Testing schedule

Started by Toetheline, October 02, 2018, 11:57:28 AM

Toetheline

What do all your squadrons do for their testing schedules?
Some background to the question... We have a tiny squadron with most cadets are C/A or C/A1c. All of our cadet leadership has moved on in the last year and we only have one stationary cadet staff. We also have a very "green" SM staff with only 9 active members any many positions left unfilled. We do have a few testing officers but nothing is in a schedule. Most nights we are expected to stay late because this cadet or that cadet wants to promote and needs drill done or doesn't have their paperwork filled out. This seems like a poor planning issue, that could be fixed with a set schedule and no exceptions. So I am looking for information on what other squadrons do. In my book ( I am a black and white, toe the line type person) this is not teaching responsibility, preparedness or Excellence in any way. And I personally don't think they should promote if they can't plan ahead and get their stuff together themself.  Maybe I am too hard on such a green squadron.   (I'm a bit green myself but expected excellence in this type of program.) 

Luis R. Ramos

You start with a yearly calendar, listing everything you want to accomplish.

One of the Cadet Programs has a list of all the hourly-by-month topics to be covered. If you have a such yearly schedule listing when the testing will be done, the late meetings will lessen.

All this starts when a) seniors agree to work together and b) one of the seniors starts working as a Cadet Programs Officer. The following publications are to be read and abided with.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/CAPR_601__Cadet_Program_Management__36D2A228D5925.pdf

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPP_6011_CP_Handbook__Specialty_Tr_0D421DCA3193B.pdf

There is a long road ahead. But start working together, is the first part.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

My last round as CC all Leadership testing was done online, and drill or milestone tests had a requirement that
they be requested one week in advance.

Flexibility for unforeseen situations is important, but you can't have cadets randomly raising their
hand in the middle of a meeting saying "I need a drill test now."  (BTDT).

Successful squadrons have well-planned meetings.  It's important for everyone to be able to prepare
in advance and understand what is expected of them in a given week.

Side note:  Interesting that you say you have "several" Testing Officers, since these days most
units don't need more then one and maybe a backup

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2018, 12:54:19 PM
My last round as CC all Leadership testing was done online, and drill or milestone tests had a requirement that
they be requested one week in advance.

For us, we do:
- Online testing for all
- Drill tests scheduled one week out
- Milestone tests scheduled one week out

*The cadets request the test.
**Written testing accommodations can be made on request. Special testing accommodations can be coordinated with the parents in accordance with Cadet Programs regulations (e.g., IEP, orally administered tests, etc.).

QuoteFlexibility for unforeseen situations is important, but you can't have cadets randomly raising their
hand in the middle of a meeting saying "I need a drill test now."  (BTDT).

Doesn't happen. Not allowed. Won't permit it.

QuoteSuccessful squadrons have well-planned meetings.  It's important for everyone to be able to prepare
in advance and understand what is expected of them in a given week.

We publish monthly schedules that are available to everyone. They are sent out electronically, posted on Google Drive, and paper copies posted at Squadron HQ.

QuoteSide note:  Interesting that you say you have "several" Testing Officers, since these days most
units don't need more then one and maybe a backup

I'm the Primary Testing Officer. I have two Assistants:
- Leadership Education Officer
- Aerospace Education Officer

This leaves me able to step aside during test administration but still supervise the process, and puts points of contact for assistance with the Leadership curriculum and Aerospace curriculum with the responsible persons.

This is one of those "nobody else wants the Primary slot" things. There's really no work involved. But it always seems to end up with "How do I" questions coming to me since I'm the only one who apparently presses my nose into the regulation book.

What we like to do is build a calendar for the entire year, just tentative dates. We have a monthly meeting format in which the weeks are relatively the same. Knowing in advance gives us the ability to know what our schedule looks like so we can add additional activities or swap classes if we have things that just come up. We also note who the appropriate cadet instructors are (duty positions, not names) and the appropriate senior member supervisor for that type of class.

If you don't mind me asking, Toetheline --- what's your duty position in your unit? And what staff does your unit currently have? What roles are filled?

Spaceman3750

We offer the opportunity for all to test online at the squadron on 1st Tuesday. Milestone re-takes are allowed on 3rd Tuesday. Drill tests are offered the 3rd Tuesday of every months. In all cases cadets must self-identify that they need a test.

No paper testing is allowed any more - we shredded all of our controlled materials early this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester

I consolidated all promotion tasks to the 2nd Tuesday of the month (barring extenuating circumstances), after PT.  I have cadets sign up via Google form for what they need, with the cutoff for signing up the day prior.  So drill tests, milestone exams, boards, speeches, etc are all concurrently conducted, with a SM responsible for each event.  Having lots of assistant testing officers helps.  So while the DCC is handling promotion boards, another is proctoring any online milestone exams, another is scoring drill tests, and any cadets left over are the rent-a-crowd for speeches (SDA, Armstrong, etc). 

It can get hectic, but it's better than it was before the switch.  Took a year or so to get completely down pat.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Jester on October 02, 2018, 03:28:36 PM
I consolidated all promotion tasks to the 2nd Tuesday of the month (barring extenuating circumstances), after PT.  I have cadets sign up via Google form for what they need, with the cutoff for signing up the day prior. 

How do your cadets access the form? Is it linked on your website, or do they go into Drive and access it?

I've liked the idea for electronic sign-ups because then I can get the email notification, along with our other Testing Officers, rather than waiting around for chain of command to forward a request or the wrong person being emailed (happens all the time).

Jester

I make a new form each month and send it via email. I also include the link in the weekly announcements email I send.

If they don't check their email they're out of luck. If I have a testing slot open and a cadet isn't signing up on their own volition for an extended amount of time, I'll schedule it for them and let them know "you have a drill test next week, be ready".

It's a balance of making them accountable and encouraging them along at the same time.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Jester on October 02, 2018, 03:56:31 PM
I make a new form each month and send it via email. I also include the link in the weekly announcements email I send.

That's doable. My only thing is that it's just another administrative task to perform.

Do you do a weekly announcement to the entire unit or just top-tier staff?

QuoteIf they don't check their email they're out of luck. If I have a testing slot open and a cadet isn't signing up on their own volition for an extended amount of time, I'll schedule it for them and let them know "you have a drill test next week, be ready".

It's a balance of making them accountable and encouraging them along at the same time.

Yeah, I'll do the same. To an extent, it's grade-dependent. It's definitely something I bring up in a review: "So you want this additional responsibility over others, but where is your personal responsibility when it comes to sign-ups for your own advancement?"

Jester

I'll do the verbal announcements at the meeting, then send a roll-up to every member and parent the next day including POCs for each event, signup links, etc.

It's a little work to get started, but eventually you're just removing old ones and adding new ones weekly. I also put a quick summary of each weekly meeting and UOD that month.

I only include activities from the current and subsequent month, unless it's something like encampment.

Eclipse

In our case, we insured the links for the sign-up form, calendar, and similar were at the end of every meeting
announcement, general message, attendance log forms, (with QR-Codes), etc., etc.   I also included
upcoming events for the unit and wider range at the end of all messages.

I used a URL shortner to insure the text strings didn't break the messages.

We expected all members to give us a yea or nay on each meeting, and to indicate what
they intended to to for that meeting.  All pull-downs for name, activity, date, everything.
Accessible from anything with internet, would take about 30 seconds to complete, was still too
much trouble to be bothered for far too many, to their chagrin when the "thing" they intended wasn't on the docket.

Staff who needed the into, cadet and senior, had the form notifications turned on so they could see who wanted
what as they responded.  Reminder emails were sent by the Sunday before the next Tuesday meeting, but
the form was available at any time so you use it "whenever".

You don't want to know how many email I received with "what form?"' "where is it?", blah, blah,
which were actually replies to an email that contained the links.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Jester on October 02, 2018, 04:57:06 PM
I'll do the verbal announcements at the meeting, then send a roll-up to every member and parent the next day including POCs for each event, signup links, etc.

It's a little work to get started, but eventually you're just removing old ones and adding new ones weekly. I also put a quick summary of each weekly meeting and UOD that month.

I only include activities from the current and subsequent month, unless it's something like encampment.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your duty position(s)?

I don't mean to sidetrack the OP's thread at all. I'm just idea sniping here.

In my role as CDC / Testing Officer / Safety Officer / and Assistant PAO, I perform or oversee:

• Weekly/monthly schedules
  • Annual planning outline
  • Website schedule updates
  • Social media updates (including promotions/awards photos)
  • Monthly Safety Education
  • Activity ORMs
  • Test and review board scheduling
  • Cadet promotion and award certificates
  • Administration of cadet personnel (duty assignments, promotion data entries, etc.
  • SDA reviews and feedback
  • Cadet counseling and progression oversight (mostly cadet officers and senior cadet NCOs)
  • Review of cadet attendance and briefing the Commander on issues/corrections
  • Parent interfaces and issues
+Finance Committee

Anything to help be more efficient is a huge plus to me. I've spent three years knowing how much work it is to run a Cadet Program, and I've taken a lot of heat when it doesn't perform to par despite not having a lot of assistance in the completion of tasks and projects. So it would be great to alleviate some of the burden here.

It's not to say I don't have a willing staff. It's that they don't necessarily accomplish what they're assigned, and they aren't very autonomous (feels like babysitting sometimes).

I need a break just after writing all of that. Jeez.

Jester

At the time I worked this policy into existence I was CDC, assistant testing officer, assistant leadership officer, CDI, assistant AEO. I had a few seniors on CP staff and used cadet leadership where I could.

I very recently transferred to a smaller unit and am assistant CDC, helping them build up. I intend on using this same method when we get the cadet numbers up.

I found that parents felt in the dark because cadets don't write anything down and the various levels of CAP send a deluge of emails that may or may not be relevant. Having it all in one place in their inbox 1-2 days post-meeting bought me some goodwill on the parent end too.

Toetheline

First off I want to thank you all for a lot of good info. I will take these ideas back to our Squadren and see if we can't get some order to the kaos. As for my position I am simply a SM still, due to some computer clitches that won't let us get testing dates and interviews recorded. So I wait. When it all goes through I will be PFO snd SO.  Our problems arise because our squad is so heavy with new members including SMs. When my children and I joined last February there were only 2 active SMs the Lt. Comander and his wife who were taking on far to many roles and Who are looking to be done because their kids have all finished with the program. The rest of us active SMs stepped in about the same time, some that had been there before but were not very involved. So we are all charting new territory with not much guidance. This is also what is causing the cadet troubles. Lack of guidence from leadership.  So since I am naturally a type A personality, I am looking for answers to bring order to the kaos. And so I can get home at a decent time to put littles to bed. 😊

Eclipse

You should be reaching to higher HQ (Group or Wing) for assistance so that you don't have
to wander in the dark so much.

(However don't call Ludwig Von Siegfried, he will just mess things up, and no one has seen Mr. Big since the 60's.)

Also, unlike other areas of the program, the CP is pretty specific, and if you read the curriculum carefully, and just follow the guidelines,
most of what you need should be there, and fairly clear.

"That Others May Zoom"