The Passing of ARCHER

Started by smithwr2, December 18, 2013, 06:33:20 PM

smithwr2

I was curious as to the status of ARCHER - Airborne Real-time Cueing Hyperspectral Enhanced.
The NHQ website still describes training for a special few on a highly-competitive basis.  So I submitted a question to Knowledgebase about this training:

Hi Knowledgebase, I am a MP and  I am interested in attending the 5-day ARCHER training at NHQ.  I am familiar with the application process, screening process, exam, nomination, etc.  listed elsewhere on Knowledgebase.

Question:  when is the next scheduled formal ARCHER training at NHQ?  I request this information to plan the application timing and also my personal schedule, if selected.

In case the most recent well-aged posts on CAPTALK for ARCHER dating back to mid-2000s was not a clue, here is the response from a knowledgeable person at NHQ regarding the status of ARCHER (2013):

Response Via Email(KB Manager) - 12/11/2013 07:03 AM ARCHER training will no longer be conducted on a national scale.  The systems are reaching their useful life, many have already had to be retired, and we will likely only be supporting training in the local area of the few remaining systems.

I hope to find some local training opportunities, even though ARCHER is long in the tooth.  If anyone knows of a plane and ARCHER system in the Pacific NW, and wants to do some training on ARCHER, let me know and lets go flying.

Randy Smith CAP Capt
PCR-WA-015

SJFedor

Quote from: smithwr2 on December 18, 2013, 06:33:20 PM
I was curious as to the status of ARCHER - Airborne Real-time Cueing Hyperspectral Enhanced.
The NHQ website still describes training for a special few on a highly-competitive basis.  So I submitted a question to Knowledgebase about this training:

Hi Knowledgebase, I am a MP and  I am interested in attending the 5-day ARCHER training at NHQ.  I am familiar with the application process, screening process, exam, nomination, etc.  listed elsewhere on Knowledgebase.

Question:  when is the next scheduled formal ARCHER training at NHQ?  I request this information to plan the application timing and also my personal schedule, if selected.

In case the most recent well-aged posts on CAPTALK for ARCHER dating back to mid-2000s was not a clue, here is the response from a knowledgeable person at NHQ regarding the status of ARCHER (2013):

Response Via Email(KB Manager) - 12/11/2013 07:03 AM ARCHER training will no longer be conducted on a national scale.  The systems are reaching their useful life, many have already had to be retired, and we will likely only be supporting training in the local area of the few remaining systems.

I hope to find some local training opportunities, even though ARCHER is long in the tooth.  If anyone knows of a plane and ARCHER system in the Pacific NW, and wants to do some training on ARCHER, let me know and lets go flying.

Randy Smith CAP Capt
PCR-WA-015

Unfortunately, it's pretty much dead technology. It's also a lot more complicated than "flip the switch, lets go fly and i'll figure it out". There's a lot of nuiances to flying an ARCHER profile, and it's really not something you can just learn OTJ. You have to spend some pretty serious classroom time to understand how the system and it's components work. That's why there was only the national program to qualify people on how to fly it; it's actually THAT intensive. The last few years that NHQ did the operator training, a lot of it was done at NESA in Indiana.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

a2capt

It was also a big time GoB network magnet, with the initial selection test being a one time ever, pass or fail being a perfect gateway to it. :(

arajca

IIRC, there are only 4 functioning (mostly) ARCHER units left. The units were all prototypes, so there are no replacements available and the manufacturer has refused to allow anyone else to make the custom parts for it.

As they fail, if parts can ge cannabilized from the other failed ARCHER units, they will do that, otherwise the units wind up in the cannabil feeding trough and the aircraft get repurposed.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: arajca on December 18, 2013, 09:55:22 PM
the aircraft get repurposed.

You know, that sliding door on the GA-8 has like an 80kt limitation.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on December 18, 2013, 10:20:35 PM

A three bladed prop wouldn't hurt either. It has the climb performance of a brick.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2013, 11:18:25 PM
Quote from: NIN

A three bladed prop wouldn't hurt either. It has the climb performance of a brick.

I don't need that much climb performance...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

You might with the full ~4000 lbs on board!

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Do you mean with it open?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: NIN on December 19, 2013, 01:22:26 AM

So you like long rides up to jump altitude? >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: PHall on December 19, 2013, 01:58:41 AM

How long does it take to get to 800-1200 feet AGL?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

scooter

I have a little over 100hr in the G8 and too many Archer missions. Its the most uncomfortable airplane I have ever flown but a nice stable platform. Seems to me it would be a good airplane to put another, simpler, camera system in that has some gimbals so it could take those overhead pictures that FEMA likes so much. Oh yea, about 50 more horsepower would help too!
Archer's days are definitely numbered. No parts.

PHall

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 19, 2013, 02:49:49 AM

Jump altitude is usually a bit higher, say 12,500 agl. We're not talking military static line jumps here.

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on December 19, 2013, 01:56:39 AM
Do you mean with it open?

Yup.

I was wrong: 100 kts

Quote from: PHall on December 19, 2013, 05:04:57 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on December 19, 2013, 02:49:49 AM
Jump altitude is usually a bit higher, say 12,500 agl. We're not talking military static line jumps here.

Listed climb performance is 788ft/min (as Phil said, not exactly a barn-burner there!), but I believe that is at Max Gross/MTOW.  A pilot and 1-2 pax, 1/2 tanks, you're looking at 1,200 fpm.

Who needs 12,500? I was suggesting it as a repurposed platform for the "Wings of Ultramarine" :)  4,000 AGL is about all anybody really needs.  LOL.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

Wing's of Ultramarine!  I'm there!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Seeing a CAP plane with ARCHER is like seeing someone in 2013 walking around with a cell phone with an extendable antenna and a battery bag.  Just get that dead weight off the planes and be done.   One time Pass/Fail opportunity?  Give me a break.

Eclipse

Don't forget the "chase vehicle" since the "ground station" was too heavy to be transported in the aircraft.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

Good ridance!!!!!  21 million tax-payers dollars down the drain.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Well, it's not 100% wasted, unless the ARCHER gear itself cost that much alone, in which case I'll need
to go lay down for a while.

We still have the planes, and about 10 people who can fly them, so there's that.

Oh, and a lot of obsolete laptops!  Don't forget those!

"That Others May Zoom"