Squadron Leadership Course

Started by RiChArD7032, February 20, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

RiChArD7032

I'd like to put together a one or two day course to help our cadet staff hone their skills and learn new ones.

I know there must be some of you who have invented the wheel already and might be willing to share your work. If you'd be willing to share your thoughts, lesson plans, schedules, etc. It would help me get further down a road towards a better cadet squadron.

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ozzy

A great resource that I don't see a lot of squadrons using is the Squadron Training Plan that was created by National. If you use it in conjunction with the other resources that National provides, you have an amazing base to launch from.

Find it here:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library/squadron-training-plans/
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

RiChArD7032

Quote from: Ozzy on February 20, 2018, 03:29:38 AM
A great resource that I don't see a lot of squadrons using is the Squadron Training Plan that was created by National. If you use it in conjunction with the other resources that National provides, you have an amazing base to launch from.

Find it here:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library/squadron-training-plans/
Thanks. I saw this for the first time last week. I couldn't believe that this was out there. Where was this when I was a cadet.

Great start. But I'm also looking for specific materials. I'll keep looking and post what I find.

Ozzy

Well what do you mean by hone their skills? If you mean for planning and executing the squadron meeting, the weekly squadron meeting planner sheet is a great resource when used. Another resource is the CAPP 60-31, the Cadet staff handbook. That handbook alone could be the majority of your training weekend. Perhaps take a look at some of the topics brought up for TLC, some of that could be an asset. Also I have a slideshow for the changes from CAPR 52-16 to CAPR 60-1 if you want me to send it to you.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

RiChArD7032

Quote from: Ozzy on February 20, 2018, 04:36:23 AM
Well what do you mean by hone their skills? If you mean for planning and executing the squadron meeting, the weekly squadron meeting planner sheet is a great resource when used. Another resource is the CAPP 60-31, the Cadet staff handbook. That handbook alone could be the majority of your training weekend. Perhaps take a look at some of the topics brought up for TLC, some of that could be an asset. Also I have a slideshow for the changes from CAPR 52-16 to CAPR 60-1 if you want me to send it to you.
I'm taking the TLC course in March, looking forward to that. You're right, the staff book is a great source. If you'd like to send me the slides, that would be great. Thank you. I'll pm my email to you.

TheSkyHornet

to help our cadet staff hone their skills and learn new ones

What skills, specifically? That's the starting point.

BraveRifles19D

Quote from: Ozzy on February 20, 2018, 03:29:38 AM

Find it here:

I brought this up with the cadet staff in my squadron since they are always having trouble coming up with ideas for meetings and there response was to paraphrase "That's cool and all, but we're gonna do our own thing".

NIN

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on February 23, 2018, 04:10:09 PM
I brought this up with the cadet staff in my squadron since they are always having trouble coming up with ideas for meetings and there response was to paraphrase "That's cool and all, but we're gonna do our own thing".

I swear I'm like this when I hear that:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

blombardo

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on February 20, 2018, 02:12:52 AM
I'd like to put together a one or two day course to help our cadet staff hone their skills and learn new ones.
Thanks in advance.
Richard

Our PA wing offers Squadron leadership courses - I will be attending one in a couple weeks.

These used to be 2 day courses but are now broken down into a FOUR part Pre course - I'm on part 1 - each part is about 90 minutes of reading/watching/ then typing up responses...

The actual meeting day will include discussing the things we typed up.

-Are you saying that your Wing doesnt have such a course?  I thought these were created by national...?

I could link you to my own class materials after I complete them... some of the links in my 'class' are actually generic leadership training aids and videos posted online for various corporate use.

Sr Member Brian Lombardo, CAP
Squadron123, IT, PAO, Logistics
PA Group 6, Assistant IT
Facebook Page-squadron123g6
Facebook Group -squadron123g6
Twitter /squadron123g6

Angus

Quote from: blombardo on March 14, 2018, 12:49:41 PM
Quote from: RiChArD7032 on February 20, 2018, 02:12:52 AM
Thanks in advance.
Richard

Our PA wing offers Squadron leadership courses - I will be attending one in a couple weeks.

These used to be 2 day courses but are now broken down into a FOUR part Pre course - I'm on part 1 - each part is about 90 minutes of reading/watching/ then typing up responses...

The actual meeting day will include discussing the things we typed up.

-Are you saying that your Wing doesnt have such a course?  I thought these were created by national...?

I could link you to my own class materials after I complete them... some of the links in my 'class' are actually generic leadership training aids and videos posted online for various corporate use.

What TC was asking about was a course for our cadets.  It sounds like you might be refereeing to SLS which is material for seniors and not cadets. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

blombardo

Re reading the first post I see that the goal here is more of an all inclusive class to cover various topics...   my current leadership school would only cover a small aspect of that.

One helpful post I can refer to the OP is here:
PAO  - internet - media - networking- training for everyone - hour long video  https://plus.google.com/events/cn1qmuirpmkr4a05b8lljue8mvc

It may be included in some various form of training but I found it on accident and bookmarked it.

-

For PA wing the courses are the same - Cadet commanders are 'encouraged' to attend the Senior version of the class.  Its generally not open for the cadets; the handful of cadets I know who have taken it during my time here are the few who are reaching the highest ranks they can achieve in the program...   This could be a new policy; I'm not sure... since I'm new to this program and just prepping for the course now I was involved in discussions about which cadets might want to take the class as well.

So far my course work has been your average 'leadership stuff' that works anywhere with any company or organization, haven't reached the end yet so maybe there will eventually be something that makes it incompatible from Senior to cadet but nothing yet.

Offer stands if someone wants the giant ugly word documents I'm creating as I go along... am more or less copying everything from various sources into one place so our other cadets and seniors will have something to read and prepare for before they go to the class...

PA Group 6, Assistant IT
Twitter /squadron123g6

Eclipse

The best course is to use the materials as provided by NHQ for the required classes.

The wheel exists.  Reinvention should be addressed with the PD Directorate at NHQ, not locally.

The SLS/CLC & TLC are intended to foster localized discussion between peers - the presentations
and slides are not primarily starting points for discussions.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

So, which is worse - homegrown cadet training, or sending cadets to senior member training? Flip a coin I guess.

SarDragon

I see some confusion here.

The OP is asking about cadet leadership training, not SM. Yet much of the discussion has been about SM training.
Let's step back, refocus, and talk about cadet leadership stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

1. Ask you wing Director of Cadet Programs if they have something.
2. CAWG and TXWG have cadet leadership programs (or so I've heard). Check their websites and contact them.

blombardo

I was mistaken; my previous thoughts were from things I overheard in passing. My apologies.

I asked my captain about this at the meeting the other night and it was explained to me that there is a specific course for cadet leadership - part of a required class for promotion to cadet commander.  This class is offered at the same day / time / location as our senior training.  I have a copy of the pre course work that I looked over with my daughter; it is likely a 12 to 20 hour time investment for the course as presented in our area - followed by a two day classroom event.

Info is referenced here:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/activities/leadership-schools/

Now if the OP wants to make a UNIQUE class that has never been done before; I applaud the initiative but can offer no advice as I'm so new to the program I couldn't speak with authority.  You should think up a general topic and take it to your CoC to see if it already has been done.

PA Group 6, Assistant IT
Twitter /squadron123g6

Eclipse

Quote from: blombardo on March 17, 2018, 05:44:12 AMI asked my captain about this at the meeting the other night and it was explained to me that there is a specific course for cadet leadership - part of a required class for promotion to cadet commander.

"Cadet Commander" is a unit staff position and there are no specific training requirements or classes to be appointed.

He may have been referring to the requirement to attend either an RCLS or COS for the Eaker Award (C/Lt Col).

RCLS is 21.5 hours and is often held by Regions or Wings in concert with other Professional Development
activities.  COS is an annual in-residence week-long training activity held at Maxwell which has a fair amount of competition
for entry.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiChArD7032

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Yes, I was primarily referring to leadership classes for the cadets.  There are a lot of resources out there already and I'm sure I can take that info and make it into something unique for our Squadron. 

Cadetter

Send your cadet officers to COS (which Delaware already does; there were 6-7 Delaware cadets there last week).

Some wings hold NCO schools - maybe teach one for your wing?
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

EMT-83

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on July 12, 2018, 06:54:02 PM
There are a lot of resources out there already and I'm sure I can take that info and make it into something unique for our Squadron.

Eclipse said it best: the wheel has already been invented.

The need to make something unique to your squadron doesn't exist.