Ginger is where it's at!

I've seen you recommend ginger before. Where do you get it. I normally use Antivert OTC, but for some dumb reason, I didn't take it last night.

Cliff_Chambliss

Another hint,
Eat bananas before flight.

No, they will not keep you from puking but they do taste the same coming up as they did going down.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

SarDragon

The ginger gum is available at many drug stores, in the same area as the Dramamine. I get my ginger candy at Trader Joe's. If you don't have TJ's in your area, look around. I'm sure other stores carry it, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret