Academy Orientation Day

Started by Noble Six, February 29, 2012, 09:56:25 PM

Noble Six

The Academy Orientation Day is scheduled for Sunday, March 4, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the UTSA NORTH CAMPUS – 1604, One UTSA Circle, Main Building, Ground Floor, 0.104, San Antonio, TX 78249 . Attached are the event flyer and UTSA campus map .

As you know, congressional nominations are required for appointments to any of the following Department of Defense academies: the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York.

The Academy Orientation Day program will include presentations by midshipmen and cadets, congressional staffers, and academy representatives. There will be an explanation of nomination procedures and a video of life at each academy. Students and parents will have the opportunity to visit with academy representatives after the program. The Coast Guard and the ROTC will also be represented. Academy admission eligibility requirements are: an excellent academic record, physical fitness, an applicant must be 17 to 23 years of age, unmarried with no dependents, and an American citizen.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

MSG Mac

Long way to drive from the DC area!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Cap'n

I wish I could go to this, but I'm all the way in Colorado...Oh well, maybe next year!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Pomegranate on March 01, 2012, 02:03:34 AM
I wish I could go to this, but I'm all the way in Colorado...Oh well, maybe next year!

Just go visit the academy. That's what I did when I was a kid on family vacation.

arajca

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 01, 2012, 04:15:02 PM

Just go visit the academy. That's what I did when I was a kid on family vacation.
Or go to the COWG Encampment.

bosshawk

Open Invitation to anyone on CAPtalk who is interested in attending an academy:

I am an experienced West Point Admissions Liaison Officer and would be glad to discuss the admissions process for West Point.  It happens to be very similar to the admissions processes for all of the academies.

PM me if you like.  In addition, the academies have representatives just like me who live in all states and cover most high schools.  Go on the academy websites and find out the nearest admissions liaison officer to you.  West Point probably has 400 folks like me, scattered around the country.

Over the years, I have probably sent 275 kids to West Point, so I have a working knowledge of the process.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Cap'n

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 01, 2012, 04:15:02 PM

Oh no, I live about 10 minutes away from the Academy; I just visited last weekend. But it would be nice to go to something like this, where I could get more of an insight on how the Academy works than what you see in the visitor center. :)

bosshawk

Pomegranate: get in touch with the Admissions Office at the Academy and ask for an appointment to meet with one of their Admissions Officers.  That will get you everything from the horse's mouth.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

abdsp51

FYI congressional nominations are not the only way to get into a service academy.

Cap'n

Thank you, Sir. I will do that.

bosshawk

abdsp51 is correct: there are other ways to get into an academy.  One, be an enlisted member of one of the armed forces.  Two, there are 100 Presidential appointments for every entering class, but they are reserved for sons and daughters of active or retired service members.  Three, the Reserves and National Guard have appointments for enlisted members of those service components.  There are also a limited number of appointments for sons and daughters of MOH winners, deceased service members who were killed in combat and a few other, very limited, sources for appointments.  The Vice President also has a handful of appointments.

The most numerous appointments are from congressmen and senators.

The admissions process is long and complicated and I won't try to explain it all here.  Like everything else about the military services, there are more myths and half truths than there are people making them up.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Extremepredjudice

Just wondering, does anyone know anything about ROTC admissions? (preferably AFROTC)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"