Main Menu

ICom 4008M

Started by 2LTRobbins, September 10, 2018, 05:47:07 PM

2LTRobbins

Hi all.  New member here.  Question:  I read on here where the Icom 4008Ms are obsolete.  Is this true?  If so, should my squadron not be using them.  I'm a fairly recent addition to CAP and was curious.

SarDragon

They are obsolete in terms of their availability and repairability. If the ones you have are operable, use them.

In my part of the world, we have travel kits with some number (6?, 8?) of them that can be taken to activities for use. They do pretty well for their intended use.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

At the national conference there was a slide that said they are being "retired" but nothing was said about that particular bullet point - including what the replacement will be (suggesting there isn't one).

PHall

Quote from: Fubar on September 11, 2018, 09:04:52 AM
At the national conference there was a slide that said they are being "retired" but nothing was said about that particular bullet point - including what the replacement will be (suggesting there isn't one).

As far as the National Comm guys are concerned, they're being "retired". Meaning that they don't want to deal with them anymore.
They have other, newer toys to play with and just don't want to bothered with these radios.
That being said they're still authorized for use, just don't expect any support from the Comm folks at National.

Eclipse

My understanding is they can still be swapped out with NHQ if they are damaged.

Apparently my wing had several a few weeks ago that got "cadetted" and were exchanged with little drama.

They may be "retired", but in the circumstances they were intended, they still work fine.

"That Others May Zoom"