ABU Patchers and Badge

Started by Xylathialus, November 20, 2023, 11:45:38 PM

Xylathialus

Can someone please provide some clarity on the total number of four badges and patches worn on the ABU.  The AFI makes a distinction between Graduate Patches vice Organizational and Indentifier patches, but CAPR 39-1 does not.   

Am I correct in reading CAPR 39-1 to mean if you wear a Wing or Squadron patch it counts towards the total of patches/badges (Pilot Wings, NCSA patches, ES patches, etc.) that can be worn on the ABU?

Eclipse

Quote from: Xylathialus on November 20, 2023, 11:45:38 PMAm I correct in reading CAPR 39-1 to mean if you wear a Wing or Squadron patch it counts towards the total of patches/badges (Pilot Wings, NCSA patches, ES patches, etc.) that can be worn on the ABU?

Yes.

See the diagrams on page 71:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_391_with_ICL_2101_Incorporated_5660EEB90E0DB.pdf

If you have a Command Badge it's five.

The published reasoning was to walk the uniform away from the NASCAR look.

"That Others May Zoom"

Xylathialus

So the diagrams on page 71 don't show all possible combinations but are simple examples to illustrate placement so I'm not convinced the diagrams are a definitive answer. 

I'm still unconvinced about the correct answer, but since posting this, according to the Mid-Atlantic Region, the Wing shoulder sleeve patch does not count towards the 4 maximum patches/batches per CAPR 39-1 (and that aligns with AFI 36-2903).

arajca

ES patches are not authorized on the ABU. Ref.CAPR 39-1, Att. 4.

SarDragon

We are primarily governed by CAPR 39-1. The AFR is a parent reg, in that it is the basis for 39-1, but we are not directly under its purview. There are differences, and in those instances 39-1 takes precedence.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Xylathialus on November 21, 2023, 12:53:32 AMSo the diagrams on page 71 don't show all possible combinations but are simple examples to illustrate placement so I'm not convinced the diagrams are a definitive answer. 

I'm still unconvinced about the correct answer, but since posting this, according to the Mid-Atlantic Region, the Wing shoulder sleeve patch does not count towards the 4 maximum patches/batches per CAPR 39-1 (and that aligns with AFI 36-2903).

The verbiage is very clear and does not exempt the Wing patch, but it in fact does
callout the items that don't count towards the 4. The MAR CC, nor anyone else below NHQ can change that.

"5.1.2.3. Accoutrements. The total number of badges and patches worn will not exceed
four. The Command Insignia Pin, grade insignia, cloth nametape, and "Civil Air Patrol" tape do not count
against this total."

There is no basis in the verbiage to support Wing patches don't count.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Wing patches used to be mandatory, and did not count toward the maximum allowed number. Since they are, for the most part, no longer required, they fit into the four item limit.

That said, I think we have thoroughly beaten the horse. If you wish to have further discussion on this, PM me and the mods will give it consideration.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret