Orange PAWG cap: R.I.P.

Started by Panache, September 15, 2014, 07:12:14 AM

Nearly Dark Side

Quote from: lordmonar on September 16, 2014, 12:02:56 AM
When they change their orange T-shirts....which is a clear violation of 39-1 then I will accept that there is a real culture shift.

Of all the HMRS bling and plumage......the orange hat at least has some practical application as an ES uniform.

Speaking as a PAWG member, what orange shirts? In regards to ES I'll be sad to see the orange cover go but I am glad that finally we have a single uniform, or at least nearly so, across the program as a whole.

Jaison009

http://capranger.org/index.html. You can then look at the BX, senior basic course, staff photos, etc. and will see the notorious orange tshirts that are being referenced.

Quote from: C/2d Lt Collins on September 16, 2014, 03:42:41 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 16, 2014, 12:02:56 AM
When they change their orange T-shirts....which is a clear violation of 39-1 then I will accept that there is a real culture shift.

Of all the HMRS bling and plumage......the orange hat at least has some practical application as an ES uniform.

Speaking as a PAWG member, what orange shirts? In regards to ES I'll be sad to see the orange cover go but I am glad that finally we have a single uniform, or at least nearly so, across the program as a whole.

Mitchell 1969

Do you suppose they'll arrest the PA Wing Commander for this decision? After all, for years, nay, DECADES, people in PA WG have been confidently stating that "orange caps are REQUIRED by 'state law'"

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Panache

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 17, 2014, 06:46:17 AM
Do you suppose they'll arrest the PA Wing Commander for this decision? After all, for years, nay, DECADES, people in PA WG have been confidently stating that "orange caps are REQUIRED by 'state law'"

Well, I never said that.

Now, if we have CAP members out in state game lands during hunting season, then, yes, the orange caps are required by law.  But then again, that raises the question as to why we have CAP members out in state game lands during hunting season...

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panache on September 17, 2014, 08:15:23 AM

Well, I never said that.

Now, if we have CAP members out in state game lands during hunting season, then, yes, the orange caps are required by law.  But then again, that raises the question as to why we have CAP members out in state game lands during hunting season...

Pheasant season starts October 25 in PA. So maybe six weeks ...  8)

MacGruff

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 17, 2014, 09:30:23 AM
Quote from: Panache on September 17, 2014, 08:15:23 AM

Well, I never said that.

Pheasant season starts October 25 in PA. So maybe six weeks ...  8)

Maybe that's why that directive does not take effect until the end of the year???    :o >:D >:D >:D

Panache

Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
(BLAM!)

sarmed1

from the pa state game lands regulations:

"Except on Sundays, to be present on state game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of fluorescent orange material on the head, chest and back combined, or, in lieu therof, a hat of the same colored material. Orange material must be visible 360 degrees. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted."

so there is your "legal" requirement for PA orange hats.  If you live in PA, keep one in your gear just in case (I would say having an orange hard hat would otherwise suffice)

I look forward to the updated 39-1 supplement, its always interesting. 

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Eclipse

No issue - the hat becomes "gear", not a uniform item.

Wear it when conditions mandate, stow it after the mission.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

250 square inches. A hat might barely qualify, if you count all the material on both sides.. yes, the side you can't see.. ;-)

Майор Хаткевич

Honestly...how bad are these hunters? Do I look like a turkey?

A.Member

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 17, 2014, 03:55:32 PM

"Except on Sundays, to be present on state game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of fluorescent orange material on the head, chest and back combined, or, in lieu therof, a hat of the same colored material. Orange material must be visible 360 degrees. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted."

so there is your "legal" requirement for PA orange hats.  If you live in PA, keep one in your gear just in case (I would say having an orange hard hat would otherwise suffice)

MK
This is a non-issue and doesn't require any changes to our existing regs to meet the letter of the law or comply with safety practices. 

Per CAPR 62-1, ground team members are required to wear a vest (reg allows orange or lime green).  Ensure it's orange and the issue is addressed from all angles. 

Next.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

sarmed1

Quote from: A.Member on September 17, 2014, 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: sarmed1 on September 17, 2014, 03:55:32 PM

MK
This is a non-issue and doesn't require any changes to our existing regs to meet the letter of the law or comply with safety practices. 

Per CAPR 62-1, ground team members are required to wear a vest (reg allows orange or lime green).  Ensure it's orange and the issue is addressed from all angles. 

Next.

I think the hat is more to the intent of the "...must be visable for 360 degrees...".  The point wanst a reg needy change; the point was that was the supposed justification of the existence and mandate for all members in PA wing to wear the orange hat and the belief it was "required by state law".  (and likely originating before the orange vest requirement)  But as Eclipse pointed out at this point it is more "gear" than uniform and not really regulatory required (however this same argument has and will be made for boonie hats)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Simplex

Duck Season!
Rabbit Season!

That's classic!!!

a2capt

arajca

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 17, 2014, 05:49:18 PM
I think the hat is more to the intent of the "...must be visable for 360 degrees...".  The point wanst a reg needy change; the point was that was the supposed justification of the existence and mandate for all members in PA wing to wear the orange hat and the belief it was "required by state law".  (and likely originating before the orange vest requirement)  But as Eclipse pointed out at this point it is more "gear" than uniform and not really regulatory required (however this same argument has and will be made for boonie hats)

mk
And the AF emphatically said "NO!!!!!!!!!!" End of discussion.Not even throwing the 'safety' card made them budge. Unless you wear the field uniform.

abdsp51

Quote from: arajca on September 17, 2014, 10:07:58 PM
And the AF emphatically said "NO!!!!!!!!!!" End of discussion.Not even throwing the 'safety' card made them budge. Unless you wear the field uniform.

That's because boonies are not worn in the AF unless in theater and then when it's authorized.  Outside of maybe some AFSCs here in CONUS it's not worn even in the field. 

TarRiverRat

Quote from: Panache on September 17, 2014, 01:47:59 PM
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
(BLAM!)

We really need a "LIKE" button!
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panache on September 17, 2014, 01:47:59 PM
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
(BLAM!)

Classic. That is funny anywhere  :clap:

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on September 17, 2014, 05:08:12 PM
250 square inches. A hat might barely qualify, if you count all the material on both sides.. yes, the side you can't see.. ;-)

No, but I bet that orange vest you're supposed to wear over your BDU's is over 250 square inches...