Blue BDUs for Senior Members

Started by freema22, January 16, 2019, 02:04:06 PM

freema22

Hello,
I am a new Senior Member, and am starting to procure my uniform pieces. When it comes to the blue BDU field uniform, is there a certain "blue" that is needed? There seem to be lots of different blues available.

Thanks,
Mike

WillTheCommsGuy

vanguardmil.com has the Blue BDU uniform in the correct color. You can get your patches and name tapes there also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamburgee

Quote from: WillTheCommsGuy on January 16, 2019, 02:06:01 PM
vanguardmil.com has the Blue BDU uniform in the correct color. You can get your patches and name tapes there also.

propper.com also has the blue BDU in the same shade.

WillTheCommsGuy

Quote from: hamburgee on January 16, 2019, 02:07:08 PM

I forgot about that site...as I recall, the uniforms were much cheaper then Vanguard

hamburgee

Quote from: WillTheCommsGuy on January 16, 2019, 02:08:30 PM
Quote from: hamburgee on January 16, 2019, 02:07:08 PM

I forgot about that site...as I recall, the uniforms were much cheaper then Vanguard

And higher quality, IMO.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

vorteks

Excuse me but what's the "correct" color exactly? Answer--- No particular shade of "dark blue".

Eclipse

The Propper ones, historically look correct.  The VG ones, at least from a "hey, that's CAP's official supplier" perspective
are fine, though in some cases the color skews to the purple.

Regardless of vendor, LAPD Blue is as close to black as you can get without being black, and are incorrect, though frankly
no one would probably call you out on them.

I bought a set from VG last year and they were fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

tribalelder

With blue BDU, you'll have a fabric choice (and therefore mistake) available. Top and bottom are supposed to match.  Poly-cotton ripstop wears well and is colorfast; 100% cotton is a little more breathable but is more prone to color fading.

Boots optional!

Black leather belt okay.

Civilian outerwear allowed, or that same black fleece you can wear with golf shirt or aviator shirt. 

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Eclipse

Quote from: tribalelder on January 16, 2019, 06:12:05 PMBoots optional!

"5.2.1.7. Footwear. Socks black shoes or booand black combat boots are mandatory with this uniform."

Besides, do you have any idea how hard it is to find "booand" boots anymore?

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2019, 06:27:10 PM
Quote from: tribalelder on January 16, 2019, 06:12:05 PMBoots optional!

"5.2.1.7. Footwear. Socks black shoes or booand black combat boots are mandatory with this uniform."

Besides, do you have any idea how hard it is to find "booand" boots anymore?

Its been many years since I have seen a set of those myself

SarDragon

The BBDUs I got from Vanguard a bunch of years ago were Propper brand.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

To get the most out of your BBDU uniform get the Propper brand in Dark Blue. They are the best brand, quality wise out there. They have the rip-stop poly-cotton.
Follow the laundering instructions on the label (cold wash, dry on medium heat permanent press setting) and you should get many years use out of them.
I have some 5 year old ones that have faded very little, mostly because I followed these instructions.
I also don't starch mine either, just heat and steam. But that's your option. YMMV.

Fester

Looks like Propper has changed the names of the colors.  I'm pretty sure that these two items in "LAPD Navy" is correct.  Make sure you get the correct pocket configuration too.  4 on the blouse, 6 on the trousers.  At $25 per piece right now, it's less than half of what you'd pay at Vanguard. 

https://www.propper.com/propper-uniform-bdu-coat.html
https://www.propper.com/propper-uniform-bdu-trouser.html
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996