CCAlex

how was your encampment dance?

Eclipse

Most encampments don't have a dance.

"That Others May Zoom"

CCAlex

DakRadz

It was... Interesting.

One of the TAC officers was my DCC, and as a medic and human being, she has concerns for cadet's safety.

I have too much of her trust...
When the dance became a mosh pit, she put me in charge of Law & Order.

Luckily it calmed shortly after.... That was really fun, though. I enjoyed watching cadets, basic and staff, unwind after the stress of the week. :D It was entertaining.

Daniel

anyone else see slight moral issues with an encampment having a dance?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Hawk200

Quote from: Daniel L on July 28, 2010, 05:54:13 AM
What moral issues are there?

Spaceman3750

Follow the six inch rule, nobody out of sight, and strict supervision so no PDA or other mischief happens and in my book you are perfectly in the clear. However, your moral compass is different than mine is and that is encouraged :).

The logistical hurdle that you hit is how you properly supervise that number of people in an otherwise close and semi-dark environment. Not being a seasoned chaperon I don't have an answer for that.

OP: When I went to encampment as a cadet a few years ago we did not have dances, but honestly by the end of the week I would not have wanted to dance, just sleep and go home.

Patterson

Back in the 90's, we used to bet on how many "Encampment Babies" would pop up in the April/May time frame!

I won with a bet of 3 in 96 and 99.  It got me a nice case of my favorite beverage, and some $$.

Today, that practice in frowned upon!

Spaceman3750

EDIT: Post nuked, I think/hope the sarcasm tags were left out above...

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 06:28:31 AM

Follow the six inch rule, nobody out of sight, and strict supervision so no PDA or other mischief happens and in my book you are perfectly in the clear. However, your moral compass is different than mine is and that is encouraged :).

The logistical hurdle that you hit is how you properly supervise that number of people in an otherwise close and semi-dark environment. Not being a seasoned chaperon I don't have an answer for that.

OP: When I went to encampment as a cadet a few years ago we did not have dances, but honestly by the end of the week I would not have wanted to dance, just sleep and go home.

I'm lucky mowg doesnt have dances. I've always been socially awkward so it would not have turned out well for ol'Danny  :(

edit: What kinda music would they play at these here shindigs?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

That's exactly why you should go to those types of things -to lose the awkwardness. Hang out with a buddy and chat it up with some new people. I was the same way in high school, not doing many things for whatever reason. Looking back, I wish I had done more "stuff" because now I feel like I missed out on a lot.

I still maintain that I wouldn't have wanted a dance at the end of encampment, for the same reason that I didn't go off base with any classmates or bother with canteen Friday night at NESA - I had just finished a long week of work and I was way too exhausted. But that's different than not being involved due to social concerns. YMMV

Edit: Most DJs carry censored versions of most popular songs for school dances. May as well use the same list.

Late night musings from my phone. Carry on :)

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:32:30 AM
That's exactly why you should go to those types of things -to lose the awkwardness. Hang out with a buddy and chat it up with some new people. I was the same way in high school, not doing many things for whatever reason. Looking back, I wish I had done more "stuff" because now I feel like I missed out on a lot.

I still maintain that I wouldn't have wanted a dance at the end of encampment, for the same reason that I didn't go off base with any classmates or bother with canteen Friday night at NESA - I had just finished a long week of work and I was way too exhausted. But that's different than not being involved due to social concerns. YMMV

Late night musings from my phone. Carry on :)

So no comment about the whole music thing eh!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

See my edit. SMF doesn't warn of edits before you post sadly.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:37:43 AM
See my edit. SMF doesn't warn of edits before you post sadly.

Well from what I understand, CAP cant bring drugs, sex, or violence into its enviroment

and if you go down a top40 list 39 of them are out.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

Good point. That's probably why most encampments don't have them.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:44:21 AM
Good point. That's probably why most encampments don't have them.

I have an idea, instead of dances, break out the glowstick and strobelights, we'll have a rave.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

When I think rave I think illicit substances and mist parents will too. Of course, both of us being upstanding members we don't see it that way, but it's all about perception.

A few months back student life on campus had a foam party. Variation of the same idea without the connotations. Introduces the logistical burden of white Tshirts though.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:50:57 AM
When I think rave I think illicit substances and mist parents will too. Of course, both of us being upstanding members we don't see it that way, but it's all about perception.

A few months back student life on campus had a foam party. Variation of the same idea without the connotations. Introduces the logistical burden of white Tshirts though.

well cadets should bring white v-necks right?

and I was joking about the rave, I wanted you to think that.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

White tshirts when wet or soapy are bad, you can see through them. The point was that it's hard to make sure nobodys wearing them (just came to me that you could have flight eggs check before leaving the barracks so maybe it's a moot point).

Edit: you were down a good path with the rave idea though, you just can't call it that. That's why I treated it seriously even though it was a joke.
I about flipped when I saw Pattons post until I caught on though :p.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:59:51 AM
White tshirts when wet or soapy are bad, you can see through them. The point was that it's hard to make sure nobodys wearing them (just came to me that you could have flight eggs check before leaving the barracks so maybe it's a moot point).

have them do it in a uniform like pts which here are a black t-shirt with navy-blue shorts. the only thing is I see host facilities getting p.oed
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416