Main Menu

Level 2 Part One

Started by SARDOC, September 07, 2020, 05:00:53 PM

SARDOC

In the scheme of the new professional development program, I'm trying to find out a reference that can tell me what Part One is for Level Two. 

With the new ICL that came out in August, it's holding up certain promotions because nobody can seem to tell me what it is. 

Any ideas would be helpful.  Thanks

arajca

Education and Training: Level II

There is a link above the specialty track pamphlets to the Level II materials.

jb3

The problem is that most, if not all, squadrons are not able to conduct the training yet. The grand plan of Volunteer University may have had too ambitious a timeline. And no beta test period didn't really help. The concept has value but the implementation gets an F for a grade. My unit also has promotions being held up and new members wondering what they got themselves into with a program that can't even conduct the training that we say is 'mandatory'.

arajca

Have they tried to get into a cohort?

jb3

Yes. The cohort requests haven't received a response. And to be honest, the squadron should be able to train members through Level 1 right away. We've submitted our "resumes" and applications to be instructors but VU is way behind and entirely unable to get instructors authorized to train the very basic material that some of us have been teaching for decades already.

And to make the issue more critical, we have members who can't complete cadet protection training because the system says they have to finish level 1, but they can't finish level 1 because of the Volunteer University failure to launch. So we have members who joined to be part of CAP and they have to sit on the sidelines and wait until Volunteer University gets caught up with the membership.

I am fully on board with the new PD system and agree that we need to stay current. I also don't mind getting refresher training as an instructor. Although I've been doing this for nearly 30 years, things change so its good to get refreshed. But the concept of VU should have went through a thorough beta test before ending all other means of completing professional development. We are getting a backlog and that should not be acceptable.

Eclipse

Only CAP could have a backlog of in-doc training at the same time it is experiencing
the largest membership loss in probably its history.

Someone needs to uncheck a box fast until they get this worked out.  The last thing
CAP needs right now is people walking because they can't even get L1 done.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: arajca on September 07, 2020, 05:24:10 PMEducation and Training: Level II

There is a link above the specialty track pamphlets to the Level II materials.

Thanks for the link, that is all I can find, but it's not clear what "Part I of Level two" is?

Eclipse

Well, I just looked through the modules, and while it appears to be some good content,
probably (mostly) long-needed, I can't make heads or tails of what is considered "Part I of Level II",
but what's great is that NHQ hasn't purged anything from the old docs, so all the searches bring
up inapplicable content, with no 1-2-3 guide (apparently to be found).

Comm Comms all around!

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Page 23 of CAPR 40-1 shows which modules are Part 1 and Part 2 of Level II for new members.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

old141pilot

Quote from: jb3 on September 08, 2020, 12:21:32 AMThe problem is that most, if not all, squadrons are not able to conduct the training ..... that we say is 'mandatory'.

Question: The old orientation literature states that Level 1 should be completed in about a month. Given the current startup problems, what would be a "more responsible" estimate for Level 1 approval to share with prospective Seniors?

Nikos

I can't figure out how to move to Level II.  I completed level I, Axis shows that I did.  The Squadron Commander gave me my cadet protection discussion.  So as far as I can determine I am ready to move to Level II, but I don't understand how to.  Any suggestions?  Should I contact National HQ?

arajca

Did your commander enter the CPP discussion completion?

Lord of the North

There are now 19 tasks that must be completed in Level I for completion of that level.
You can find what you have or have not completed at
https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.ProfessionalLevels.Web/Reports/MemberPathStatus

Nikos

Yes Sir he did.  But when I first sign in I get the message that I need complete CPP and Level I, so I go to Axis and it reads complete.  Perhaps it is something to do with the change over to Axis.  I will take another look, thanks.

Nikos

I think I figured it out now.  Level 1 Group 2 says; Cadet Basic Protection Course, Approved. Summary Conversation, Pending.  Then there is another Summary Conversation, Approved.  Thanks for the help.

dwb

As a Wing DET, this is the #1 question I get.

If you completed Level I in the old system, but have not yet completed Level II, you need to be enrolled in a Member Path. Once you're enrolled in the Path you will see all of the Level II modules in AXIS, for Part 1 and Part 2. Your ETO can help you get into a Path.

There are only a couple Part 1 modules that require an instructor; most are self-study. Check out the Virtual In-Residence (VIR) program for a timely way to get those instructor-led modules knocked out. The best way is with a local VOLU instructor, but VIR is the second-best way. The VIR calendar and info is available on this page.

It's not worth enrolling in an online cohort for Level II. Better to do the self-study modules then use VIR or a local instructor to complete the rest.

As for the Level I question above, it is all self-study except the cadet protection summary conversation. Your commander, deputy, or ETO can conduct that with you. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and you can do it over the phone.

dwb

BTW, I was also miffed when the new CAPR 35-5 ICL rolled out and all initial promotions required Level II Part 1, with no grandfather period. It caught everyone who joined in the first half of 2020 off guard, and I've been working with several squadrons to get their folks eligible for promotion in a timely fashion.

Nikos

Thanks for the advice!