Quick question on cadet to senior transfer

Started by I_Am_Twigs, June 23, 2021, 06:56:01 AM

Blanding

Quote from: Fubar on June 28, 2021, 06:49:17 AMWhile they are in the book as discretionary, I've never seen anyone not get their automatic promotion. Any kind of wavering turns on the drama so fast that no commander wants to deal with it and just signs it.

If there was some kind of meaning or value to CAP rank I suspect people would take the discretionary part more seriously.

I was a former cadet officer who didn't get an automatic promotion, but I agree with you regarding the importance of CAP rank, so I didn't care to ask twice for it.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 28, 2021, 12:42:14 PMAll of the lateral promotions to Capt show Spaatz and SFO. Do you still get Capt as a non Spaatz SFO? Or is it 1LT?

According to the regulation, advanced promotion to officer grade is based on only on achievement in the cadet program - intermediate promotions in FO grades do not count.

On the other hand, time-in-grade as SFO counts towards the 30 month requirement for duty promotion to Capt.

So: if you get your Earhart and on your 18th birthday transfer to the FO grades as a TFO, then spend 30 months in that grade, complete Level III, and promote to SFO at age 20.5, then move to the officer grade structure, you will initially be a 1st Lt but with six months of your time-in-grade requirement satisfied for the Capt duty promotion.

That seems pretty rough to me; you end up spending effectively 54 months at TFO/1st Lt. Unclear whether that's the desired outcome or whether something got missed when updating the regulation.

MSG Mac

The appointment to Officer grade is NOT AUTOMATIC, the commander must submit a CAPF 2.(just like any other appointment).  Commander must also send a letter to Professional Development asking for any PD credits that come with the cadet award.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JohhnyD

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 28, 2021, 12:42:14 PMMaybe a goofy question here

All of the lateral promotions to Capt show Spaatz and SFO. Do you still get Capt as a non Spaatz SFO? Or is it 1LT?
The ONLY SFO's I have ever heard of were Spaatzen.

Spam

Quote from: JohhnyD on June 28, 2021, 10:19:31 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on June 28, 2021, 12:42:14 PMMaybe a goofy question here

All of the lateral promotions to Capt show Spaatz and SFO. Do you still get Capt as a non Spaatz SFO? Or is it 1LT?
The ONLY SFO's I have ever heard of were Spaatzen.

Well, pal, now you know another (me). I went senior member in college (because only SMs could fly operationally in those days and I wanted to FLY) and converted to the FO grade structure where I gained TIG which applied for promotion at age 21. I very briefly was a 1LT then rapidly promoted Captain due to SFO TIG. Then, it all factored into making Lt Col by age 29, where I've been happily stalled for over two decades. I doubt anyone wants to see me as a full bird.

V/r
Spam

GaryVC

These days all SM promotions require Level 1 and Part 1 of Level 2.