The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Well, my question still stands, (i understand what you are saying about the pocket badge on USAF uniform) where do you put the fourth badge on the USAF style BDU?

PHall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 27, 2010, 03:03:19 AM
Well, my question still stands, (i understand what you are saying about the pocket badge on USAF uniform) where do you put the fourth badge on the USAF style BDU?

Well, unless you're a current/former Commander, you don't wear a fourth badge, at least not on a USAF BDU that is worn IAW AFI 36-2903.

And I would be very interested to see a cite from CAPM 39-1 that authorizes it too.

manfredvonrichthofen

CAPM- 39-1
6-2. Policy. Only those CAP badges and devices described in this chapter will be worn on the CAP
uniform. If at any time, more than one badge or device is authorized for wear in the same position on
the uniform, the member will select one, to the exclusion of others, for wear in that position. Special
badges or devices designed for specific purposes will be worn only for the duration of the special duty
and will not be worn as a part of the regular uniform. A maximum of four badges/devices may be worn
on the AF-style uniforms.

Emphasis, not mine.

ßτε

According to CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4, CAP does it exactly as the USAF does.
19    US Military Badges   embroidered (regular      on the BDU as prescribed      Only those
       (see Table 6-5)       or subdued)                 by the US Air Force.             badges authorized
                                                                                                            for wear on the
                                                                                                            USAF uniform
                                                                                                            are authorized on
                                                                                                            the CAP uniform

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: bte on November 27, 2010, 01:25:03 PM
According to CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4, CAP does it exactly as the USAF does.
19    US Military Badges   embroidered (regular      on the BDU as prescribed      Only those
       (see Table 6-5)       or subdued)                 by the US Air Force.             badges authorized
                                                                                                            for wear on the
                                                                                                            USAF uniform
                                                                                                            are authorized on
                                                                                                            the CAP uniform

According to CAPM 39-1 6-2 and 6-4, You may wear four badges on your uniform so long as all military badges worn are authorized on the USAF uniform. It says nothing about how they are placed other than you may not place more than one badge in the same position. If the uniform manual is to be used, please use the whole thing, not just pieces and parts.

If you read the notes underneath the illustrations, the notes under the picture of the blues state that you may ONLY wear two badges above your ribbons, badges (other than specialty and command) may not be worn anywhere else on the blues.

The BDU illustration does not state where the badges are to be worn, nor how many. To find how many badges may be worn on the BDU you have to search through the manual. Going down to section 6-2 and to table 6-4 you are told that (by using both together [how the manual is to be used] as a whole) you can wear four badges so long as military badges are authorized on the USAF uniform. It does not however state where they are to be placed.

MIKE

You're just grabbing at straws here.
Mike Johnston

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: MIKE on November 27, 2010, 02:40:51 PM
You're just grabbing at straws here.
Then how do you explain 6-2 and it's statement of four badges? Do you think it should just be ignored? Just use the parts of the manual that you like? That is whats called a double standard, "Use the manual, but do as I say."

ßτε

It does state where they are to be placed. They are to be placed exactly where it is authorized on the USAF BDU uniform.

Sorry, I didn't include the headings:

It will be worn                     and the
                                             following rules
                                             will be observed

on the BDU as prescribed      Only those
by the US Air Force.             badges authorized
                                        for wear on the
                                        USAF uniform
                                        are authorized on
                                        the CAP uniform

manfredvonrichthofen

19 US Military Badges            embroidered (regular             on the BDU as prescribed                                 Only those
(see Table 6-5)                      or subdued)                            by the US Air Force.                                          badges authorized
                                                                                                                                                                      for wear on the
                                                                                                                                                                      USAF uniform
                                                                                                                                                                      are authorized on
                                                                                                                                                                      the CAP uniform

There is the whole thing, that is about US Military Badges. Not CAP Badges

Some one tell me where 39-1 says only two badges are authorized on the BDU, or tell me where it says how many are auth.

HGjunkie

Sorry for the long post, but:

Quote6-2. Policy. Only those CAP badges and devices described in this chapter will be worn on the CAP
uniform. If at any time, more than one badge or device is authorized for wear in the same position on
the uniform, the member will select one, to the exclusion of others, for wear in that position. Special
badges or devices designed for specific purposes will be worn only for the duration of the special duty
and will not be worn as a part of the regular uniform. A maximum of four badges/devices may be worn
on the AF-style uniforms

QuoteTable 6-5. US Military Badges Authorized on CAP Service Uniforms and BDUs
1 US Military Aeronautical Badges
2 Air Force Occupational Badges
3 Combat Infantry or Army Medical Badge
4 US Army Air Assault Badge and Path Finder Badge
5 Parachute Riggers Badge
6 Scuba Badge
7 Distinguished International Shooter Badge
8 Air Force Distinguished Rifleman and Pistol Shot Badge
9 Silver Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge with Wreath
10 Bronze Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge With or Without Wreath
11 Office of the Secretary of Defense Badge
12 Joint Chief of Staff Identification Badge
13 Presidential Service Badge or Vice-Presidential Service Badge
14 Excellence-in-Competition Badge

[
QuoteTable 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field
Uniforms.
ITEM If an individual
wears the
then it will be
regular size
and it will be worn and the
following rules
will be observed
1 "Civil Air Patrol'
Tape (ultramarine
blue)
embroidered in white
cotton thread
centered immediately above
the left breast pocket on the
BDU shirt, field uniform,
BDU or dark blue field
jacket.
Tape will be
width of pocket
with raw edges
turned under.
2 Cloth Name Tape
(ultramarine blue)
embroidered in white
cotton thread
centered immediately
above the right breast
pocket of the BDU or field
uniform shirt and BDU or
dark blue field jacket.
Tape will be
width of pocket
with raw edges
turned under.
3 CAP Command
Patch
embroidered utility uniform and CAP
flight suit: on the right
breast. USAF flight suit:
centered in seamless area
above the right breast
pocket. Flight jacket:
when grade insignia is
worn, the Command Patch
is worn in the
corresponding area.
4 CAP Aviation
Badges
(CAPR 35-6)
embroidered in white
cotton thread
centered 1/2 inch above
the cloth "Civil Air Patrol"
tape worn over the left
breast pocket of BDU,
field uniform and BDU or
dark blue field jacket.
Only one CAP
aviation badge
may be worn.
5 Specialty Insignia
(Chaplain, Legal,
Medical, EMT,
Ground Team)
embroidered in white
cotton thread
centered 1/2-inch above
the cloth "Civil Air Patrol"
tape worn over the left
breast pocket of BDU,
field uniform and BDU or
dark blue field jacket, 1/2
inch below aviation badge.
EXCEPTION: chaplain
insignia is worn 1/2 inch
above the aviation badge.
6 Communications
Patch
embroidered centered on the lower
portion of the left breast
pocket between left and
right edges and bottom of
flap and pocket of BDU
shirt, field uniform shirt
Worn by any
member earning a
rating in the
Communications
Specialty Track.

You may wear four badges so long as they are properly placed on the uniform.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Thank you, so then what is the correct placement?

DBlair

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 26, 2010, 09:28:17 PM
In regards to the placement and number ob badges on the uniform, I only wear two on the blues according to reg. I wear three on my BDU, upon gaining my fourth, I do not know where it should be placed. I know many USAF and Army wear their fourth on their pocket flap, but where should you on the USAF style BDU for CAP? If all four are worn above the CAP tape then you wouldnt be able to see the fourth at all because it would be completely obstructed by the collar.

I'm not sure if this was addressed elsewhere, but which 3 are you wearing on the BDU and where?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

lordmonar

Max of two above the CAP Tape, one on the pocket (not the flap) and one above the Name Tape.

One, Two, Three, Four.

Having said that....only commanders are authorise the badge above the name tape and only the pocket rocket is authorised on the pocket (SF and Fire badges are only authorised when you are assigned to SF of Fire Duties...and no one in CAP is ever assigned to those duties).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

[smg id=262]
I have seen this sort of thing more than a few times.

Mine is CIB, GT, and AASLT above the CAP Tape.

cap235629

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 27, 2010, 07:56:25 PM
[smg id=262]

That is a picture of Stonewalls BDU's.  He has since reread the regulations and agrees that this is incorrect.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

manfredvonrichthofen

EDITED FOR TACT

I have seen the stacking this way quite a few times, is all that I meant by the picture.

I think it is very odd that a person could only wear two badges above their tape, but they can wear as many large patches as they want on their pockets and above their nametape. Come on, there is the squadron patch (nothing against any of these patches, I wear my squadron patch and I like it) the Pluto patch, Hawk mountain, or Blue Beret. That starts to look a little funny to me. Why oh why if all those are ok, would it not be ok to wear three or four skill badges?

DBlair

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 27, 2010, 08:09:05 PM
EDITED FOR TACT

I have seen the stacking this way quite a few times, is all that I meant by the picture.

I think it is very odd that a person could only wear two badges above their tape, but they can wear as many large patches as they want on their pockets and above their nametape. Come on, there is the squadron patch (nothing against any of these patches, I wear my squadron patch and I like it) the Pluto patch, Hawk mountain, or Blue Beret. That starts to look a little funny to me. Why oh why if all those are ok, would it not be ok to wear three or four skill badges?

I don't necessarily disagree with you. That being said, pick two to wear above your CAP tape on your BDUs.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 27, 2010, 07:56:25 PM
[smg id=262]

For starters, regardless of uniform worn you have to pick between the GT and AASLT, they are worn in the same place and it is an either / or not a both.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyboy53

Quote from: lordmonar on November 27, 2010, 07:14:23 PM
Max of two above the CAP Tape, one on the pocket (not the flap) and one above the Name Tape.

One, Two, Three, Four.

Having said that....only commanders are authorize the badge above the name tape and only the pocket rocket is authorised on the pocket (SF and Fire badges are only authorised when you are assigned to SF of Fire Duties...and no one in CAP is ever assigned to those duties).

You're on target, just don't confuse badges with patches.  Without reading between the reg's lines, as far as badges are concerned, it's two above the ribbons and, I think the old AF term was "one miscellaneous" badge under the ribbons or on the left pocket/flap of the BDUs, fatigues, what ever.  I've only ever seen people wearing one badge over the name plate or over the right pocket.

You can't wear it all, at some point you have to pick and chose.  Missileers and cops have to chose between their shield or pocket rocket or a recruiting, AETC Instructor, or some other special duty badge.  Thank goodness that many of the badges don't have a cloth version for the BDU...and fortunately things like recruiting badges and Security Forces shields are taken off when you leave that duty.

The same goes with patches. Security police and firefighters sometimes have to chose between a unit patch and their shield. I don't even wear the ES patch, although I'm qualified to do the same.

I think at last count, I had two AF badges, two special duty badges, observer wings and four CAP speciality badges. I only wear the two AF badges and the observer wings....with one AF badge under the pocket. On my BDUs are only the observer wings and my security forces qualification badge. It's impressive enough.

manfredvonrichthofen

Does anyone know the trick to make the jacket lay flatter when you are wearing a four across ribbon rack?

If you look at the left side of my Service Jacket you can see that it is held up from my chest by the rack. Does anyone know how to fix that?