EFJ Radio Button programming question

Started by Holding Pattern, June 12, 2019, 01:57:42 AM

Holding Pattern

Is there a slide in one of the comm training courses that includes a picture of which buttons are programmed for what? I'm looking to add one to my squadron guides.

SarDragon

I doubt it, but here's what I have:

F1-High/Low Power
F-2 Scan On/Off
F-3 Scan Edit
F-4 Normal Selective
F-5 Clear/Secure
F-6 Key Select

This is the CAWG button set. Your wing may have them programmed differently.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

I think that's the National settings. The only difference would be if you have a radio that's not equipped for encryption. Then F-5 and F-6 would be different, but those vary.

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on June 12, 2019, 12:06:19 PM
I think that's the National settings. The only difference would be if you have a radio that's not equipped for encryption. Then F-5 and F-6 would be different, but those vary.

Our radios are currently not set up for encryption, and when you press F5 or F6, all you get is the error beep.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

Quote from: SarDragon on June 12, 2019, 11:29:56 PM
Quote from: arajca on June 12, 2019, 12:06:19 PM

Our radios are currently not set up for encryption, and when you press F5 or F6, all you get is the error beep.

Shhhh... that's that encryption working.

Brad

For CAP-owned radios, they must comply with the National standard programming plan, current as of 2013. Here's an excerpt (non-FOUO document):

QuoteBUTTONS:  You must NOT reprogram the radio button settings, with two exceptions:
1. For Version 1 Mobile radios ONLY, you may reprogram the "Clear/Secure" and "Key Select" buttons, as these radios are not encryption capable.
2. On the portables, you can program the center side button as desired, though you cannot move any of the existing button functions  to it other than "Keypad lock", which can be moved from the top orange button [if] needed.  Note that this is programmed to "Scan" in the new codeplugs.

For the mobile radios, the buttons are as follows:   
From left to right:
F1: (Above the Mic jack) Hi/Lo Power
F2: Scan
F3: Scan Edit
F4: Normal/Select 
F5: Clear/Secure
F6: Key Select

If you have lost the proper buttons (they pull out, and replacements are simply snapped in), contact
the NTC for replacements.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

JayCraswell

Quote from: Brad on August 02, 2019, 05:45:56 AMFor CAP-owned radios, they must comply with the National standard programming plan, current as of 2013. Here's an excerpt (non-FOUO document):

QuoteBUTTONS:  You must NOT reprogram the radio button settings, with two exceptions:
1. For Version 1 Mobile radios ONLY, you may reprogram the "Clear/Secure" and "Key Select" buttons, as these radios are not encryption capable.
2. On the portables, you can program the center side button as desired, though you cannot move any of the existing button functions  to it other than "Keypad lock", which can be moved from the top orange button [if] needed.  Note that this is programmed to "Scan" in the new codeplugs.

For the mobile radios, the buttons are as follows:   
From left to right:
F1: (Above the Mic jack) Hi/Lo Power
F2: Scan
F3: Scan Edit
F4: Normal/Select 
F5: Clear/Secure
F6: Key Select

If you have lost the proper buttons (they pull out, and replacements are simply snapped in), contact
the NTC for replacements.
For all Corporate owned equipment. If its privately purchased you can do as you wish and without blowing my horn I made a universal plug that I think makes operating the radio dead easy and if you either print out the repeater info for the Wings your interested you will never be on a mission where out of Wing folks can't get on the local repeater (Which happened on two missions I was on - and why I did this)  Plus I put in the Frequencies for the International Space station so if you have the proper Ham Radio license you can talk to an astronaut!  *I also have gobs of other stuff. *Note you need to program the radio for 512 Channel mode (Or 854?) *Can't remember the number but either one gives you twice as many Zones.