Main Menu

Perfection versus progress

Started by JohhnyD, January 13, 2020, 01:54:33 AM

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on January 13, 2020, 04:14:18 PM
I mean, nothing like having Region NHQ getting involved in an Obit release to just say "the hell with it".

Fixed that for my experience. There was a near riot at my squadron for that one.

OldGuy

Quote from: Holding Pattern on January 13, 2020, 05:41:39 PM
I mean, nothing like having Region NHQ getting involved in an Obit release to just say "the hell with it".

Fixed that for my experience. There was a near riot at my squadron for that one.
I remember. Multiple fatalities, very emotional and then upper higher HQ games, for no reason.

JohhnyD

Quote from: etodd on January 13, 2020, 04:04:51 PM
Quote from: Fester on January 13, 2020, 08:54:14 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 13, 2020, 06:36:27 AM
Why was the "local" story sent up to Wing?  They have no authority to vet stories per se.

Because I, as the CC, was directed to send ALL press releases to the Higher HQ PAO.

Which is why we need a separate "marketing and advertising" division and position as I mentioned above.  Let your Hdqs PAO edit the PRs for the newspaper, while marketing screams success stories all over social media.

I hope you put it on social media in a timely fashion, while waiting for the official PR to send later to the newspaper.
Some Wing PAO types are taking control of local social media. Not regulation, but it is happening. So much for local squadron control!

rltw2017

It'd be a cold day downstairs before our Sqd PAO allowed anyone except herself to post to our Facebook page. She guards that thing like a dragon's gold.

TSgt, CAP
SSG, INARNG
Former 3/75 Ranger Battalion
Why won't my back stop hurting.

OldGuy

Quote from: rltw2017 on January 14, 2020, 01:32:21 PM
It'd be a cold day downstairs before our Sqd PAO allowed anyone except herself to post to our Facebook page. She guards that thing like a dragon's gold.
Wing regularly deleted or edited my posts. Often they denied same when showed proof they then claimed obscure violations of non-existent regulations as the reason. I am told my old unit now only has posting privileges and not admin. This is why I left that wing.

OldGuy

Quote from: rltw2017 on January 13, 2020, 04:00:54 AM
At the end of the day we're volunteers, and if certain full timers who have lost an appreciation for the diligent work of unpaid members can't make sense of that for what it is, then I'd recommend not sweating their opinion and working to improve and change what you're capable of improving and changing.
Imagine being the 7th PAO in a row after beatdowns from above, at some point volunteers for that job dry up and the unit CC becomes the "default" and simply does nothing, keeping us "the best kept secret" that they claim to hate. Very odd behavior. The lack of respect for the volunteer is amazing.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Holding Pattern on January 13, 2020, 05:41:39 PM

Meh. I was simply threatened with a suspension. Was given under an hour to decide. Unfortunately let the squadron talk me out of it (we were at the meeting when I got that call). Ended up resigning a week or so later anyway.

Eclipse

Quote from: JohhnyD on January 14, 2020, 06:01:09 AM
Some Wing PAO types are taking control of local social media. Not regulation, but it is happening. So much for local squadron control!

Those "Wing PAO types" are volunteers like everyone else, inconsistently trained, mixed experience,
possibly taking the role on as a 5th job when they originally joined to fly or GSAR or something.

I'm the first person to call out higher HQs, especially NHQ, for shenanigans, 1/2-baked "iders", and errors
of both omission and commission, but at some point it's on you and the local CC if people vertical or horizontal are
directing actions that cause you angst.

The first time it's an anomaly, and you take the actions to correct understanding.  The second time you
have to start making decisions as to whether it's you that needs correcting, and by the third time
you need to either draw the line or disengage, but just sitting back and wearing it as histrionics
isn't going to help or fix anything, and its especially unhealthy for the respective member.

I've had more then a few occasions where I realized that things would not change, so I needed to
bid the activity, unit, or the organization as a whole, adieu.  In some cases, reality set in and my
phone rang, in others, all parties moved on.  Angst was left (mostly) at the door.

It's both amusing and disappointing when people think that an organization like CAP is going to
be somehow immune to the same foibles, politics, and frailties that every other PTA, condo board,
local council, FD, LEA, the military, and corporate organizations are subject to.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on January 14, 2020, 04:24:57 PM

It's both amusing and disappointing when people think that an organization like CAP is going to
be somehow immune to the same foibles, politics, and frailties that every other PTA, condo board,
local council, FD, LEA, the military, and the corporate organization is subject to.

Love it.  Absolute truth right there. And had me rolling on the floor, thinking of how many members go ballistic when you try to compare CAP with a PTA or condo board, etc. LOL

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

rltw2017

Those "Wing PAO types" are volunteers like everyone else, inconsistently trained, mixed experience,
possibly taking the role on as a 5th job when they originally joined to fly or GSAR or something.

I'm the first person to call out higher HQs, especially NHQ, for shenanigans, 1/2-baked "iders", and errors
of both omission and commission, but at some point it's on you and the local CC if people vertical or horizontal are

The first time it's an anomaly, and you take the actions to correct understanding.  The second time you
have to start making decisions as to whether it's you that needs correcting, and by the third time
you need to either draw the line or disengage, but just sitting back and wearing it as histrionics
isn't going to help or fix anything, and its especially unhealthy for the respective member.

I've had more then a few occasions where I realized that things would not change, so I needed to
bid the activity, unit, or the organization as a whole, adieu.  In some cases, reality set in and my
phone rang, in others, all parties moved on.  Angst was left (mostly) at the door.

local council, FD, LEA, the military, and corporate organizations are subject to.

A lot of problems, this one included, could be solved with a CC that is willing to put his/her tail on the line for their people. Leaders are supposed to serve their subordinates, not their superiors.
TSgt, CAP
SSG, INARNG

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: rltw2017 on January 14, 2020, 06:34:10 PM

A lot of problems, this one included, could be solved with a CC that is willing to put his/her tail on the line for their people. Leaders are supposed to serve their subordinates, not their superiors.

It happens. I've seen it. What ends up happening is a la Saturday Night Massacre, until someone is happy to carry out the orders.

Eclipse

Quote from: rltw2017 on January 14, 2020, 06:34:10 PM

Yes, exactly.  Too many CC's just understandably take the path of least resistance.

Which is fair, because who wants to deal with office politics during their volunteer time?
But it's a big part of the gig.  Without that, all you have is status quo and station keeping.

"That Others May Zoom"

rltw2017

Yeah we should swing this back to the PAO topic instead of a heated discussion about the role of NCOs in CAP

(NOTE: Thread drift on NCO topic split out into its own topic here:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=24813.0 -NIN)
TSgt, CAP
SSG, INARNG

Eclipse

Quote from: rltw2017 on January 14, 2020, 09:37:38 PM
Yeah we should swing this back to the PAO topic instead of a heated discussion about the role of NCOs in CAP

With that said, the OP never provided any followup as to what it actually means in a context.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP9907

21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

NIN

(NOTE: Thread drift on NCO topic split out into its own topic here:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=24813.0 -NIN)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.